What’s up today? (Part 1)

The CyberPandemic will happen as they’ve described. It will shut power off worldwide for weeks. When they turn the power on they will blame it all on free access to the internet and then require this type of surveillance to access the web. Time is short for the Safe Network. We need it sooner rather than later ever if it is slow and clunky to begin with.

1 Like

If that happens it’s curtains for society too.

1 Like

They are all constructs of human making and can be torn down by humans too. These systems only exist while folks allow them to. We should never forget this.

We shouldn’t underestimate the change that the crypto space is bringing. When state and money become separate, the bankers will lose much of their power. Likewise, the state won’t be able to afford such overreach.

Safe network will be awesome, but many other blockchain projects contribute to the hope that we should nurture. Don’t dwell on the bad news that you can’t change. Instead, think about the great things this technology will usher in.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Very skeptical of the worldwide part. The Internet, power production and the oligarchy - none of these are monolithic. There is no single switch controlled by a single group of a single mindset.

Certainly there will be places though where bad things are going to happen.

5 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion of Covid-19 information (No holds barred)

Just some fun:

3 Likes

This article from Cory Doctorow, from a talk at the Chaos Computer Club in Berlin in 2011, is incredible. I imagine many have read it but I just came across it. It is remarkably relevant to ‘what’s up today’

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2021/08/31/why-america-should-suddenly-prepare-for-a-billion-dollar-internet-apocalypse-caused-by-the-sun/?sh=2203e51d52f9

1 Like

Go figure right? The rich co-opt crypto cause they can easily afford the risk others aren’t willing or able to take and the evangelists welcome them with open arms.

Tbh, with bitcoin I never expected it to drastically change the world the way as it was told to for so long. Now the same types of people are saying it will end war. Really? Lol, I’ll just say I’m skeptical.

Blockchain should be used to keep governments transparent and accountable but all I see happening is it being used by governments to more easily tax, surveil, and for the rich transfer and preserve their already established wealth.

Of course it’s not all bad but ever drifting further from its vision, I think.

What gives me hope for Safe Network is anyone can participate and earn by farming which also helps secure the commons privacy and security and therefore, freedoms. The choice to remain unknown as well. To not be tracked. To have a private and unlinkable medium of exchange.

I’m sure someday it will get more corporate and stiff than what any of us would care for but at least it should always do more of what it’s intended to do and not less when in the wrong hands.

2 Likes

The belief of crypto disrupting society lies in a limited supply crypto becoming day to day money … bitcoin as a store of value is great, but gold and silver provide a similar function, so bitcoin isn’t adding much to the table. Maybe with lightning and adoption of BTC as money in El Salvador there is more of a move toward disruption, but we aren’t there yet. Safe could speed up this transition a lot for multiple reasons IMO … but overall I still belief that crypto will ultimately disrupt everything and remove the massive thick glass ceiling that is pressing down on the masses via the fiat printing press.

2 Likes

I generally agree, except differ slightly on the certainty of the Safe Network becoming corporate and stiff. It is probably the most likely outcome, in the sense that it has been very consistently the case since the beginning of capitalism - private capital gets its mitts on everything, nothing is out of bounds.

It makes sense and is totally ‘rational’ - the corporate world has crazy amounts of resources, so big money will be thrown into attempt after attempt at controlling the network (or anything else seen as worth controlling, i.e., life-saving drugs, vaccines, operating systems, seeds, forests).

The reason I wouldn’t call it inevitable is that it’s very hard to say how people will react to what Safe will provide. Safe may be about to upgrade everyone’s personal computer into a thing which has new superpowers - digital cash; easy anonymity even for Gran; free communications with anyone; reliable, trustworthy, uncensorable public data.

Institutions tend to do roughly as much as they can get away with… It’s very hard to say what will happen to journalism, whistleblowing, transparency organisations, activist networks, public-interest hackers, etc, a few years into Safe being live.

In short, Safe will only be corporate and stiff if society remains corporate and stiff, and I’m less convinced of that being a certainty than others seem to be.

For me the question is - how much of what big corporations and states get away with is due to it being actually acceptable to people, and how much is due to the fact that public discourse has been reduced to a shit-throwing contest where truth and reality, fairness and justice, matter for precisely nothing?

How much is due to the fact that ‘news’ has been reduced to this endless, meaningless running around in circles after some scapegoat to blame for everything? Immigrants, the unvaccinated, the Chinese, the Arabs, the uneducated, the educated, rednecks, racists, feminists, Trump supporters, Antifa, and on and on.

Success of news stories is measured in clicks now, and our grip on reality is being warped. Will Safe cut through this?

Anyway, rant over. I find this question fascinating, I can’t wait to see what happens :smile:

7 Likes

3 Likes

Ditto, I feel we need even more magic to happen around launch, something like mass adoption of actual trade, not SNT<->$ but goods&services<->SNT<->goods&services if we can crack even the start of that, say music, programs/code, AI networks, books and papers, consulting/consultants, concert tickets etc. etc. So some kind of economic breakthrough where a form of barter can happen or similar.

11 Likes

Getting a giant like PayPal or Ebay interested would be a good start.

They tend to be SNT<->$ though and that mistake has been made I feel. We need to be smarter than those who have gone before, so I feel we need to go further somehow.

4 Likes

That sounds like community adoption.

1 Like

It may be the best way to start, now sure though. I am sure there will be some great ideas but we need to push the envelope and get off the beaten path. It’s a nice problem though.

2 Likes

It would be great for the official currency of Mars. Elon, are you listening?