Running a Node on Windows

You dont have any old windows boxes around, or a friend with one? That way you can make a nice clean boot disk directly from Microsoft.

Or maybe I can try and make you an iso in bit, will be 10 though not 11.

1 Like

no working Windows boxes any more. Mrs Southside is distraught that her Win7 HP laptop that I got for Ā£25 10 years ago has finally snapped its remaining hinge.

Iā€™ll phone a friend
Dont bother building an iso unless it could be also used for upload/download testing on AlphaNet

My pockets aint deep enough for that, Iā€™d need to break alpha faucet to even try.

3 Likes

Yep, from microsoft themselves. You can pretty much use it for long time if can handle a couple of restrictions that shouldnā€™t affect autonomi at all

2 Likes

I only need it to try accompny @Josh on his journey :grin:

1 Like

Firstly even earlier versions of windows gave you 3 days to activate. But since they were giving away Win 10 & 11 it seems microsoft have given up on trying to hold people to 3 days. After all they get all that money from selling your data they get from you operating windows.

2 Likes

Yes it works perfectly fine without a license, only thing that annoyed me was not being able to change to dark theme without.

I got a license online for $5.
Was convinced it was a scam but gave it a go and it works great.

2 Likes

I am running A win11 instance on the metal on this Aspire Core i5 10thgen Intel notebook , even though I am a longtime circa 1998 Linux hack. The aim here is to test everything out for the MS crowd. 8GB RAM 256GByte SSD, you all get the picture. Want to see what the upper limits are in terms of number of nodes without disrupting my daily biz email, Internet Surf and Zoom/gmeeting conference life, on what is a widely used ā€˜studentā€™ and ā€˜homeā€™ , ā€œminimalistā€ notebook machine which has sold in the millions.

3 Likes