MaidSafeCoin (MAID & eMAID) - Price & Trading topic (Part 2)

Aww - you saved me the bother… Thanks :slight_smile:

If more people used it regularly, more people would want to accept it as currency due to its inherent usefulness (buying Safe Network services).

In addition there are many potential reasons for SNT to be better money than BTC:

• Significantly larger transaction capacity
  • Tiny or even zero fees
  • No wait for multiple confirmations
  • Privacy - non-traceable transactions and private balances
  • Far lower power usage (for those who that matters to)
  • Long term sustainable model, as long as demand for network services exist (unlike the possible big risks to Bitcoin if fees don’t grow sufficiently to replace block subsidies after future halvings)
  • Built in utility as token natively allows purchasing of useful data services

Put another way, what could Bitcoin offer that the SNT couldn’t compete with effectively? Perhaps the benefits of a public ledger & auditability?

5 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better myself. There is no getting around the real world value of a non-government/corporate international monetary unit and network with a fixed supply and bulletproof security. It’s just that most people haven’t realised this yet.

5 Likes
  • Significantly larger transaction capacity - lightening network has 1million transaction per second. If it needs any more the layer or another layer will increase it.

• Tiny or even zero fees - same as LN

• No wait for multiple confirmations - same as LN

• Privacy - non-traceable transactions and private balances. - LN uses onion routing. Other developers are working on further privacy.

• Far lower power usage (for those who that matters to) - no one cares, if they did they would hand wash all their clothes and live in the woods.

• Long term sustainable model, as long as demand for network services exist (unlike the possible big risks to Bitcoin if fees don’t grow sufficiently to replace block subsidies after future halvings) - not a worry. Bitcoin has reached a level that is too big to worry about this. If miners drop off the difficulty adjusts. Daily usage is only going up

• Built in utility as token natively allows purchasing of useful data services. - Plenty of utility as already mentioned. Hard money that everyone can use is a holy grail for humanity.

It addition:

• no pre-mine. Fair distribution of coins.
  • no leader or company. Making it more decentralised
  • price linked to energy like all good money should.
  • biggest and most secure network in the world.
  • already possible to spend in most major cities.
  • already a country you can move to, start a business, and pay for everything in btc. More to come.

SNT will have a lot of utility if the network succeeds, but it won’t beat bitcoin as money. Bitcoin has already won that crown, it’s just many haven’t realised it yet.

I suggest this podcast to understand it better:

And this one:

And this:

Cheers

Have a good weekend

4 Likes

Or install solar panels. :smile:

1 Like

Very true. And when they aren’t washing their clothes they can mine bitcoin and pay for the solar panels investment quicker.

I believe some people care.

3 Likes

Some do. But they don’t want to reduce energy, they want to get cleaner energy. Bitcoin helps with that by increasing renewable adoption through quicker pay back.

1 Like

Guy in here using excess cooking oils to mine.

Hard to pinpoint the level of concern over bitcoin’s energy usage worldwide but there is evidence of it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/n57xbt/bitcoin_energy_usage_is_a_problem_and_the_crypto/

2 Likes

All noise, attacks or virtue signalling.

They can’t stop it. It’s decentralised. China has already tried.

And those using this argument haven’t done enough research.

1 Like

But that does give another point to SNT, doesn’t it?

4 Likes

If you believe btc mining is harming the planet. But it isn’t, so no point. Sorry.

It’s not a question of whether I believe it, only a question of whether it is a widespread belief, or concern.

1 Like

Only the truth matters.

1 Like

If only that were true.

2 Likes

Sorry, that is just a lie. A flat out LIE.
No matter your stance on AGW, the profligate waste of energy on BTC mining is an abomination and to be abhorred by anyone other than a greed-driven BTC fanboi.

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2021-04-23/how-bitcoin-mining-can-incentivize-renewable-energy-video

" Conclusion

It is a fact that the Bitcoin network consumes a lot of electricity. Yet, the important question is what types of energy sources are used to maintain the Bitcoin network (i.e., fossil fuel vs. renewables). With this article, we have explained that the reward scheme of Bitcoin is beneficial for mining companies that have access to low-cost electricity. Recent studies have revealed that the share of renewable energy sources that supply the Bitcoin network is above 50% at this point in time.

We argue that highly efficient mining companies will drive companies operating with low efficiency out of business. The highly efficient mining companies will therefore demand energy-producing equipment that allows them to achieve this high efficiency — to remain profitable and to continue their operations. This pushes engineering companies and energy suppliers to improve equipment and to invest in R&D to improve the electricity-producing facilities and related equipment.

If the Bitcoin price increases substantially, these mechanisms will be stronger: Demand to access renewable energy and to access excess energy will be higher such that R&D in these facilities and equipment should even increase. We have presented two reasons for this: First, electricity from renewables — in particular hydro power plants — can be produced cheaper than electricity from fossil fuels. Second, excess electricity from renewables, which is not needed and cannot be stored, can be used for mining.

With this we have provided arguments for the following hypothesis: Bitcoin can play a role in making electricity production more efficient in the mid term. Even though Bitcoin consumes a very high degree of electricity, we also argue that Bitcoin can contribute to higher R&D investments in utilizing and harvesting renewable energies."

My point is that the energy-intensive mining of ANY crypto-currency is an offence against both the planet and the sensibilities of any engineer or anyone for that matter who has an interest in increasing efficiency and/or decreasing waste.
The source of the energy, renewable or not, is utterly irrelevant. There are far more worthwhile uses for that energy than to satisfy the whims of speculators, too lazy to find a more worthwhile form of employment.

6 Likes

Worth watching. If Seba is right, and 90% of his predictions have arrived earlier than predicted, energy is going to be disrupted fast. Watch the series, its worth it:

2 Likes