[How To]: Create a forum for your local Safe :happyant: community

EDIT 03.09.2020:
In case someone else is also working on an international forum and website I and a fighting team of dedicated forum members currently translating https://safenetwork.tech/ into the following languages:

Hello friends,

why is it important to have local forums?

There are several reasons:

• not everyone speaks English.
  • 1 topic per language is extremely non-functional if you want to discuss different topics
  • it is not good to centralize the whole community in one place. It is good to have alternatives :dragon:

We MUST make it easier for ALL to learn about SAFE.
Yes many geeks do have a good grasp of English cos so much documentation is only in English but to get mass adoption we NEED native language forums.

Isn’t it too early for that?

“The day that you plant the seed is not the day you eat the fruit.”

and

“We were planting seeds of change, the fruit of which we might never see. We had to be patient.”

We need fertile soil now, so when people start coming everything is ready :dragon: :rocket: :dragon:

Who can help?

• You if you know a native language well (other than English)
  • You if you have 6 dollars a month without which you can live
  • You if you have a few hours free to complete the steps on this list

But even if it’s just one of those things, you can get involved by cooperating with someone who has one of the others. (For example, if you know a foreign language and have time, but you don’t have 6$ a month, you can write in this topic and when you find a person with 6$ a month, you can cooperate)

For whom this HowTo is NOT directed?

This guide is not for people who:

• have chickens :chicken:
  • believe that English is the language of God
  • believe that everything should be perfect from the beginning

Lets not make the perfect become the enemy of the “good enough to start with” if that makes us slightly fitter.

Basis

This guide assumes you have a registered domain for the forum. Now is the time to call anyone who holds a local www.SAFEnetwork.*** domain to donate it to the community. I’m looking at you .de and .fr person/people :dragon: :heart_eyes_cat: :dragon:

First step create a droplet (cloud server)

I use Digitalocean.com droplet - you can use this referral link to register (the proceeds from it will be used for SAFE). Once you register at DigitalOcean:

Second step create a system email

You need a separate email to put on an email server and send the forum system messages through it. It costs extra money, but I can offer you an email from me for free.

Follow this step if you’re willing to pay an extra $ 5-6 a month or write to me to provide you with a free email

In this case, I’m showing you how to create a system email in Google’s paid service: https://gsuite.google.com/.

Now it’s time to register a Email server. I use https://elasticemail.com/ plan Email API $0.09=1000 emails

Third step install discourse forum (on the cloud server from step one)

Once you have a system email (whether you did it yourself following the instructions in step 2 or talked to me and got it for free) you can install the Discourse forum software.

• Open the email from DigitalOcean with access data to your server from step one:

• Open a terminal and enter: ssh root@the_ip_address_from_the_DigitalOcean email. Click Yes and paste the password from the email:

• Paste the password again and Enter a new password:

• you will be disconnected. Еnter again: ssh root@the_ip_address and the new password. Enter: sudo -s

• Enter: git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse

• Enter: cd /var/discourse

• Enter: ./discourse-setup

• Answer the following questions when prompted:

Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: 
Email address for admin account(s)? the email you created in step 2: 
SMTP server address?: smtp.elasticemail.com 
SMTP port? [587]: 2525
SMTP user name? [user@example.com]: 
SMTP password? [pa$word]: 
Let's Encrypt account email? (ENTER to skip) [me@example.com]: 

58 59

61 62 63 64

If your domain is ******.SiteName.CountryCode (for example forum.safenetwork.bg) you need to make a small change to receive your first activation email. If your domain is SiteName.CountryCode (for example safenetwork.bg) you can go directly to SiteName.CountryCode in your browser.

This step is only for domains type: ******.SiteName.CountryCode

• Enter: cd containers

• Enter: nano app.yml

• scroll to #- exec: rails r “SiteSettings.notification_email=‘info@unconfigured.discourse.org’” and delete # from the beginning and change info@unconfigured.discourse.org to the email you created in step 2

• Press Ctrl and X for exit and enter Y to save the file

• Enter: cd ..

• Enter: ./launcher rebuild app
    69a

• Go to your SiteName.CountryCode in your browser:

If you need help, write to me at:

20 Likes

One day Dimitar will be the first person on the forum elected to the SAFE Hall of Fame!

10 Likes

Thank you friend! Sufficient reward is that I have the opportunity to serve the community :bowing_man:

4 Likes

EDIT 1.06.2020:
In case someone else is also working on an international forum and website I am currently translating https://safenetwork.tech/ into the following languages:

SAFE World Domination

Language Forum Website
Bulgarian https://forum.safenetwork.bg/ http://safenetwork.bg/
Spanish https://forum.safenetwork.es/ -
German https://SafeNetworkForum.de/ -
French - -
Russian - -

If anyone else works on these languages, please contact me so we can help each other :dragon:

4 Likes

I think you’re doing amazing work @dimitar. As always.

