SAFE Network Logo Competition - Final Designs

Great work team. Wow… all 6 work for me. Especially #6 & #7

Totally impressive with how you continue to manage this very important project.

Next up, get the whos the vendor for Tshirts, mouse pads and all the bling to distribute to the world to get the Safenet brand out there.

We need:

1. A branded 10" “SafeBook”. with that new logo embossed on the lid.
  2. Powered by SafeNet decals to emblazon on laptops, cpu’s and early investors Ferrari’s.
2 Likes

I like 110 best, hoping the designer will deliver

4 Likes

My thoughts:

6 - Hands down favorite. Super clear, strong, and easy to replicate in a small size. Also conveys the right info very efficiently. Though I’d also like to see a different font (the “SAFE” in particular strikes me as … boring, though I like the sans-serif). My only other suggestion would be to increase the width/gauge of the U-bolt at the top of the image just a bit.

7 - Too damn busy! I personally find this design obnoxious fsr. Also, aside from an apparent lock image, and maybe also a shield, I have no idea what those horizontal lines and dots are trying to convey.

15 - I personally am not drawn to this one. Strikes me as confusing and amateurish. Not sure what the SAFE Network has to do with gems.

110 - I don’t hate this one but it also doesn’t do much for me. As an image I think it’s so-so, but in regards to an emblem of the SAFE Network it strikes me as too fragile. I also agree with @VaCrunch’s note on the similarity with Storj’s logo. I like the font though.

235 - This is my second favorite. I personally like simplicity and elegance in design generally, which is why 6 is my favorite. I think 235 image conveys strength and security really well, and would also be easy to replicate in various sizes, but I just find it a bit boring. But I like it. Definitely my #2 favorite.

268 - Argh. This looks like this is 2-3 designs smooshed into one. A design needs to be coherent in order to communicate, and this one isn’t. I think the hexagon with the lines+dots would be a lot more effective. The U-bold looks tossed in (though I obviously like that element in design 6).

1 Like

Not blown away - agreed :slight_smile: I don’t like padlocks as a symbol for the safe network, which means there are only three I want to consider, even though IMO the standard of the padlock designs stands out above the rest. I guess that’s why they are included, but it has reduced the options for me and the quality of the remainder isn’t so good - perhaps because it is easier to work with such a recognizable symbol as a padlock. I just don’t think it is appropriate. So, what’s left…

110 succeeds symbolically for me but I don’t think it is good in terms of standing out or uniqueness. I think it will be hard to improve but welcome further work on it because it is the closest for me.

In design 15 I can see the thinking (network, shield) and I like that it is striking, but find it hard to like as a design or logo. Hard to explain, but I think it doesn’t feel like a logo, or it’s not memorable, or… something.

235 feels corporate. Bleh. There were a lot of experiments along these lines and some I liked, but not that much.

OK, those are raw and frank comments, and more negative than I would like…

Observing all the designs and my reactions to them, and reading some of the comments on the forum reminds me how hard it is to create good designs, and even more to create a logo for a brand. I’m so used to seeing such incredible designs everyday it’s easy to forget this, and to feel negative about what we have so far. On a tiny budget we can’t expect designers to compete with the best in the world so I’m sorry for not factoring that in.

I do still appreciate all the entries from designers and all the hard work from everyone, especially the committee. I think with logos it will in the end be a matter of getting used to what we choose :slight_smile:

What it does make me question is our approach - each designer has only a tiny fraction of the prize as their budget because only one will receive anything in exchange for their time and energy. Maybe it is best to choose a trusted designer, give them a budget, and then work closely with them so they can spend more time, and the community and committee can work with them towards something that has the extra polish and a more guided process. Or maybe not! Just wondering out loud.

4 Likes

i agree actually. a big problem that I see is that this is our 4th logo now (maidsafe triangle, forum triangle, safecoin logo and now network logo). while all of those are great by themselves, there is absolutely no consistency between them (pending the network logo). and that’s a bad thing IMO. either have one logo only or at least have some sort of consistency between the logos if it ends up being this many… we need to be careful not to end up diluting the brand.

2 Likes

Padlocks are the universal symbol for SECURE. In order for SafeNet to succeed it needs to tell its story in as few words possible. Integrating the Padlock into its brand eliminates most of the conversation necessary to get the attention of newcomers and newcomers are who we need.

3 Likes

Padlocks also tell me that I don’t have access :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. You just made my case. You dont have access. and neither does anyone else, except ME!

2 Likes

i also feel the lock thing is tricky: on the one hand it conveys security but on the other hand it’s directly opposed to the notion of a network that is open to everybody.

not a clear message - otherwise we wouldn’t be having this discussion…

4 Likes

I’m totally with you here. It reminds me too much of being locked up, prison guards, areas in bank buildings where the non-audited stuffs happen, etc. So 1, 2 and 6 are not my favorites. Hats off to the designers though, they still delivered an awesome logo!

