Autonomi Glossary and Acronyms

I split it up into an acronym and definition section. Does that work? I didn’t add definitions for GET and PUT yet with hopes someone would write how it should be defined.

2 Likes

@upstate

The correct spelling is acronyms.

I personally would expect an index of terminology to be ordered alphabetically.

2 Likes

Fixed.

Definitely. Fixed.

2 Likes

@draw

Rather than including general computing terms it may be preferable to only include SAFE terms and a link to an existing list of general computing terms. What do you and others think?

4 Likes

@update

FWIW in addition to being ordered alphabetically I was referring also to having a single list of terms of any type whether that be acronym, abbreviation, or other.

2 Likes

Have a blurb on the top that says if you don’t find a something in the list, checked the link for existing term?

In principle - yes. I practice - hmm.
What would be a good source? I think the list you linked to is way too short. E.g. no mention of “CLI” and “PR”.

1 Like

@Sascha

Good catch. That such a list on Wikipedia would be so limited is mystifying.

Either a more comprehensive resource could be found, the general terms added to the Wikipedia article, or the general terms added here. If general computing terms are added to the list here I would suggest that they are only done so when relevant in the context of SAFE.

1 Like

Agreed. Or have particular relevance? That would mean at least UX, GUI, CLI should be taken out to make our list more compact. But a link to a good general list would be very useful.

1 Like

You’re of course correct that this a more general, not Safe specific, computing term. Could be in a different list. But it’s not that well known what it exactly means anyway, I think.

3 Likes

BLS - BLS digital signature - Wikipedia

3 Likes

I was afraid you’d ask that. :grin:

PUT = Promiscuous Upload Task
GET = Gift Elicited Tactfully

Edit: See @dirvine’s definitions below. These (tongue in cheek) funny acronyms might make more sense after.

3 Likes

@Sascha

Naturally the subjectivity adds challenge.

Taking a second look at the intended scope of the topic and using its title (“on the Forum”) as the criteria, terminology bloat could probably be managed successfully by requiring a link to the earliest use of the term on the forum. In addition to that context a link to further information about the term would be useful.

3 Likes

Get - Read from the network. (free & no account needed)
PUT - add/amend data on the network (costs safecin)

9 Likes

RDF - Resource Description Framework

4 Likes

I just learned this a couple years ago but it kinda blew my mind cause I had never heard of it before. In the interest of contributing to the random fun facts on this forum…

MAID is an acronym
MVP is an initialism

From Google…

The difference between an acronym and initialism is that the abbreviation formed with initialisms is not pronounced as a word, rather you say the individual letters, such as FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation), CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), and DVD (Digital Video Disk).

7 Likes

Title SAFE Stuff???

1 Like

CRDT - Conflict-free Replicated Data Type
DBC - Digital Bearer Certificate

6 Likes

ABFT - Asynchronous Byzantine Fault Tolerance

5 Likes

Safer : Any user or developer of the SAFE Network.

Safester : An early adopter that helped or contributed in some way towards launch of the SAFE Network.

MaidSafer : An employee of the MaidSafe Company.

3 Likes