Beta Phase Two starts tomorrow

Reminder: Beta Phase Two starts tomorrow at Tuesday, October 1, 2024 9:00 AM CST

What you need to know:
-When we give the signal you’ll need to reset your nodes, using the latest Node Launchpad or Node Manager (CLI).
-We are testing much bigger nodes: up from 5 GB to 35 GB (including space for logs).
-Another 500,000 tokens are up for grabs
-It’s all down to your node earnings, and a single weekly leaderboard.
-Right at 9 AM CST uploads will begin :fire:

20 Likes

So at that time you will release new update ?

2 Likes

Is this now open to anyone or only currently “registered” participants?

@rusty.spork

1 Like

Its open to anyone who has a discord account in the discord server

Usually there is no set time and often changes happen close to release time. Best to wait for announcement before upgrading

So today my time.

3 Likes

Open to everyone regardless of waves.

3 Likes

Yes, please do wait for the announcment before upgrading, but we are targetting 1400 GMT (1st October) for it all to happen, with nanos flowing from the very start.

6 Likes

Sooo, we are just starting and rapidly racing toward 100k nodes.

Let’s assume that most of those nodes are going to be under-provisioned.

Humans will always try to squeeze max out of whats possible especially when financially motivated.

Now if Maidsafe can somehow find enough data to fill the network where does that end, tears?

Is there a potential happy ending?

3 Likes

Thin provisioning does often end in tears.

Does the Launchpad check that the full amount of storage that will be used by the number of nodes set is actually available? That would be sensible.

2 Likes

Maybe at around 10% full some under-provisioned nodes cannot deliver chunks they are supposed to hold. Then they are kicked out, and the rest of the nodes get fuller, the prices rice, and Maidsafe cannot afford to upload anymore! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Not sure but if the network is seemingly going to be as big in node numbers as before I find it difficult to believe that 35GB is allocated to each node.

Yes likely, but it is going to cause a load of turbulence… and probably tears I guess.

2 Likes

Nah… It’s just a test and would be great to see how this kind of situation plays out.

4 Likes

:rofl: only a test but also madness to contend with at this stage.

5 Likes

So, to have a chance I should actually run as many nodes as my CPU+memory+router etc. allows, nevermind the HD space? Then to kill the nodes off when my HD space seems to be filling.

Because the chance of getting a paid chunk is depending on how many nodes I have, not how big they are?

Right?

1 Like

Some form of shunning of nodes that don’t have the required disk space is needed I would think.

I wonder if nodes can query each other for allocated disk space somehow and shun right from the start instead of waiting for the sh*t to hit the fan.

6 Likes

Yeah, otherwise we lose all the marginal the fixed node size and pricing curve are meant to achieve, and could as well go with a free market pricing.

2 Likes

I think years ago there was an idea to fill the whole node space with just more copies of chunks. They could be used for at least:

1. Proof of space
  2. Extra redundancy of data.

Without solid proofs, I think we are left with people just stuffing up their devices with as many nodes as possible, nevermind the space. And then we lose the margin of the network to fill up and once it’s getting full, we get all the horror of cascading effects…

3 Likes

Yeah I was just sitting here thinking that the most fundamental part of the network is storage capacity
We as far as I can tell are leaving it up to node operators who’s incentive is rewards to ensure that nodes are adequately provisioned.

Even if shunning eventually kicks in, it seems very fragile.

4 Likes

Doesn’t the launchpad stop this? Will that be the only way to run nodes in the future?

As does the assumption that folks will obey pricing curve for setting the node prices for them. As far as I know, there are no decent way to enforce the pricing at the moment, but I may be wrong.

1 Like

Idk I don’t use it. But even if it does that will not stop anyone motivated to run max nodes. The network needs to enforce the rules.

5 Likes