Routers for advanced setups

ah ok would replacing the rb 5009 with a [MikroTik RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN] be easier?

or I saw this guy post on reddit he used the cap. I’m looking at the cAP XL ac for $100

I would go with the Quick Set, you can study the the config produces by Quick Set and than come with your ideas. Starting with empty router is possible, but it is easy way to get lost.

2 Likes

ah ok how would you suggest I set it up then? From what I understood guys on here and discord told me I needed it in bridge mode to get the full power from my modem

You bridge the ISP router and MikroTik is then the router in router mode. I believe tobbetj thought you were putting the MiroTik in bridge mode (well thats how I read his post)

1 Like
  1. Take a photo of the config in modem (or write it down)
  2. Switch modem to bridge mode (modem only mode)
  3. Put the config in new router. On Mikrotik you would do that by setting Quick Set to “Home AP” and then probably PPPoE in the Internet section, but that depends on what your ISP needs.
    obrazek

Your are right, the ONT converts the fiber to coax but it might also be capable of supporting Ethernet as well. If you have access to the ONT and it is practical to run an Ethernet cable, you might be able to use Ethernet instead of coax. But then you might be stuck with wires running everywhere. :cry:

no I dont have an ONT so I dont think thats on the table I could do what I need without 1 correct?

ONT is just used for fiber connections, doesn’t matter.

Ooooops well that is not always true.

They want to charge me 20% restocking fee for missing the box that it came in. :rofl: holy crap.

Anyhow I am not doing that so I am keeping it and getting 4 more smaller routers anyway to run 5 in total.

I am hemorrhaging money here trying to keep up with vps participants, a choice I make by myself, for myself against all odds.

#nodesfromhome :smiley:

8 Likes

Time to move into the shed

2 Likes

funny you should say that, it is exactly where I am :rofl:, I made it nice though, even has AC :wink:

4 Likes

Do they post your meals under the door?

2 Likes

Wifes been surprisingly understanding even with 3 kids on holidays and never seeing her husband :rofl:

All good things come to an end though, need to go work for a bit to pay for all this crap and amazingly getting 5 static ips takes a week. So can’t do anything more anyway.

4 Likes

In the batcave?

1 Like

Please share your model and node capacity on it when you can. :pray:

1 Like

I’m waiting for hardware to compete with you on the homenode level as well :slight_smile:
I’m going to use a minisforum ms-01 as a proxmox host to run a fat router and crunch an extra 300-400 nodes.

If that works, I’m going to buty a stack of ryzen mini-pc’s on aliexpress.

I too have gone full lunatic.

6 Likes

Excellent news. So much to learn.
Impossible to do when you cant can’t access all the data.

I already have one on the way with Ryzen7 5825U.
obrazek

3 Likes

The dedicateds have been a steep learning curve as well trying to figure out what works and what doesnt. I have had to migrate all servers from intel to amd in a week time without destroying the fragile early network.

1 Like

This going to be a soft router/proxmox/node host
too ?