What’s up today? (Part 1)

“The wine is good, but the beer is too cold. These chaps to the north could learn a thing or three about how to make cider. I do like the seafood though, hic”
“Fair looking forward to my croissants dans le matin, toute le meme”

It just found out who it’s neighbors were :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah those Faroe Islanders…

2 Likes

The Faroe islanders that have been COVID free for 3 weeks? The ones that didnt vote for Tory scum? Those ones?

I don’t think I’ll be visiting the US until some things change over there. Very sad.

6 Likes

Jippy these kids are on board :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Half a year has passed, we are half a year closer to Fleming :dragon: :rocket: :dragon:

8 Likes
7 Likes

Google continues boiling frogs, soon you will have to expose your identity to use translate:

12 Likes

TerminusDB: Interesting open source time based database for historical data of all kinds, git like features, using RDF / JSON-LD for content and worries (not SPARQL) with many innovative features (originally from Uni of Dublin). Check first two posts:

1 Like

Cool! We can even boot the latest version of Raspbian from USB on an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4.

Well, not exactly because Raspbian has been renamed to Raspberry Pi OS.

Or how to replace a short memorable name with one that is long and generic and also hard to find in Google (but I am not a marketing guy, so who am I to judge this move).

6 Likes

This is the problem with the marketing people. They are not the users of the product and therefore their work is mediocre. Marketing should be in the hands of people who have skin in the game… :dragon: :wink: :dragon:

2 Likes

Done some researches and now I understand why:

• The new 64-bit operating system doesn’t use software from the Raspbian project anymore (but directly from Debian)

• The Raspbian project leader explained that he doesn’t want the Raspbian name used for something that doesn’t incorporate code from his project (see Goodbye Raspbian hello Raspberry Pi OS - Raspberry Pi Forums)

• Debian couldn’t be used in the name because they also build their own images for the Raspberry Pi

So, they settled for Raspberry Pi OS. Not a sexy name, but there were too many constraints.

A: So, what’s the new name of the Raspberry Pi OS?
B: Raspberry Pi OS
A: Yes, the new name, please?
B: Raspberry Pi OS, the operating system.
A: Yes, the operating system. Used to be called Raspbian. What’s the new name?
B: The Raspberry Pi OS, formerly known as Raspbian.
A: Yes, what is the new name?
B: Why are you shouting? It’s just Raspberry Pi OS!
A: How can you call a bold new step in Raspberry Pi systems development, just an OS?
B: Sigh

7 Likes

I wonder what’s up today in Washington.
https://twitter.com/sweeteneragb1/status/1267427659346296832?s=20

2 Likes

Seems fine:

1 Like

You’re probably correct. I better try to stay away from Twitter.

3 Likes

Counterpoint…

2 Likes

DC is fine, been talking to someone from there

Just misinformation to make people worry.

@draw

And now the fake story is DC is burning to the ground, the whole city is on fire.

Fake news generated while the city sleeps and not that many to counter the fake claims

From someone in DC whom I am talking to

St. James Church in Washington DC had a small fire set in the basement, but it has already been extinguished. THe Trump kids are trying to play it up much bigger than it was.

3 Likes

No, Twitter is a very good source. Takes time to get used to and to use wisely (still learning ofc).

There are many excellent people to follow on all topics, and you get news faster the than anywhere else. You can engage with anyone. Hardest part is learning how to interact, when to respond or ignore, how to rely, when to block etc

And for the most part you choose what you see by following people you want to listen to, and use the “See latest tweets first” setting rather than “Home”. Every so often Twitter resets that so you have to watch out!

I don’t use any part of it that is algorithm based (suggestions, trending etc).

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/Aew2K/status/1267435048573251584?s=19

1 Like