MaidSafeCoin (MAID) - Price & Trading topic (Part 1)

Only honest British honey (oil seed rape, bramble, raspberry, cherry, apple, lime tree etc). Oh and Scottish heather honey, which according to the Saudis is the best Scotland has to offer. Although that hopefully might change soon! (to get slightly back on topic :smile:)

8 Likes

Is your honey going to be the alpaca socks of the safecoin world? :slight_smile:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Alpaca

7 Likes

i want those alpaca socks!

3 Likes

Ha! Iā€™ll make sure thereā€™s enough stock :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this gonna be MaidSafeā€™s version of the 10,000 BTC pizza?
The one million dollar honey jar

6 Likes

Holy jeez that actually was a thing

Thatā€™s worth over $10 MILLION dollars right now lol

3 Likes

Yuanbao is back on MAIDā€™s market list on cap. :tada:

Not sure what this is all aboutā€¦ * Volume Excluded - No Trading Fees / Other

1 Like

Itā€™s too easy to fake volume if you donā€™t charge trading feesā€¦ selling from the left hand to the right, so to speak.

Coinmarketcap therefore excludes vol stats from exchanges that donā€™t charge fees. All the chinese ones used to be excluded, before the PBOC got involved and most introduced fees.

EDIT: Looks like its a mistake too, they do charge a 0.2% fee to sell. Coinmarketcap probably should be including it. Not that it matters, itā€™s only a couple of % of the volume atm.

4 Likes

Doesnā€™t that depend on the time interval and duration you pick? For instance, if you were to zoom to one week and have an interval of 30 mins, youā€™ll probably find the price trend lies somewhere else entirely. I donā€™t really understand how this works, presumably the values you pick depend on the length of your trade. Could do with a pointer to a simple explanation.

In my experience it tends to work on multiple time-frames and for other assets (Bitcoin for example). I also think the longer the time-frame, the more signal and the less noise. I definitely put more emphasis on weekly and monthly charts. The problem is, that for MaidSafe coin we donā€™t have a long history, so the daily scales are all I can find.

To clarify, I am very much an investor and not a trader. There are reams on data that show day trading is the quick path to the poor house. My method is to start by using one of the longer term moving averages, as long as possible really: 200-day, 250-day, 300-day. First question, is it pointing up? If yes, we have a rising trend. Overlaying 2 shorter-term moving averages (20-day and 50-day) then, we would like to see the 20-day rising and above the 50-day and the fifty day rising and above the 200-day. This indicates a rising trend and suggests you should be long. The reverse here is also true, though I never go short.

The Bollinger Bands start with a 20-period moving average (4-hour or daily for MAID). Thatā€™s the centre line, with the upper and lower bands each 2 standard deviations away for the 20-period moving average. In my experience, charts donā€™t like ā€˜white spaceā€™, meaning they fill it. So price will tend to gravitate between the centre line (20-period moving average) and the upper or lower bands, 2 standard deviations away. Once price ā€˜leavesā€™ one of these it tends to move to the other.

Ideally, what I want to see is a long-term chart, where prices oscillates between the upper Bollinger Band and the 5/10 month moving averages, with all pointing up. This is typical of a strong long-term trend. Unfortunately we donā€™t have that kind of data yet, for MaidSafe coin, but hereā€™s the Nasdaq100. Notice how this was the case from 2010 to the beginning of 2015 where price pretty much moved between the upper BB and the green (5-month) and red (10-month) moving averages.

Not sure if that answers your question, so feel free to

5 Likes

Yes thatā€™s very helpful, thank you. Your statement that you are investor rather than a trader clarifies things a great deal. Iā€™ve been reading a bit about Bollinger bands and the various moving averages and I (mostly) get the theory, but when it comes to applying that theory everyone seems to have their own version of a lucky rabbitā€™s foot, especially with short-term trades.

3 Likes

Yes. Absolutely true. Like any skill, I think it takes a lot of time, and even then thereā€™s no guarantee, and itā€™s highly subjective. Itā€™s certainly more profitable and probably enjoyable to learn how to code, than to learn how to invest.

3 Likes

Actually the application of any science is always an art.
It is highly dependent on the skill of the practitioner.
I am not validating TA, as I personally think it is baloney, but we shouldnā€™t judge it based on how ā€œsubjectiveā€ is itā€™s application as it is the case in any applied science.

