Poloniex troubles - Consider an actual wallet for your MAID

Great! Thank you. So much safer storing coins on a bitcoin address rather than on an exchange?

If so I will move the remainder :slight_smile:

1 Like

USDT is a ticking time bomb

Try to move all coins off of polo and Bittrex in case it creates big problems

2 Likes

I have a bit of BTC, XMR and ZEC on Bittrex. But I’m waiting for Exodus to start supporting the coins or for Trezor T to be released, which should happen in a couple of months. I like to have some BTC on Bittrex to buy dips. Do you think it’s stupid of me to wait and not move everything off of Bittrex yet? Weren’t you the guy who lost several thousand dollars when the FBI raided some exchange a while back? I’m not a rich man so paying transaction fees back and forth hurts a bit.

Yeah I lost some on BTC-e

Definitely learned lessons

Move of polo / Bittrex / anything that runs on tether

2 Likes

The BTC transaction fees ahould be getting cheaper by the day at the moment too. This should make moving MAID about much cheaper too.

2 Likes

In not sure that USDT is a time bomb. I think they use this fud news so people don`t exit the space in this big dump. I see the bid money is happy to go inn to USDT for now.

1 Like

I hope this tether thing will not affect exchanges to much, otherwise it will become difficult to buy/sell MAID since all big exchanges on which MAID is listed also use Tether…

I believe bittrex are moving over to USD soon:

Hopefully should benefit those wishing to get directly in with $$$

7 Likes

Though I guess that wouldn’t really be a great solution if they all get put in jail & their company is shut down, which would happen if they have played that game (which would be pretty obvious for auditors to see).

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the false impression they were in the USA.

1 Like

I ran out of likes I liked this thread so much. And I’m still back in May 2017. This is a stellar guide for anyone lost in the desert like me. I haven’t bought a single coin because I dont know how to do it safely yet and unlike bitcoin at the moment the price of courses is static. You could spend six months paying it off and miss out the chance to sow a good field. So I’m missing it anyway without having been ripped off. Anyway I like the philosophy of all in good time so I’ll be happy to start with an MSAFEcoin, or a MaidSafecoin, or even a SAFEcoin just as long as its the genuine article. Cheap imitations can fork off, which is my puny attempt at humour in an arena I know vastly little about. So thank you all for a good reason to fry my eyes staring at this screen and maybe finally learning how not to buy two pizzas. I think you’re compiling the how to guide for enthusiasts. And there is a massive need for that literature. I know because I tried to buy it - there isnt one -just alot of expensive courses and alot of people without the fiat in their drive to make it possible.
Thank you for all your help everyone.

1 Like

You’re catching on quickly hehe

2 Likes

Thanks guys…all my coins off the exchanges! So that’s one less worry!

With all the loss of value / lack of confidence in cryptocurrency lately, I reconsidered why I bought these coins. Maidsafe has a very valuable intrinsic value (or at least it will) namely security and privacy. If the public value online security and privacy and the Maidsafe team deliver (which they will), ultimately we are on to a winner here. The cream will rise to the top!

6 Likes

ok, let me see if I have this correct…

I temporarily have my MAID in the omniwallet I set up.

I can then move it to my bitcoin address when my Ledger Nano S comes in the mail. The Ledger will not show a balance, but I can check the balance on omniwallet by entering my public key.

Correct?

1 Like

ok, thanks. needed a Ledger for my other coins which it does support,anyway, but good to know not to move maid there.

1 Like

DO NOT DO THIS

Unless you can get a traditional address and private key then you cannot get the MAID back

And we’ve now seen cases where the address used is unusable by omni. (Segwit address?)

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. It’s why I ask here before I do anything not covered by what I read.

2 Likes

My method with bx tool:

1. Think a password. WARNING: If weak password: You’re f***ed.
    PASS="This is my very long password that only me and my best friend knows."
  2. Optional: Version number: Make more addresses easily.
    PASS="${PASS}v1"
  3. Use as seed for private key:
    bx base16-encode "$PASS" | bx ec-new | bx ec-to-wif
    Prints: L2LGqXYs5xc3YBJKUgAkBGkWLzBFb1aKhPS5nBbkwasM5U55yJeC
    Your private key. You can import into wallet. Like OmniWallet. When you want to use it.
  4. bx base16-encode "$PASS" | bx ec-new | bx ec-to-wif | bx wif-to-public | bx ec-to-address
    Prints: 1xyq2EjuoSUCT5t4kQK8jxuRQXbEibyhq
    Your address. Send MAID here.

You could use HD wallet with bx tool. But: Many steps. I don’t advise.