What’s up today? (Part 1)

My problem is I’m not able to make a simple list of all languages that I understand. Some I understand more, some less, depending on the subject. I’m sure I don’t even know the names of some of the languages I could make some sense of reading.

The default or original language of a page is what I want to see myself. Then, if it just looks like gibberish to me, I like the option of selecting an alternative language. And obviously I want to be able to share what I see with others.

The use of national flags is common, but those really denote political entities, not languages. I think it’s best to denote languages by their name, e.g. “English (US)”, but there are different UX aspects to this question.

1 Like

It appears they also using your IP location to set the language and it even overrides your browser headers. My browser headers put English first contain no Danish or any other Germanic languages yet they serve me in Danish because my IP is from a country that lists German as an official language. Very arrogant web design happens all the time.

2 Likes

Arrogant. That’s a good word. Assuming everybody is the same and not giving choice. That’s exactly what it is.

1 Like

Google does the same but only for langs they do not support (that’s eg en_US and en :rofl:, but en_GB works), even if you’re openning a specific lang domain (Google.de) and your IP is from an other country.

1 Like

From what i understood of the bill was that it is the reporting of any and all transactions over $10K in cash.

Under the proposed law, all cash transactions between businesses and individuals would be limited to $10,000, and any amount over this would be considered criminal.

So person to person is OK

This guy in above report is a “shock Jock” and has no problems misrepresenting the facts

Claiming it will stop the under the table payments to tradies. Well its already illegal to do that and so this will not change that.

6 Likes

The truth of what’s happening in China and Iran … Don’t open if you’re weak-hearted!

https://archive.nothingburger.today/Videos/

1 Like

Media can be very deceiving.
I only watched 1 vid in food shortages in uk. (Even the vid showed full shelves)
I got my food shop delivered on saturday.
For the first time in many months I did not get any substitutes and got everything I ordered.
Of course I wasnt panic buying toilet roll or hand sanitizer or I might have had issues.
I wont watch more, dont need to invite horror into my life.
Keep calm and carry on.

2 Likes

There are also videos with kids in Iran … how they can’t breathe … this bothers me a lot…

1 Like

Thought kids are immun? I dont want to watch such things in the early morning…

1 Like

According to the Chinese, child mortality is low but not 0…

It’s good to be aware of what’s happening, being bothered by it is natural, but to worry will just lower your immune system and make you more susceptible.

4 Likes

My main concern is that many people still underestimate the danger. Too many people. Any information that may delay the virus is useful…

2 Likes

Millennium bug did not kill us.
Swine flu did not kill us.
Bird flu did not kill us.
SARS did not kill us.
I’m really not worried.

6 Likes

This is certainly not an event that will destroy civilization. But any slowdown in the early stages of exponential growth equals a saved life. Everyone who protects themselves in the early stages protects thousands of other people. When every second is infected you will only protect yourself…

1 Like

Posted as a single topic too.

4 Likes

There has been so much wolf crying in the media before - lately, depending on perspective - that it’s difficult to take anything seriously anymore. In my lifetime politics in general seem to have changed from the occasional politician’s lie to whole campaigns and offices built around lies and denial of facts, including natural science. And these people are winning by popular majority.

8 Likes
3 Likes

:mask: Don’t drop the Soap :soap:

3 Likes
2 Likes