Having these sites in place, ready to go could help the wider adoption a lot when interest spikes. Without that we could easily miss a lot of people, because these things tend to happen without warning in different places and it takes time to get new websites up and visible to search.

I guess that’s the other part of this, how will people find these sites? Getting search visibility is hard, but being linked from maidsafe.net, safenetwork.tech, from both forums, and then linking between each other would I think help a lot.

@dirvine @frabrunelle what do you think about linking to the different language forums from Maidsafe.net and safenetwork.tech?

Apologies to German speakers for my posting here in English. Might be best to move this, but I’ll try posting a Google translation below…

@southside note the umlauty things :tongue:

Ich denke, du machst großartige Arbeit @dimitar. Wie immer.

Wenn diese Websites eingerichtet und betriebsbereit sind, kann dies zu einer breiteren Akzeptanz führen, wenn das Interesse steigt. Ohne das könnten wir leicht viele Leute vermissen, da diese Dinge dazu neigen, ohne Vorwarnung an verschiedenen Orten zu passieren und es einige Zeit dauert, bis neue Websites verfügbar und für die Suche sichtbar sind.

Ich denke, das ist der andere Teil davon. Wie werden die Leute diese Seiten finden? Es ist schwierig, die Sichtbarkeit der Suche zu erreichen, aber es würde meiner Meinung nach sehr hilfreich sein, über maidsafe.net, safenetwork.tech, aus beiden Foren verlinkt zu werden und dann miteinander zu verknüpfen.

@dirvine @frabrunelle Was denkst du über die Verknüpfung mit den verschiedenen Sprachforen von Maidsafe.net und safenetwork.tech?

Ich entschuldige mich bei den deutschsprachigen Personen für meinen Beitrag hier auf Englisch. Vielleicht ist es am besten, dies zu verschieben, aber ich werde versuchen, unten eine Google-Übersetzung zu veröffentlichen …

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion friend!

I move it to this topic so that it is visible to everyone and can be discussed (local topics do not appear on the first page)

4 Likes

The translation of the Spanish site is complete. The text remains to be edited. I found a native speaking Spanish woman who would do it - Lucia thank you! :bowing_man:

I added to each page and the corresponding English text for each paragraph to make editing easier and turned every page into a wiki so anyone could join and help :dragon:

6 Likes

I added the French and Russian forums + some small amendments to the HowTo

SAFE World Domination

8 Likes

I added the Spanish, German, French and Russian websites. Only the home page in the appropriate language is uploaded. :dragon:

SAFE World Domination

6 Likes

I added GitHub page for each website:

5 Likes

Hello friends,

this is the First weekly update for the SAFE World Domination project! :dragon:

Roadmap to SAFE World Domination

In short, the goal is to translate the official site into different languages + to make a forum for the respective language, to load the forum with the best battle tested topics from this forum and let them into the wild.

To popularize the forums (once prepared), I will post an ads on Facebook for the different languages and we will see if we can find more people with our values in this way. :dragon:

Where is these sites and forums hosted, who pays for them and who is taking care of them?

These sites and forums are hosted on the servers of DigitalOcean, paid for by me, administered by me and moderated by a group of active community members:

The domain names are managed by me.

In the long run I plan to launch a SAFE Network Foundation to which I will transfer control over all the sites, forums and domains.

Portuguese

Forum, WebSite

I am happy to share with you that @hamarana has joined us and started working on the Portuguese forum and website! :partying_face: Thank you very much, Helio! :bowing_man:

For these pages I added the corresponding English text for each paragraph and turned the page into a wiki so anyone could join and help:

I created a Portuguese repository in GitHub for the website.

Russian

Forum, WebSite

Denis finished the Russian translation of the site! :partying_face: Thank you!

For these pages I added the corresponding English text for each paragraph and turned the page into a wiki so anyone could join and help:

I created 4 commits to the Russian repository

French

Forum, WebSite

@Sophie finished the French translation of the site! :partying_face: Thank you!

I created 4 commits to the French repository

Spanish

Forum, WebSite

Lucia finished the revision for all the pages! :partying_face: Thank you!

I created 5 commits to the Spanish repository

German

Forum, WebSite

@Viara is working on the German translation of the site. Thank you!

I created 4 commits to the German repository.

