The SafeCoin Roadmap - The Road of Thieves

Ants of Safety, protecting the precious Safecoins (and evidence of prior use of the logo)

Do we have a problem with rouge colonies stealing the coins? TM 2013

07-11-03-37

Type of Mark: Service Mark

What is a Service Mark?
In plain English: A service mark (or servicemark) is a word, phrase, symbol or logo that is used to brand, identify, and distinguish a service. This is in contrast to a trademark, which is a word, phrase, symbol or logo that is used to brand, identify, and distinguish a product. While this might seem straightforward enough, there are a few intricacies to iron out, and instances where you may need both a trademark and service mark.

08-09-43-41

08-09-45-37

08-09-46-40

08-09-47-17

08-09-47-58

08-09-48-31

08-09-49-04

08-09-49-37

08-09-40-48 (Jeff Galloway - Founder of Safecoin)

SafeTrade

Safecoin Community

07-11-08-45

5 Likes

Possibly only if the “tm” is an actual trademark and not something they just threw in their logo.

We can make slight variations if need be.
MSafeCoin
SafenetCoin (I think best)
SAFECoin
MAIDCoin

We’ve got options, and most likely something better that anything I listed here.

4 Likes

Why do we need a Coin in the name? SAFE is enough :wink:

3 Likes

When you go to “legal” at the bottom of their page it brings you to “page not found”. The exchange looks shitty and ancient. I doubt this will last much longer. Going to check out this Jeff guys interviews sometime. Seems very scammy as the guy had to have looked to check if there was already a Safecoin in existence or planned. Taking advantage of a project that has been gaining even more traction lately.

11 Likes

Luckily, the Safe Net itself blows even Maidsafe’s idea for its own Safecoin out of the water (which is obviously part of said Net, but still a separate entity for the sake of this exercise of my post ;). There’s nothing you can do to top the world’s first global autonomous network’s eventual release and inevitable influence over the whole world.

I haven’t researched this Galloway guy nor his vision/plan, but even if his coin becomes successful
 well, Bitcoin is successful right now, right? Doesn’t say much for ultimate integrity. Anyway, just my thoughts; hopefully others aware of more details can chime in.

2 Likes

Tell me this doesn’t sound scammy. From the white paper.

“All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement.
The information and graphical content contained in the white paper and website should not be construed as a guarantee and is subject to change at any time without prior notification. The information contained herein is intended for familiarization, and should not be utilized or reproduced in any form in full or part. The white paper has been prepared to the best of our knowledge and research, however it should not be relied upon for any future actions including but not limited to financial or investment related decisions. The company, founders, advisors or affiliates shall not be liable for any losses that arise in any way due to the use of this document or the contents contained herein.”

7 Likes

Maybe Maidsafe were too slow in registering, surely they checked before going with the name.

‘Standard character mark’

The Standard Character Mark (also known as a word mark) is used to register words, letters, numbers or any combination thereof. However it does not lay claim to any particular font style, size, color or design element. In other words, a single word mark protects the phrase regardless of how the words are displayed.

Word marks provide broad protection of the word or phrase, regardless of how it is used. For example, a word mark on “Law 4 Small Business” would protect the phrase “Law 4 Small Business” in any font, size, or color. It would cover the phrase even when combined with graphics or in logos, such as in the “L4SB” logo in the upper left corner of this blog. It also help prevent certain types of domain squatting.

https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/business5/uploads/safenetwork/optimized/3X/c/c/cc61e6d672d55f33090a4a8966178e02f7487169_1_690x241.png

1 Like

Warning @Nigel , you will be underwhelmed.

What’s worse (and weird) is that there is a Scottish guy promoting it too.

I guess he has never read Acres of Diamonds, by Russell Herman Conwell (founder Temple University, Philadelphia)

The Acres of Diamonds story ”a true one” is told of an African farmer who heard tales about other farmers who had made millions by discovering diamond mines. These tales so excited the farmer that he could hardly wait to sell his farm and go prospecting for diamonds himself. He sold the farm and spent the rest of his life wandering the African continent searching unsuccessfully for the gleaming gems that brought such high prices on the markets of the world. Finally, worn out and in a fit of despondency, he threw himself into a river and drowned.

Meanwhile, the man who had bought his farm happened to be crossing the small stream on the property one day, when suddenly there was a bright flash of blue and red light from the stream bottom. He bent down and picked up a stone. It was a good-sized stone, and admiring it, he brought it home and put it on his fireplace mantel as an interesting curiosity.

Hope the Scottish guy finds this story (if he is of goodwill) by Russell Conwell one day.

4 Likes

There is currently 1 active trademark for Safecoin and the owner is the Canadian guy mentioned in above. 4 applications have been made but only one is live. @dirvine , @nicklambert do you guys know of this, maybe needs action?

http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/
(Search safecoin)

ℱ (the "trademark symbol", which is the letters "TM" in superscript, for an unregistered trademark, a mark used to promote or brand goods)
℠ (which is the letters "SM" in superscript, for an unregistered service mark, a mark used to promote or brand services)
Âź (the letter "R" surrounded by a circle, for a registered trademark)

In most systems, a trademark can be registered if it is able to distinguish the goods or services of a party, will not confuse consumers about the relationship between one party and another, and will not otherwise deceive consumers with respect to the qualities.

Trademarks rights must be maintained through actual lawful use of the trademark. These rights will cease if a mark is not actively used for a period of time, normally 5 years in most jurisdictions. In the case of a trademark registration, failure to actively use the mark in the lawful course of trade, or to enforce the registration in the event of infringement, may also expose the registration itself to become liable for an application for the removal from the register after a certain period of time on the grounds of “non-use”.

