What’s up today? (Part 1)

I, for one, welcome our future zombie overlords

1 Like

They used a generic algorithm to design the organisms and then made them out of organic material:

They started to do so by using a supercomputer to create thousands of possible designs for the new life-forms. It did so through a virtual version of evolution, with scientists setting the computer a task and it calculating what design might work best.

If it was asked to create a being that moved in a certain direction, for instance, it would try out hundreds of different possible ways to combine simulated cells into different shapes that would allow the life-form to do so. It worked using rules about what the simple cells that would serve as the materials could do, and at the end gave scientists theoretical designs for the life-forms.

The second part of the research then saw a microsurgeon and other researchers turn those designs into real life. They took stem cells from the embryos of African frogs, incubated them, and then used incredibly tiny tools to cut them apart and assemble them into the design that the computer had created.

2 Likes

But anything alive is unpredictable, and quoting Jurassic Park, “life finds a way”.

We will end up effing up our biosphere in ways we can’t foresee.

3 Likes

More on the above here:

And code:

1 Like

PS @Sascha ^^ recommended follow

7 Likes

Hallelujah, yes please.

6 Likes

That’s a good reason to completely boycott Apple, right there.

6 Likes

Its complete madness that I have a drawer full of charging cables. It takes us humans time to figure out how dumb we can be.

8 Likes

My android and my dell laptop is USB-C charger, so is my mac.
Common charger… accidentally brought about.

edit… so is my raspberry pi.

3 Likes

You have a significantly more organized charging life than I do then! I’d think you are in the very small minority… but perhaps I should start shopping based on charging ports :grin:

P.S. @Zoki is your bot still alive after polo?

2 Likes

Ah - I see it’s broken.
I need to automate available currency pairs.
It can’t detect MAID/BTC so has gone on strike.
I’ll see what I can do in my spare time this week.

:slight_smile:

I’m also going to have to write an extention so bitbot talks to chainrift.

2 Likes
1 Like

I just watched this DefCon 2019 Talk from one of the Tor maintainers, talking about their arms race between Tor and China/Iran/Russia/etc.

It’s pretty interesting how these countries work effectively to stop Tor and then Tor must be constantly changing to get around their latest blocking methods. I can see SAFE needing to deal with much of this, so it’s a pretty interesting talk to watch with SAFE in mind.

6 Likes

I use these Magnet USB Adapter Plugs - micro usb and tipe c. They are very useful to protect the port (phone, power bank, Trezor) from dust and distortion:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000057677552.html

1 Like

If that turns out to be true SAFE is doomed.

2 Likes

And watch the tax man knock on his door. The idiot had this happen previously.

4 Likes
3 Likes

New example: Svelte built visualisation of RDF using d3-force is online! Uses separate Svelte components to:

• load RDF (using graphy)
  • map RDF to objects for visualisation
  • display using d3-force on HTML Canvas

Live here: https://svelte-rdf-vis.now.sh/
Code: GitHub - happybeing/svelte-rdf-vis: Svelte RDF Visualisation Lab - prototype svelte visualisation components

2 Likes

So, is that pretty much all web browsers open source at their heart now? That’s pretty amazing when you think about the journey we have been on from Netscape and Internet Explorer fight to here. I also see it as a hugely positive thing.

Now, we just need to replace that other lingering piece of proprietary software… windows! :smiling_imp: year of the linux desktop anyone?! :rofl:

5 Likes