What’s up today? (Part 1)

WTH this social ranking thing is turning out of control. This is so worrying for mankind’s future
Edit: Very interesting article about a concept of our future together with machines

Human beings will never stop seeking beauty, Zamyatin insists, because they are human. They will reject and destroy any attempt to reorder their desires according to the logic of machines.

A national or global surveillance network that uses beneficent algorithms to reshape human thoughts and actions in ways that elites believe to be just or beneficial to all mankind is hardly the road to a new Eden. It’s the road to a prison camp. The question now—as in previous such moments—is how long it will take before we admit that the riddle of human existence is not the answer to an equation.

5 Likes

Apparently, Binance is rewriting their backend in Rust…

4 Likes

@Future really enjoyed that article thanks.

Our inability to wrap our minds around a sweeping revolution in the way that information is gathered, analyzed, used, and controlled should scare us.

The question now—as in previous such moments—is how long it will take before we admit that the riddle of human existence is not the answer to an equation. It is something that we must each make for ourselves, continually, out of our own materials, in moments whose permanence is only a dream.

2 Likes

@JoeSmithJr wont be long until parsec is used by somebody else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

John Carmack is experimenting with Rust :smiley:

6 Likes

What underhanded actions?
And it is listed on a distributed exchange…

When Poloniex announced they would be doing KYC and anyone who did not submit info would not be allowed to trade and would be able to withdraw their coins. Well when the day came people were unable to withdraw their coins. Very bad indeed

1 Like

Ok. Yeah thats not acceptable.
But compared to most of the exchanges i found them pretty good.
They did things that upset me from time to time, but did alot better than many exchanges. (Like the many that just got “hacked” .

4 Likes

This is a big concern, thanks for sharing.
The source link is kind of an over-moderated ghost town now, and the discussion was moved to a Google group at the request of a mod here .
It’s quite lively and informative in there.

This is a serious move away from user-controlled data transfer and I think represents a real threat to the chromium project.

1 Like

That is actually more or less what neo said in the post after i asked.
And just a thought, but maybe people wouldnt seem so defensive if they didnt feel you were on the attack.
If people were to ask advice on where to purchase maid, poloniex is a suitable option for many.
Just because you personally feel it should not be reccomended does not mean it should not.

If your mad at polo i understand that.
But there is no need to try and battle out those issues on this forum.

2 Likes

Ok. Call me immature… ( more attack)…
Ima big boy i can take it.
It was my opinion, based on how i thought you were coming accross over a few posts.
I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first or last time, but my opinion it is

1 Like

Not quite today, but thought it good enough for it since I don’t think anyone mentioned Elon Musk’s recent hobby The future we’re building – and boring

Its about building a road system underground. Most people have weird and/or sensible ideas to improve the world, this guy though has the money whether the idea is sensible or weird.

3 Likes
1 Like

Happy Privacy Day Everyone !!

12 Likes

This of course applies to all the development, that aims at making any production more handy, more streamlined etc. I myself design formworks for certain industry and I always try to make them as easy to use as possible, requiring as little man hours in the factory, as ever possible. If I wouldn’t, I’d soon be replaced by someone else. And frankly, I enjoy thinking about design from the UX point of view.

The problem is in the system that doesn’t really appreciate much other values that money. If the goal was to produce things in the most ecological way for example, it would in many cases mean using human muscles instead of some other source of energy. Like in farming it would be much more energy efficient to plow the fields with bare human muscle powers instead of using tractors that weigh several tonnes and uses only small part of their energy consumption to the actual plowing. (More is used to carry around the machine that carries around the plow.) Of course using human muscles for plowing is not more time efficient or (in current economical system) not even more cost efficient. But it is difficult to beat the ratio of calories burnt / area plowed, when we compare human work against any other methods, even horses, oxes etc.

As long as our economy runs on the calories found in the ground in a form of cheap fossil fuel, there is certain delusion of efficiency going on. Especially when the CO2 and other pollution has very cheap price tag, if any at all.

1 Like

I have a growing braincrush on Elon.

2 Likes

Two mentions in two weeks. Someone’s having a crush on MaidSafe.

17 Likes

Found this thread asking “What do you look for before learning new tech?” Some of the answers are interesting and could be useful from the perspective of attracting developers and users to SAFE.

Quote:

11 Likes

Logged in on twitter just to give those comments a like.

3 Likes

The Urbit primer was interesting read, thanks for posting those @dewild

1 Like