9 Likes

SAFE World Domination weekly update 25.06

Portuguese

Forum, WebSite

The site in Portuguese was launched with the first test page translated :dragon:

http://safenetwork.pt/

I created 5 commits to the Portuguese repository

Russian

Forum, WebSite

French

Forum, WebSite

I created 2 commits to the French repository

Spanish

Forum, WebSite

I created 2 commits to the Spanish repository

German

Forum, WebSite

@loigzorn joined the German forum to help. Thank you, Lukas! :bowing_man:

Bulgarian

Forum, WebSite

I translated the following pages:

4 Likes

SAFE World Domination weekly update 2.07

Russian

Forum, WebSite

I created 2 commits to the Russian repository

French

Forum, WebSite

I created 2 commits to the French repository

Spanish

Forum, WebSite

I created 6 commits to the Spanish repository

6 Likes

SAFE World Domination weekly update 9.07

Portuguese :brazil:

Forum , WebSite

@hamarana continues to translate with furious force! Thank you very much, Helio! :bowing_man:

Russian :russia:

Forum, WebSite

French :france:

Forum, WebSite

I created 1 commit to the French repository

Spanish :spain:

Forum, WebSite

I created 9 commits to the Spanish repository

Ads

I also posted an ad on Facebook for the English site imed at UK, males only, of age 18-65+. I want to gather information about the success rate to compare it with the following campaigns:

6 Likes

Excellent job. You are a true SAFE warrior.

Chinese is very important. China has a lot of potential users who would immediately see the need for something like SAFE.

6 Likes

SAFE World Domination weekly update 16.07

Dutch :netherlands:

Forum, WebSite

Two new mighty warriors joined the battle for freedom on the front lines! @DeusNexus, @anon61899651 thank you! :freedom:

@DeusNexus already translated the first page of the site:

I created 2 commits to the Dutch repository

Portuguese :brazil:

Forum, WebSite

@hamarana - another warrior leading the fight day after day:

I created 1 commit to the Portuguese repository

German :germany:

Forum, WebSite

@loigzorn translate 2 of the developers’ weekly updates! Thank you warrior!

Forum, WebSite

Forum, WebSite

Spanish :spain:

Forum, WebSite

The Spanish site is complete and uploaded: http://safenetwork.es/

Chinese :china:

Forum, WebSite

@Secretariat415, @Southside I followed your advice and I started to do an automatic translation for the Chinese :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant: :happyant:

Ads

The first campaign is over. Here are the results:

11 Likes

This is all fantastic. Great job!

I like the platypus sticker too.

If the Chinese website you created is automatically generated, is there a way to test it by taking the Chinese version, translating it back to English, and see how close it is to the original English? Then that would verify how well the translation is working.

4 Likes

I hope some of our Chinese friends get involved in the translation …

@eureka what do you think? :love:

5 Likes

SAFE World Domination weekly update 23.07

Patreons

I’m looking for Patreon for the Spanish site and forum. Please, if you are interested in taking control of the domain and the hosting server, PM me :dragon:

Backups

@Josh was so kind to keep local copies of the translations for the official website from GitHub. Of course, extra help is never superfluous, so why don’t you (yes, you who are reading this) make a copy too just in case?

@moderators know who keeps a weekly copy of the international forums :dragon:

Forum, WebSite

@DeusNexus translated the following pages (big thank you friend! and happy you know what :wedding: :dragon: )

@anon61899651 started editing the following pages (thank you friend!):

German :germany:

Forum, WebSite

@loigzorn continues to translate at breakneck speed! Thank you friend!

Forum, WebSite

I created 1 commit to the Russian repository

Forum, WebSite

Ads

I started an ad campaign for the [ :safe: Meme Wars] $MAID$ give away (Finished but still kicking!)

9 Likes

SAFE World Domination weekly update 30.07

Patreons

I’m looking for Patreon for the Spanish site and forum. Please, if you are interested in taking control of the domain and the hosting server, PM me :dragon:

I’m looking for Patreon for the French site and forum. Please, if you are interested in taking control of the domain and the hosting server, PM me :dragon:

Forum, WebSite

@DeusNexus translated the following page (thank you friend!)

Forum, WebSite

I created 1 commit to the Russian repository

Forum, WebSite

:safe: The French SAFE site is complete! :safe:

Ads

The first SAFE Meme ad is completed, here are the results. The next ad will be aimed at our brothers in India :dragon:

Screenshot_2020-07-30_07-03-52

Screenshot_2020-07-30_07-04-35

Screenshot_2020-07-30_07-04-20

5 Likes