The SafeCoin Roadmap - The Road of Thieves

Because of chancers like this fool, I hold the hand of everyone I bring in to the SAFENetwork world.
If you make someone excited over this project, make sure they are buying the correct coin, be there at every step,

2 Likes

If the legal and practical considerations of the official coin name are not resolved a good bit before launch, MaidSafe should definitely change the name of SafeCoin. You cannot expect widespread acceptance of the Safe Network when an integral part of it is embroiled in a legal dispute at the very beginning. This could really be a drag on the speed of adoption for Safe and, if nothing else, will surely inject skepticism in the minds of many. Itā€™s not like SafeCoin is the only possible name, or even the best. This forum has access to some of the best minds in cryptosphere and I am sure a replacement name could be found and then protected legally using the proper channels without opposition. It is an unnecessary distraction from full-speed-ahead.

5 Likes

It will be very clear very quickly which coin is legit.
Just try and upload data using the fake coin.
I think we will be okay. People will very quickly complain to exchanges about the fake coin.

1 Like

True. Within reason surely it doesnt matter what its called. But what would be more distracting - the fight to get rid of the other coin or the process to come up with a new name?

Wow - thatā€™s a bummer

Being the first one should have an advantage. But Iā€™m sure a new name could be thought up, especially if there have ever been plans of changing it one day. Except I donā€™t know if itā€™s technically better to be consistent. Bitcoin is always going to be Bitcoin, for instance. But yeah legal matters can get weird. I mean, they could even start the legal battleā€¦ but they would lose, because thatā€™d just be arrogant, and ā€˜obviouslyā€™ the original Safecoin would have the upper hand (I say with haughtiness). IDK. Just some insights. Or just SAFE [money].

@dirvine had already tought that the name could be way different than SafeCoin. Like Coin, Buck or like that.

1 Like

The process to come up with a new name would only affect a few dozen of the core aficionados (mostly those on this forum) before launch and would probably not even be on the radar of the hundreds, thousands, millions of ensuing participants during and immediately after launch. It should be important to project stability, trustworthiness and legitimacy in the beginning. Many people will choose to avoid controversy if that is what happens.

1 Like

Itā€™s the problem with announcing the name long before launch. It is better to have a new name that is only revealed when itā€™s ready and is legally fully protected.

11 Likes

This is true. Close to the vest.

3 Likes

I would be more than happy to find a new name. A coin is after all not what this really is.
It will be 3 Safe for that please, nope that does not sound or feel right.
Simply because 90% of other digital currencies end in coin does not mean we should.

5 Likes

Hold your horses folks, sounds like you missed this exchange:

7 Likes

Once it all shakes down and all the worthless projects are gone, having the ā€˜coinā€™ suffix to your internal network currency will seem as archaic as adding ā€˜dotcomā€™ to your company name after the internet bubble burst.

9 Likes

Yes, a purely fictitious, catchy name would work just as well, if not better. Leave coin out of it. A grammatical construction in the spirit of dinar, peso, lempira, rupee, krona, yen, shilling, cordoba, ruble and lira. The news due in October from @dugcampbell might shed light on the legal outcome but it probably will not resolve the question of the effectiveness of the name.

Something that would work well with the prefixes deca, hecto, kilo, mega and giga as well as deci, centi, milli, micro and nano.

6 Likes

Maidsafe were dealing with this for all bar the USA where this bogus coin is registered and this was started long before the bogus one was discussed here. So hopefully the Oct announcement is something to do with that.

2 Likes

Is Andreas in reality talking about the safenetwork? How much is the Maidsafe team in contact with him after Scotland?

2 Likes

I vote for calling the new coin ā€œSAFESTACKSā€ . From there you get the denominations like milliStacks (mS), MegaStacks (MgS), and just STACK (S). STACK representing a full coin comprised of all the smaller stacks. :grin:

3 Likes

He is speaking generically IMO.

I think it will be difficult to come up with a good new name that everyone will be happy with at this point. I was never super enthused with Safecoin, but over the years itā€™s grown on me and switching now will be frustrating. That said, most of the people who will be using the coin of the safe network will be learning of itā€™s name for the first time on launch of the coin so they wonā€™t care about itā€™s historical potentialities.

Looking on coinmarketcap there is a "safecoinā€™, a ā€œsafeā€ and a host of names that include the word ā€œsafeā€ in their name. This is IMO the biggest problem for us in using that term in the name of our coin and even in the name of the network - it will be confusing to people.

Perhaps a total re-brand is in order - I know that would really annoy many in the community, but itā€™s a small price to pay upfront versus the global annoyance of all the future users of the network who are confused with the product nomenclature.

5 Likes

Rebranding may definetely attract attention, and as regard a name, itā€™s just a matter of time before everyone gets used to it.

1 Like

My vote is for a total rebrand. I was highly confident and content with SAFE previously, but I think itā€™s time to start seriously considering other options.

I donā€™t think itā€™s going to be as easy as a lot of people would like to think, but we have a ton of great minds around here and with various examples of the creative bona fides of even just MaidSafeā€”i.e. Peruse, PARSEC, the Gossip Newsletter, etc.ā€”thereā€™s no doubt we can totally do better with the branding.

3 Likes