OFFLINE Another Quicky (run 2 & 3)

I am out good night

6 Likes

I am shutting down my containers for now. Thanks @Josh for setting this up again for the community!

From what I can tell from my charts, when the traffic increased to 400Mbps around 18:46+ UTC from the safe cli container on the recursive put command, the safe node pid’s memory usage instantly shot up from 400MB to 3.5GB all within 2 minutes and then didn’t decrease at all.

As these community testnets continue, I am really curious to know what the upper memory requirements will be for sn_node to operate properly.

10 Likes

im calling it a night also great effort to all involved and thank you @Josh for making it possible :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I am 99% sure that node’s algorithms do not require such large amounts of RAM to function properly.
And from earlier discussions I made conclusion that such large memory usage is just a bug.
Which no one fixed yet.

6 Likes

I tend to agree with you. There has been a lot of rapid development on sn_node, versions coming thick and fast. I am reasonably confident this can get sorted quickly and we can get on with exploring real bottlenecks.

7 Likes

Yes indeed - a very big thank you to @Josh for driving this forward.
Mind and keep your billing statements so we know what this cost and can put a case to BGF to allocate sufficient funds to carry on this testing without having to rely on the generosity of one member.

14 Likes

Smells like a memory leak. If there are any logs that show what function the node was calling during that rapid expansion in memory use, then one might be able to readily locate the bug.

7 Likes

while this one lasted, it was blazing fast

as it was in earlier testnets

the “official unofficial pre-christmass gift”
was slower

I am intrested to know what went wrong?

4 Likes

Did anybody figure out what exactly went wrong with this chicken-talk.mp3

2 Likes

The anti-swearing filter acted in a despicable speciesist manner.
Al I know is it plays as expected here but I can’t upload the .mp3 for you to check cos .mp3 is not on the approved list. mp4 IS on the approved list but thats a 33MB file as opposed to ~3MB audio only version.

I will make sure this is one of the first test files when we get another testnet running.

2 Likes

I think I DOGged the file just fine when you uploaded it, but it wouldn’t play. Maybe some parts of it were lost. If so, why? Did some Elder run off with just a part of it? (We really need a HEN command.)

2 Likes

Well I see we have an updated safe_network Release Safe Network v0.51.7 ¡ maidsafe/safe_network ¡ GitHub
so perhaps the purported memory leak got fixed. I will play with this locally tonight.
I failed miserably at putting a node up on AWS last night- hints on security group configs welcome BTW - so dont hold your breath on a mini-testnet from me tonight even though I desperately want to.
In any case it looks like to get some realistic action on these testnets we’re going to need much more community involvement. Hopefully @Josh can tell us what the total node count was last night and what % of that was his DO droplets.

3 Likes

Needed to drop the ball yesterday, after setting it up I was out celebrating a dual family birthday. Once I saw that it had run its course I took it down from my phone but that does not allow for pulling logs.

Some insight, yesterday when setting up the second innings 2vcpu-4gb I noticed that the network had started with abnormally high use of RAM.
It started off at around 1000MB per node which is not right, but I had my wife sitting in the car waiting for me and had little choice, I had to choose peace over performance. (she was one of the birthdays}

Anyhow, run 4 is live.
It is running on 20 2vcpu-8gb instances and it started up far better at 113MB per node so we are off to a way better start.

Will update OP but you should be good to join.

5 Likes

Excellent I have just installed 51.7 and will try with that - in between cooking the dinner.

Hope the birthdays were celebrated well and your family had an excellent day.

4 Likes

Back on it i have two nodes online running 51.7

2 Likes

I started a new thread to avoid confusion.

3 Likes

I get this - havent looked too hard - cooking chore to be done in 3 mins

Fetching 'comnet' network connection information from 'https://sn-comnet.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/node_connection_info.config' ...
Successfully switched to 'comnet' network in your system!
If you need write access to the 'comnet' network, you'll need to restart authd (safe auth restart), unlock a Safe and re-authorise the CLI again
willie@gagarin:~/.safe/node$ RUST_LOG=safe_network=info,qp2p=info ~/.safe/node/sn_node --skip-auto-port-forwarding
Starting logging to stdout
 INFO 2021-12-20T19:52:14.040917Z [sn/src/routing/routing_api/mod.rs:L152]:
	 ➤ d470d7.. Bootstrapping a new node.
 INFO 2021-12-20T19:52:14.432979Z [sn/src/routing/routing_api/mod.rs:L166]:
	 ➤ d470d7.. Joining as a new node (PID: 18375) our socket: 9n.nnn.nn.nn5:50879, bootstrapper was: 46.101.61.45:12000, network's genesis key: PublicKey(04ef..1888)
 INFO 2021-12-20T19:52:14.435610Z [sn/src/routing/core/bootstrap/mod.rs:L52]:
	 ➤ Read PrefixMap from disk successfully from /home/willie/.safe/prefix_map
Error: 
   0: Cannot start node (log path: unknown). If this is the first node on the network pass the local address to be used using --first
   1: Routing error:: Invalid genesis key of provided prefix map: 84debbcea03fe7e4a85beae2514d1a0d7ec18d25ce9b0e32f4c3f6cf76f86376e21615f52905165e4a7c65e7c95467ca
   2: Invalid genesis key of provided prefix map: 84debbcea03fe7e4a85beae2514d1a0d7ec18d25ce9b0e32f4c3f6cf76f86376e21615f52905165e4a7c65e7c95467ca

BBS as is tradition

safe cat safe://hygyy1yybp9edeorgb1wyu9yyoofd9nuz3czc9339kx7gdcumq9fx8r6sj9ey > BegBlagandSteal.mp3
1 Like

please continue here.

1 Like