SAFE Network Logo Competition - Final Designs

Hi everyone, here’s an update on the logo competition on 99designs.

Final designs chosen

We have chosen the six final designs for the logo competition. It took some effort to choose just six designs out of nearly 600 designs that were submitted.

Of the 600 designs about 130 were submitted by Platinum designers during the first four days. We were then literally flooded with designs in the last 24 hours when the competition was opened to non-Platinum designers.

The quality of the designs varies quite a lot, so some were easily dismissed. Valuable feedback was given in this forum thread, although opinions seemed to be quite diverse. Some really liked specific designs while other didn’t like any of them.

Process of selection

Based on the feedback in the forum thread and our personal preferences we initially managed to narrow it down to about 30 designs in our first meeting. We then took some time to look at these designs and to see how well they portrayed these four properties:

• Security (The SAFE Network is a secure / self-encrypted network)
  • People (People make the SAFE Network by contributing, time and resources)
  • Network (Obviously the SAFE Network is a Network :slight_smile:)
  • Decentralized / Autonomous (A unique property of the SAFE Network)

This helped to drop some of the designs, but didn’t leave us with just six designs.

Deciding on the final six

Since a lot of designs seem to be variations of other designs we felt it would be good to end up with six diverse designs so that in the end the vote wouldn’t be between six designs that were different, but also quite similar.

So far none of the designs seems to have everyone blown away, making it the obvious favorite to win the competition. We therefore decided to choose one or two designs that showed room for improvement in the next phase of the competition. This way the final vote will include some of the current favourites, but perhaps also some potentially great new designs.

The six designs that will go to the next round

The following designs will go through to the next round. We will explain why we chose each of these designs. Understandably not everyone will agree on these six and some of you may be disappointed not to see your favorite design go through to the next round.

Design number 6 is the first design to go through to the next round. It has been a favorite of both the people who responded in the thread as well as the competition team. We have seen quite a few variations on this design, but felt that this first one hit the mark. It encompasses both the security element and the people element of the network and it’s a clean recognizable logo.

Feedback to the designer: We’ve asked the designer to show us designs with another type face, since that’s what we thought is the one thing that can be improved upon. We agreed that asking the designer to incorporate more of the aspects of the SAFE Network into the design would more likely make the design less suitable than improve it.

Design number 7 is the second design to go through to the next round. This has been a forum favorite as well. Obviously it shows the security aspect. We feel that the stripes and points can also be interpreted as a network element. The stripes also gives the logo a dynamic look.

EDIT: After @piluso pointed out that this image appears to be in part a combination of designs by another designer we decided to not use this submission for the competition. We have asked the designer to come up with a new design during the remainder of the competition.

Feedback to the designer: We’ve asked the designer to show us designs with another type face since that seems to be the natural thing to be improved. We’ve also asked for some variation in the stripes to see if that part of the design can be improved a bit.

Design number 15 is the third design to go through to the next round. This design is one of the designs that we thought holds promise when improved upon. The current design incorporates the security aspect in the form of a shield. We also thought that the shards could be seen as a network. The design also stands out compared to most of the other designs.

Feedback to the designer: We’ve asked the designer to explore the concept further, with different color schemes and paying attention to the unique aspects of the SAFE Network. We believe this one is a wild card and may potentially result in a great logo.

Design number 110 is the fourth design to go through to the next round. This design is also one of the designs we thought holds promise when improved upon. The current design incorporates both the network and security aspect of the network. We also liked the type face used in this submission. Also the designer has some very good designs in his portfolio so we feel that he will be able to improve the logo considerably.

Feedback to the designer: We’ve asked the designer to explore the concept further and to pay attention to the unique aspects of the SAFE Network.

Design number 235 is the fifth design to go through to the next round. We think the design is very clean and complementary to the Safecoin logo and that it would make for an easily recognizable logo. It gives community members that prefer an S-shaped design an option to vote on in the final vote on the forum.

EDIT: After @piluso pointed out that this image is very similar to two other designs we decided to not use this submission for the competition. We have asked the designer to come up with a new design during the remainder of the competition.

Feedback to the designer: We’ve asked the designer to show us some variations in type face. We feel the shape of the logo is good as it is. We would like to see an all blue logo instead of the blue/grey and would like to see variations without the shading.

Design number 268 is the final design to go through to the next round. This design combines the security aspect and the network aspect. We feel it adds to the diversity of logos that the community will be able to vote upon.

Feedback to the designer: We’ve asked the designer to show us some different (blue) color schemes and variations in type face.

So there you have it, the six logos that have gone through to the next round.

We’ve also asked all of the designers to show us variations where the word SAFE is in upper case letters and Network all lower case letters except for the N. We may include this in the final vote as well to decide if we want to have the word Network in upper case or lower case letters.

20 Likes

I like the 5th one, the S shape.

110 holds the most promise. Shocked the rest actually made the cut.

2 Likes

I’m sure it was tough and the response will vary no matter what. I’m pleased with the selection. Great job so far guys :clap:

2 Likes

For me initial choice would be [3rd; 4th; 5th] … 3rd and 4th I like for the opportunity those could evolve later and animate; the 5th is a good solid option simple to recall.

If font is part of the logo, then I’d fix the 3rd’s font… could become a favourite easily with tweaks.

Please not #2! :frowning:

And #3 looks too much like an ethereum theme rip off to me personally.

Others are fine, but #1 is by far the strongest at this point, to me. Simple & very elegant. Love how it shows a person on the lock, symbolizing how we are the ones protecting our own data with SAFE.

Just my personal opinions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I resisted noting that… but with a tweak perhaps can take a different direction.

only 1 of these designs conveys the “network” aspect and that’s 110. all other designs
focus on the “safe” aspect in one way or another.

curious to see more iterations on 110 but even in the current form it would have my vote

2 Likes

Number 110 looks too much like the Storj logo.

2 Likes

And the Storj logo probably looks too much like an other logo made before that one. I think the resemblance isn’t that big. Yeah they both use lines and dots, but that’s about it.

Either way we’re expecting the designer to improve on the design and actually told him not to go into the direction of the Storj logo.

6 Likes

Personally I like num 15 and 110 for the symbolism of decentralization. Also 235 isn’t bad.

Number 235 (fifth) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Number 235 and 110, just dont go with locks, we are not building the great firewall of China :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This one is my favorite

1 Like

Most often success of an enterprise is largely attributed to its impressive and confidence building logo. In crypto most impressive is that of Bitcoin. Very simple and appealing.
To me showing lock is a disaster, taking away freedom. Design #5 is simpler appealing matching and shows as a network too. May be the label below it is needless.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree with that. Keep it very simple and don’t try to over achieve.

1 Like

How long do the designer’s have to resubmit with changes?

Another 2 days and 19 hours. You can see the remaining time on the 99designs competition page.

1 Like

I agree. I am not fond of a lock as a symbol for the network. The logo should display openness, inclusion and networking.

7 Likes

Liking it lots…

1 Like