What’s up today? (Part 1)

Great interview @nicklambert

6 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Alexander knows his stuff, so fingers crossed…

6 Likes

Hmmm… seems to be quite an old case, decided in June 2018. I wonder what’s changed?

3 Likes

No, not a lot of follow-up it seems.

Found this, dated July 18, 2019, in “Isis”, “student magazine”, Oxford University:

Keeping Tabs

In the UK, we haven’t had our Carpenter v. United States yet. If you Google “CSLI US” you’ll find hundreds of results about privacy, with news outlets reporting the monumental Supreme Court case, Youtube videos explaining how cell towers work, and article upon article celebrating the landmark ruling or looking forward to the future. Do the same with “CSLI UK”, and all that’s there is maths textbooks, computational linguistics analysis, and an NGO called the Lazarus Union whose website looks like it was made in 2002.

And::

In 2016, the British government released an appendix to its Codes of Practice and Conduct, put together by the inspiringly-titled Forensic Science Regulator. It’s pretty difficult to find, but the title reads “Appendix: Digital Forensics – Cell site analysis.” It’s 23 pages long (bear in mind that the pdf. of Carpenter v. US is an enormous 119-page document). Nowhere in the directives are the implications of the technique mentioned. The word ‘privacy’ doesn’t appear once.

3 Likes

Mesmorising and fascinating…

8 Likes

The Social Network #movie is on UK Freeview tonight, 9pm. Sony Movie channel. I’ve not seen it yet.

1 Like

It is very frustrating to see that none has been trying to reduce the population growth in third world countries, they should have started reduce population growth in the 90’s or earlier.

A planet with limited resources can’t have unlimited growth. If the population growth was reduced then I think most of the worlds population today could have a good living standard. Instead this unlimited growth gives horrible effects of violence, wars, starvation, slavery, trafficing and unsustainable stress to the planet. That no organisation like UN or similar works for reduction in population growth allows for horrible circumstances today and maybe alot more horrific events in the future, it makes me sad and frustrated sometimes.

2 Likes

Librem and e Foundation, a member of which appeared on this forum a few months ago to tell us about it, but unfortunately I can’t search for ‘e’.

3 Likes
1 Like

Old, but just came across this…

1 Like

Definitely not true, UN Development Program does amazing work to address this (it may seem like they don’t address population growth directly but their actions often are the best way to achieve stable population, eg educating women, providing meaningful income, improving child mortality rates, etc).

I highly recommend reading Common Wealth by Jeffrey Sachs if this area is interesting to you.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently “Nearly three-quarters of the URLs accessed from a typical web cache are “one-hit-wonders” that are accessed by users only once and never again.”

5 Likes

For sure bloom filters will help our cache. Even false positives are not too much an issue, but recent advances avoid that to a great extent. As our “cache” is a series of hopes then it works even better (in false positive). In any case it is for sure a nice optimisation to save wasted space and increase hits.

8 Likes

Robots are becoming increasingly autonomous…

4 Likes
1 Like