1 Like

This is kind of like those scam twitter accounts “giving away Ether for free”, but worse. When searching for Safecoin that project comes above Maidsafe as the first search result. I feel that some people maybe are going to be tricked that it is the real Safenetwork project.

I think Those who registered Safecoin is trying to leech of Maidsafe and something needs to be done. They are “just another coin” a straight out fork of komodo and probably even the komodo decentralised exchange in the future. The price for their safecoin was recently 0,05628$/coin. They have already rolled back the fork twice because of bugs.

2 Likes

I have tried to inform people on some youtube videos for Safecoin, please help spread the word to where ever you can, social media and so on.

Here is some citations from what I wrote.

“This awfull project that is mentioned in the video is “just another coin”, and it is trying to leech of Maidsafe and has nothing to do with it, rather than trying to leech of one of the biggest projects in crypto. Maidsafe have planed to convert maidsafecoin to safecoins when the finished network goes live, but with a awfull project like this in the video then Maidsafe might have to do something about this leeching name conflict. Maidsafe is currently creating the Safenetwork and will soon release alpha 3, has recently released PARSEC and been a part of tech advisors for HBO Silicon Valleyï»żâ€

“It just looks like the project is trying a quick “money grab”, “just another coin” copy of the komodo asset and even the decentralised komodo exchange. They just seem to copy and dont bring anything new or original to the table. They certainly know about Maidsafe and have choosen to try to look as similar to Maidsafe, Safenetwork project, as possible to maybe trying to fool people with less knowlege to confuse them that their project is related to the Safenetwork.ï»żâ€

Here is a link to the videos I have commented on.

@chrisfostertv the conversation messages you show in the thread, are they from discord?

1 Like

Yea, we do need to look into this a good bit more. Seems coincidental that mark was registered just as we were discussing safecoin. Does seem like trading off a name, but they trademarked it. Perhaps clever marketing, I am not sure what their project is/does apart from the name. Let’s see though, the cryptocurrency world is pretty amazing. It is like walking through long grass and finding clegs, they just need to be dealt with so we will. Let’s see how we handle this one though.

It is interesting to see a West of Scotland fella promoting that, but not saying what it is apart from some kind of bet. All seems way too coincidental and could easily look contrived. I hope folks don’t get duped on this one. Perhaps we do need to spread the word a bit, but sometimes that just gives a spotlight and folk do but for weird reasons, one is just hearing a coin is available, so we should tread carefully to not advertise something we don’t know about.

7 Likes

We are aware of this and are looking at how best to proceed @tobbetj. Agree that this would certainly cause confusion. We’ll update as soon as we’ve confirmed how we are going to proceed.

7 Likes

Hopefully this works out, can’t focus on the tech and forget the legal/biz side of things if this other group has now legally gained rights to “SafeCoin” then that will make MAID look a bit silly with their pants down lol.

Great Nick, it is good that you guys are on top of this. This maybe a urgent thing to deal with. I totaly agree with you @dirvine, it is just a matter of adapt and find a solution. The crypto landscape has changed drasticly between 2017/2018, a few years back this would have been hard to forsee.

I looked up Ethereum to see how they had done, and Ethereum is trade marked to the Ethereum foundation.

This trademark problem may cause some problems, if for example people watch the Safecoin video on youtube and then google Safecoin, they will find that Safecoin project as the first top search result.

Here is a citation from

“I read that this Safecoin (SFE) has nothing to do with Maidsafecoin (MAID). But the funny thing is, when this Safecoin (SFE) was being promoted, Safecoin was supposedly the newer coin of Maidsafecoin and all MAID coins were going to be converted to SFE. There were several exchanges selling SFE also. I almost bought SFE because I figured why buy MAID if I have to go through the trouble with the conversion to SFE. In the end, I decided to buy STORJ because STORJ already had a working product. Thank God I did not buy SFE. Now SFE is only on one exchange. Not once did MaidSafeCoin claim that SFE was a fake. So it makes me wonder if SFE was created to steal people’s money. Now I will not trust MaidSafeCoin company.”

There is good name suggestion in this thread for a name that is not yet trademarked, if the decision will be to change name then I’am sure you guys know that it is quite urgent. But it might be good to keep this on the down low until a decision has been made.

Suggestions for some actions: Activate marketing team and community on this, hunt down every location on forums, youtube and so on and make sure that people gets informed that the Safecoin project has nothing to do with Maidsafe or the SAFE-network.

Create a counter-site named safecoin, but I just saw they all seems occupied.

One positive thing is that this problem have accoured before the launch of the SAFE-network and not after the launch. It is sad that this problem may occupy time that could be spent on better and more fun things, but life is life.

And here is a link to a global trademark site that works on global trademarks inline with the Madrid protocol.

Yes, keyword search on their Discord channel

1 Like

@dirvine @nicklambert Do we even need to call safecoin a coin? Surely there are other terms we can place after safe to denote the “coin” Maybe Scottish Gaelic (is it “bonn”?) or just token or safepenny or a number of other things. After all it is just a token. We don’t even need it to be called exactly after the network name and use another name for the coin.

7 Likes

Although a lot of effort has gone into the marketing and may cause further confusion. Just have to weigh cost/benefit of clearing it up or moving on.

3 Likes

Although if they have trademarked “safecoin” there is not much that can be done. Unless of course they only trademarked it in say the USA

Trademark would seem to prevent the use of “safecoin” for the safe network. safenetcoin might work even with the current marketing by Maidsafe.

2 Likes

The whole thing smells like the set up for a round of extortion to me. Their oldest blog post is from June 2018. Are they just trademark trolling in hopes of squeezing out a payment for the rights? On the one hand, I guess all those forum members who were gunning for some kind of rebrand may end up getting their wish as far as Safecoin is concerned, or perhaps now’s the time for some handy misspelling like “Safecoyn”

1 Like