SAFE Network Client Testing Commences

thanks a bunch! I am able to browse sites now, but when I try to upload my own it just hangs like it is loading forever…hmm…

Guess I’m out-voted here then.

The door is open for alternative launchers to be created in the future correct?

1 Like

Okay finally figured out the .pac file. That thing DEFINITELY needs more instructions. For me it was a case of:

1. Download .pac file and drag it to a handy folder.
  2. Open Firefox’s preferences, fiddle around until I found advanced settings then find the network configuration settings.
  3. Delete the weird filler text in the pac field.
  4. Drag the file from a nearby window into the text field fresulting in the path or the file being plopped down into the text field.
  5. Reload, press Ok, make sure it works. Done. SAFE urls seem to work now.
1 Like

I don’t see the reasoning behind your opinion here… why is it better to not verify account credentials by entering them twice when logging in for the first time (aka creating an account)? And how do you see it as “low level control” for users when not verifying these fields on the first login?

My sincerest congratulations to the whole development team for pulling through. What an amazing day it’s been to witness this excitement first hand. This feels very much like the early days of the web again, the freedom, the capabilities, the community.

I am glad we all could share this moment together.

I swear to god I whole-heartedly believe that when the network goes live, it will by far be the cheapest file storage option offered anywhere, purely because everyone is going to put 100TB of storage on it themselves, and so the cost to store will be forced down :chart_with_downwards_trend:

2 Likes

Verifying the network is still up. Just logged back in myself.

2 Likes

Yup works fine for me too.

MaidSafeCoin up 13% today, I wonder why that could be…

1 Like

Yes up for me too, although it was teetering for a bit.

:chart_with_upwards_trend:

yeah that was a beast!

I’ve gotten the .pac to work with Firefox on Win7. With Chrome, however, I’ve run into a snag. One of the sites says it’s similar to how IE handles it… “but different”, then it doesn’t really go into how different that is. I’ll figure out the rest (like how to actually make a website) sometime tomorrow I guess; just got hit with a load of work/paying job at once.

edit: I just figured it out with a little intuition. Was putting the local address for the .pac file in the wrong place.

1 Like

I sometimes feel like I’m being psychoanalyzed when I read your replies :stuck_out_tongue: I’m just seeing more parallels between this and creating BTC private keys than creating conventional “accounts” at today’s websites like google, facebook, email, etc., and was looking forward to it feeling that way.

Like I say, it’s a small detail and it’s totally fine if it doesn’t happen that way. Just when I fantasized about the future SAFE launcher, it was 99% like what was released today, except that small little detail.

Whatever happens is fine, but if anyone desired, would it be possible for alternate SAFE launchers to be built?

If I do not touch the launcher or app for 10 minutes or so then try something it seems that the launcher does not talk to the network or any apps.

• For instance I have launcher running
  • In the demo app I registered my publicID just fine
  • did something else (not on computer), wash dishes actually
  • came back and tried the Manage Websites and Files (launcher/demo_app still running from beforte)
  • demo_app sits for a time with the circle rotating
  • came back with the error “Could not connect to launcher”
  • click OK on the error and demo_app closes itself
  • re-run demo_app and sits there “initialising”
  • If I restart the launcher and immediately repeat the above it works fine.

So it seems the launcher after a time of inactivity decides to only perform its UI functions and stops responding to the demo_app. The “manage permissions” shows the demo_app as having its permissions enabled

The problem is repeatable (every time it is left for 10 or so minutes.
Running on Ubuntu v15 in a VM (virtual box) It does not seem a VM problem
64bits obviously

EDIT: submitted a JIRA desk submission for this. Jira Service Management

4 Likes

Not enough detail here to help you out, are we talking glassware, ceramics, or fine china?

7 Likes

Could I draw your attention to this? Can't get browser to work. Easiest way to see safe website?

Could anyone provide the simplest instruction on how can an average users see an safe website?

1 Like

Set up my first webpage also! Really easy. My birthday is next week, so thanks guys! My wife will have a tough time topping this. :grin:

Can’t seem to find the section of the app or launcher where one is to change their account settings. Also it appears one can only create one public ID via the app. I’m not sure if this is intentional or not due to it being a demo.

Same here. Not a speck of a problem for me either. (Except for the below problem…disconnects happen after several minutes sitting idle.)

can you repeat this fault. leave laucher etc alone for 10 minutes then goto a new safenet web page, does it timeout or does it load?

Thanks…and same here. I find I lose connectivity when my monitors go into power saving mode. (Or…this happens around the same time my launcher disconnects.) :grin:

The private section is still not working right? thanks.