POC : Introducing SafeShare, a file sharing and pasting webapp

Looks good! Only took about 20 - 30 seconds to upload a 5MB MP3 file so not bad speed either I’d say. Would be nice to have a sense of progress on the upload. For 5MB files it may not be too interesting, but on larger files it would definitely, be good.

I can’t seem to open my file with the direct link however.http://safeshare.safenet/5b40a222-0bf3-455e-8d9e-4fc883d86b86

I’m getting the message {“errorCode”:-1503,“description”:“InvalidPath”}

Am I doing something wrong?

By the way a nice feature would be a button to copy the URL of the file so you can easily share it with others.

1 Like

The share link is the one that appears in your browser url bar.
The link you posted is supposed to allow you to download a safe hosted upload to your local drive, using the “download” button.
Did you try this link after having succesfully uploaded a file , or after loading a valid safeshare upload link ?

I am trying to figure out a way to do that, that wouldn’t hit the javascript security protections that prevent us to send anything into the clipboard. Probably having the link displayed with a message asking the user to copy it themselves.

1 Like

I got to run now unfortunately, but will take a further look at this on Sunday!

Your site is pretty cool !
Easy upload and all this in a browser window! Nice!

Is it possible to see a list of all uploaded files ?
I noticed that the Maidsafe demo app generated a new public directory, yet it remained empty after uploading files…
Normal behaviour ?

Thank you , I am glad you appreciate this.

No. In the current imlpementation, Safeshare doesn’t remember who you are between sessions. If you come back from another machine or after clearing your cache, it thinks you are a new visitor. So it can not serve a list of the files you uploaded. It would be possible to log this on a service that you own, though.

It does not serve a list of the files everyone uploaded either, because a specific instance of Safeshare is unaware of the other instances. When you visit the app, you instanciate your own private Safeshare, this is the whole point of working without a server.
It would possible , though, to log the links in a separate service, and have such a list publicly accessible.

In the current implementation, you could think of Safeshare as a Safe network version of pastebin, rather than a file sharing hub. This was the original idea. The hub concept is quite interesting though, and I’m sure it will appear one day or another on the Safe network.

When you upload a file to Safeshare, a folder , a name, service and a folder ( with isPathShared=false ) are created under your account to host it. Then the file is uploaded to that folder.

If you try the safenet.js playground.html by eblanshey , you can make use of :

Safe.dns.getServiceDir to call a GET on /dns/:serviceName/:longNameand ,
or Safe.dns.getFile to call a GET on /dns/:serviceName/:longName/:filePath ,
to check what is actually in the folder and file.

You will see your files inside the folders.

This is how Safenet checks and retrieves uploads, and I would expect the Demo App to do the same when you visit “edit files” from the Demo App.

My understanding is that the Demo app doesn’t see the files in the folder because they are not “isPathShared”, and thus only visible by Safeshare inside its root directory, but I may probably be wrong here, and it could be that the Demo App doesn’t behave as expected.

I tried with no avail to fake being the Demo App by using its ID and names in playground.html to check that. I suppose I don’t have the real correct credentials in https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_examples/blob/master/demo_app/app/package.json, which is good.

I would be glad to have a clear explanation of this by a Maid team developer !

2 Likes

@nice are you still working on this? hoping to see it on Alpha :slight_smile:

1 Like

@frabrunelle what can we do to increase the put limit for this project? @nice is there a way to use other user puts instead of your own?

wo wow wow ! I am just back from a grid-less trip, and just learn about alpha !

Of course I will do my best to make it available again as soon as possible.

There is no real need for an increased put limit, excepted if I mess lots of times when testing / uploading the app itself. The reason why I exceded my limits back then were due to uploading my whole git folder to the network instead of my release public files, so my put score went boom.
When one uses a published safenet web app, one uses their own puts, not those from the app publisher. That is, when you upload a file to safeshare, it costs YOU some puts. I spend puts when I upload changes to the app itself. ( and anyone who would host a similar / forked version would, too )

For now, it is offline because I didn’t put it back on rails since a few test network versions. Now that I see that we are in alpha state, I will gladly do my best to make it online again.

thx for the heads up guys :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Can’t wait for this to be operational again :smile:

3 Likes