Medicine, Physics, Mechanics, etcā€¦ The scientific aspect is on the research part, in the creation of the knowledge.
Diagnosticians, applied physics and applied engineering, are really a whole different universe that depends on personal aptitude, subjective and personal interpretation, and a great deal of intuition and luck.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s true, particularly for medicine, but I wonder how far it applies to trading? In the natural sciences the art is in controlling the conditions to get reproducible outcomes and interpreting the results. In trading though this is very difficult because markets are basically chaotic and itā€™s very hard to create reproducible conditions. There are undoubtedly a few skilled traders who succeed on merit, but for the vast majority success is down to dumb luck (which their ego interprets as raw talent of course) over the short term. Over time they will revert to the mean - or perhaps not even that. There is a fascinating study of stockpickers by the economist Daniel Kahneman The Illusion of Stock-Picking Skill which is really worth a read.

Briefly, the tldr; is that he studied the performance of 25 investment advisors over 8 years and found almost zero correlation between their performance year on year. The ā€˜successfulā€™ advisors were those who in their early years had had a lucky roll of the dice. In fact some of the ā€˜successfulā€™ advisors he studied did significantly worse than chance.

Many individual investors lose consistently by trading, an achievement that a dart-throwing chimp could not match.

He also says:

The evidence from more than 50 years of research is conclusive: for a large majority of fund managers, the selection of stocks is more like rolling dice than like playing poker. At least two out of every three mutual funds underperform the overall market in any given year.

They are only ā€˜successfulā€™ because itā€™s a closed system propped up by bonus schemes and individual and company reputations.

While this is a slightly different field from currency trading, Iā€™d be willing to bet the same rules apply. Certainly worth thinking about before you put on your water wings and go swimming in the shark pool (or wandering in the Trollbox).

4 Likes

Trading patterns are a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. If enough people are looking for the same thing and acting in the same way, it becomes a reality.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve tried different things and one thing I know for sure is day-trading isnā€™t my piece of cake. I think itā€™s a skill that offers a huge amount of time and training and even then itā€™s no precise math like said before.

I also always strong believed that the self fulfilling prophecy is created by the believes of the proā€™s and is guided through the studies of the theory on technical trading.

Iā€™m starting to notice that knowledge of the project is of much more importance in this crypto trading.
Iā€™m not talking of usd forex, Nasdaq or similar. Probably there are other rules or technical moves that work much better but for the thing weā€™re in like crypto those arenā€™t that important yet imo.

I also believe weā€™re in a scene where weā€™ll have many years opportunities to make big money by doing research on your project and going long on it. Know what you buy.
Long for a week, a month, a year, ā€¦
The longer Iā€™m busy with it now the better I see opportunities that make sense.

5 Likes

I also believe weā€™re in a scene where weā€™ll have many years opportunities to make big money by doing research on your project and going long on it. Know what you buy. Long for a week, a month, a year, ā€¦ The longer Iā€™m busy with it now the better I see opportunities that make sense.

Thatā€™s where Iā€™m at too. Backing a promising project with credible people and an interesting vision that ties in with the way I see the world progressing at a level I can afford. In some ways itā€™s great that itā€™s not an exact science or the algorithms would win every time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the way I see it and this wonā€™t quit the first decade(s) imo. This is crazy sh*t what is happening!
Weā€™re only at the start of a faster and faster growing economy. So many projects that will go insane.

If you look at golem (not because itā€™s today polo day) but the project itself. You can say now that this project probably will be big and have much money in it in a few years.

Things can go wrong like for example synereo split but if you chose the right project with decent people the money wonā€™t be lost, it will only take much longer as you expected to get where you wanted to be.
Synereo had an amazing crowdfunding on Bnktothefuture but internally things went wrong between ceo and cto. Now synereo holders have the opportunity to hold (stay synereo) and wait, or to move the coins to the new project created by the cto who left the team and started another company (RChain).
Both will survive i think but it will take longer than expected.
Synereo is on the right place to find (probably already has) the right skilled people and RChain CTO is the math guy who works on different protocols like casper new poS mechanism for ethereum. So as long as these people bring these progressive ideas to life then things will work out in the long run.
The world is big enough.

I have no money on any of these projects but if you have I canā€™t see big disasters happening if you have time.
There are so many good projects and there will be only more in the coming years.

2 Likes

Day trading is based on two things, luck and scheming.

I find daytrading very inefficient and just not worthit.

3 Likes