SAFE Network Client Testing Commences

Much congratulations gentlemen! I will be doing my part to test the network and ensure a smooth MVP delivery…BONZAI!

1 Like

Ubuntu 15.04 + firefox. Went smooth as silk. As @Seneca said, setting up a website is disarmingly simple. Great work.

3 Likes

Daddy was here when it all started. I love you baby! 515

I have installed the launcher and the demo app, along with the mock dns and firefox plugin, but I still can not upload any content or view any sites listed with .safenet extensions…what am I missing? (linux ubuntu x64)

The file upload on OSX is a bug. The file picker works fine for windows and Linux but OSX it seems to be an issue. Will get that resolved soon.

4 Likes

You don’t need the Firefox plugin and the mock dns any more. Just the launcher and the demo application that would work.

So just try downloading them, unzip and start the launcher first and register an account.
Then start the demo application and create your public ID and service.

To view the site that you have published you will have to configure the proxy, the instructions for the same can be found here

2 Likes

Okay I installed the firefox addon but I can’t seem to view this. Am I doing something wrong?

Everything looks amazing, just checked out our whole “webring” :slightly_smiling:

One thing I feel really strongly about however (and it’s quite small) is that there should be no “create account” part at the bottom of the Launcher.

Wasn’t it agreed that it would just be the PIN, Keyword and Password only? Because I remember hearing explicitly that “registration and login would be the same thing” and it’s just those 3 boxes that appear, and you can use them to either login to your MaidSafe account or–if it doesn’t exist–it will create the login for you.

Either way, I think it will be much more powerful if it is as simple as possible, with no “click here to create a new account,” and only just the 3 boxes. That’s it. Small point but I think it’s quite powerful.

Here’s what I mean:

Mr @dirvine (or @Krishna_Kumar or the part of the Maidsafe team that handles UI), wasn’t that the plan? To just have the 3 fields, and it does both (either logs you in or creates the new “account” if the entered combination hasn’t been made/accessed yet)?

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I do think that was the original plan and I really liked it because it was extremely simple and powerful, and would give the user a greater feeling of low-level control, like when someone uses Bitaddress.org to create an address, etc as opposed to feeling like signing up for a facebook etc “account.”

1 Like

As @Viv quoted earlier, the response from the network are yet to be integrated with the client. Once that is in place the error handling can be improved on the demo applications.

In the next update we will get the error handling much better, so that it eases the usage and experience.

3 Likes

The testnet appears down at the moment.

1 Like

My launcher just says initializing…I’ve restarted both apps and no go…is this due to the network being down?

From my understanding you can create multiple public IDs. Is that still true in this demo app? And if so how is that done and how are they managed?

Works like a charm on Arch Linux x86_64 GNU/Linux 4.1.18-1-lts.
Congratulations @dirvine and all involved.

http://blowthetrumpet.makkapakka.safenet/

Just finished setting up my hardware, 64TB and a 1GB pipe just waiting to share to the SAFE Network :slight_smile:

Yeah can’t view that one either… okay if there’s some trick to this I need an instruction manual.

IMO, the account creation screen was useful because you had enter the keyword and password twice to confirm you entered the right information.

Since I cannot see my keystrokes, I could blindly create an account, thinking my password was “pass1234”, when I accidentally entered “padd1234” instead.

Of course this may still happen, which is why people should relog into their account to make sure they got it right before doing anything else.

11 Likes

Yes But if that happened you would see some random empty account, so you’d log out and try again

Yeah, that’s why it’s good for the user to “know” if they are creating an account or just trying to log into an existing one.

3 Likes

That could easily become annoying, Imagine, instead of geting a quick feetback about wrong login details, you try 10 times to see whether you can get your password right and each time have to go through the whole process.

I would say so…it is to be expected.