Then 2 shields and an S remain, all three of them have hints to a ‘network’. I’m giving 3 (#15) the benefit of the doubt as, indeed, it can be considered as the wildcard entry, and the one that does it for me currently is 5 (#235). Especially the two color variation. Working with two colors like that opens up the possibility to have a whole range of SAFE products, all recognizable by their own sub-color. Just an idea that might work?

There’s one thing troubling me a little. Wasn’t ‘Safe Network’ a brand used elsewhere already? I remember an intense discussion about that here on the forum…

2 Likes

I think the idea behind this competition is that we actually get a logo for the SAFE Network. The MaidSafe logo is what it is, the logo of the company MaidSafe. Once the Network is live MaidSafe will be “just another company” developing apps for the Network and contributing to core development. That’s probably hard to imagine right now, but that’s how MaidSafe intends for things to be. If I got this wrong, please feel free to correct me.

There is already a logo for Safecoin. We’ve asked designers to make the logo that’s being designed for the SAFE Network to be complementary to that. Some designs do a better job at that than others. If you feel that this is very important I suggest you, and others who feel the same, vote for a logo that complements the Safecoin logo.

As far as I know the current forum logo will be replaced once we have a logo for the SAFE Network. So the way I see it that we, The Network, will end up with two logos: the Safecoin logo and the new SAFE Network logo.

4 Likes

Not sure about this, but ‘Safenet’ is an exisiting company. This seems to be a rather large company, so if we’d opt to use that name there would most likely be a lawsuit somewhere in the future. Perhaps the discussion was about this name rather than SAFE Network?

A search on ‘Safe Network’ does turn up some organisation that does some things for child safety in the UK/England. Don’t see how there would be a conflict there really?

1 Like

Now wouldn’t that last part be nice? :joy:

1 Like

The padlock is synonymous with secure. Its a very big leap to say its telling users they cant use the SafeNet.

We’re having the discussion because you dont agree it should be a logo. It seems that many people agree its apropos otherwise it wouldnt be shortlisted.

1 Like

I think both sides of the argument are valid and

This is (less than) a handful of people and not many :slight_smile:

EDIT: I forgot that the community also had a say in which designs should be shortlisted, still not sure if it was many or a few :slight_smile:

1 Like

The bottom logo is very good but the “A” in SAFE should be a full “A” not an upside down “V”. It looks incomplete that way.

2 Likes

@BambooGarden:

i agree actually. a big problem that I see is that this is our 4th logo now (maidsafe triangle, forum triangle, safecoin logo and now network logo).

I think this is solved by ditching the forum logo for the SAFEnetwork logo, because it is right that MaidSafe’s logo is distinct and not confused with their product. So then we have two logos, SAFEnetwork and Safecoin. Some resonance between these would be nice but if not it can’t be helped :slight_smile:

4 Likes

235 is my favorite. It is compact, easy to understand and remember, and it is interlocking. Is there a page where we can formally vote on these designs?

3 Likes

I am now of the opinion that long term we don’t want the lock as the central theme of SAFE, because it is ever so much more than a lockup. Yes I understand it means security to some, but equally to some it means lock out.

I am not overly impressed by any of the submissions to be truthful.

The 2 (was there another?) designs by members here in the last topic were much better as designs (with some tweaks)

Out of these removing the locks number 3 in the list (#110) is the better. Maybe as a design improvement some of the “nodes” could be various aspects of the network. One a lock, one the safecoin type symbol, one a raid symbol, one a XOR symbol and one a person symbol. Any others? Is the a recognisable symbol for APPs?

The last one is bold I will admit, but still not a choice, reminds me of Chubb securities.

7 Likes

I can’t vouch for others but for me a padlock symbol never gave me the “secure” feeling.
More of secrecy and trust in faceless authoritarian institutions.
Security means a completely different thing in the safenetwork.
Security on the clearweb is mostly trust based.

But the safenetwork is meant to be trustless design, opensource and based on verifiable cryptographic algorithms.

On safenetwork there is no danger that hackers try a dictionary attack on password hashes, because said hashes don’t exist.

No danger that someone installed a backdoor on the server that you are communicating with and farms your passwords and possibly more.
No danger that someone intercepts your password with an mitm because of self authentification.
No danger of master keys(locks) or master certificates (ssl).
No danger they your account gets blocked because you violated some obscure clause in the obligatory user agreement.
No danger that you lose your stored data because the company changes the therms, gets raided(mega upload),goes broke,gets sued,gets hacked, etc
No danger that your private data gets used against you,smoking ads when you try to quit,ads for tasty food when you are overweight,etc.

There is not much likeness between the eventual security that a lock in your browser gives you and what safe tries to accomplice.

Of course it’s hard to symbolize how and why safe is different.

3 Likes