Telegram group!

I’ve created a telegram for the Safe network community i feel this is needed. Feel free to join!

Would be nice if a few developers of the SAFE network join as well :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Is telegram secure now?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure, it’s pretty good now a lot of altcoins started using telegram.

3 Likes

Gonna! 20… 19 char

1 Like

I’d say it’s probably secure enough for most use cases. Are you asking this because they did the silly thing of “rolling their own” crypto?

1 Like

Some people don’t want to give telegram their mobile phone number, so while others may not see your number, telegram can and all the perceived problems of data collection that could come with that.

9 Likes

Yeah, I am a purist.
If they cut corners in one place, I can’t help but wonder what will they cut next.

I recommend simply using Zom or Conversations (XMPP + OMEMO)

3 Likes

I think it’s a good idea to create this Telegram group :thumbsup:

We already use Matrix / Riot / Slack / IRC (as explained in this topic), but I know that many people (especially in the crypto community) prefer to use Telegram.

There is a bridge between Telegram and Matrix that is currently in development. It would be awesome to add a bridge between this Telegram channel and the #safenetwork:matrix.org channel once the Telegram/Matrix bridge is officially supported by Riot :smiley:

13 Likes

Great, finally I found the telegram group!

5 Likes

There are already 418 members in the telegram group. Many new enquiry about the project and we always redirect them back to this forum. It’ll be great if some senior members here can join too to tackle the tricky questions. :smile:

3 Likes

Finally found the Telegram Group :slight_smile:

Do we have anything like this for Devs?

Posted some ideas here:

2 Likes

Hello sorry for asking this question. but I got no answer from telegram support.
2 mounts ago my number banned and my account deleted
I had a channel on that account and I can’t manage it anymore :frowning:
I created another account.
is it possible to manage that channel again??:frowning:
thank you guys

I think you are confusing this Community for the actual Telegram community forum.
You are on the SAFE Network Forums and this is just a thread called “Telegram Group”
The people here can’t help you regain control of your Telegram channel, you should contact Telegram directly.

6 Likes

How does Telegram make their money?
If they don’t make money advertising, or make money through charging for the app, how do they make money?
Buy selling phone numbers?
Why do I need to give my phone number to use Telegram?

1 Like

I thought it was cos it (seems to me) used primarily on phones. I had on my phone for a long while before I installed the Desktop client. Rarely use it these days, there are simply too many comms channels and far too easy to miss a message

1 Like

As of 2019, Telegram has acquired over a billion dollars through two ICO offerings.

Telegram doesn’t make money, or at least it doesn’t generate revenues, as of 2019. Durov pointed out on a blog post that he “believes in fast and secure messaging that is also 100% free.”

On the same blog, post, Telegram notes that if it were to run out of money, it might introduce “non-essential paid options” to supplement developers’ salaries.

Seems like a low hanging fruit for being replaced by a SAFE app.

Telegram seems to have too many bots and too few users, to ever be a paid product. It’s UI is odd for not being simple to discover channels and navigate… channels seem to get cross populated in ways not obvious. It’s a curiousity that I wonder would not do well if a channel became too popular.

Nice that it exists but it’s halfway to something useful. It’s of course important for upholding privacy standards… but could do better??

It’s privacy is very well regarded by Russia. It’s the only social media app they are actively banning. No doubt cos its the only one they cannot back-door.

1 Like

Telegram is the only instant messenger I use and have ever used since whatsapp was bought by facebook.

1 Like