Annual MaidSafe Checkup

Well - once again my trusty calendar reminder popped up this morning to let me know it was time again to check my investments on MAID and MaidSafe. I never know what I might find when checking in. This project has had unbelievable staying power. Browsing the latest comments made me laugh, looking back, I have been following this project for TEN years. I remember rushing out to buy more video cards to mine BTC and LTC and thinking “hmm, I’m going to need to build a machine for a MaidSafe vault soon”, even then there were folks getting pissed off that the project had taken longer than expected. I see some things don’t change. Angry people suck. I don’t think anyone here would argue that patience is a virtue. I’m always happy to see the forum still active and mostly the same folks strolling about. Experience tells me MAID has beaten the odds, at some point I started thinking about MAID the same way I think about the Folding@home project, some day they will both do great things, I just hope I’m around to see it. @dirvine , congratulations on another year, it looks like Fleming will be a reality soon!

Changing topics, I briefly looked to see if there was any progress on when MAID would be converted, I did not find anything <1yr old, If there is an update anyone can point to, that would be nice, I and I’m sure most everyone would love to get the conversion over with, last I checked to move MAID out of exchanges was still not easy or cheap.

Solardude

15 Likes

not really any new news on when MAID will be converted to SAFE coin. Some like me have the (far fetched) hope they will airdrop some test coins when that feature is rolled out in Fleming. At least the test SAFEcoin will help us peg the value of MAID when we see how much network resources 1 buys.

1 Like

i don’t think this is accurate - test coin have no value - there is neither a reason to hodl them nor a reason to be careful not to waste them on trash use cases because they will be of no value after fleming is down again …

…hard to say precisely what will happen as soon as real coin will exist … probably many gold diggers will try to farm coin and therefore we’ll have a tendency to excess space early on … which should make storage cheaper than on the test network (while on the test network many more coin could exist early on due to the algorithm being tested/modified/coin being airdropped … so again nobody knows what will happen/the price on the test network means for real price later on… too many moving parts involved…)

7 Likes

If test coin, on the final iteration of tests, allows data to be stored permanently on the network, that is akin to value.
I agree that earlier coins where data is wiped are value less other than for testing purposes.

3 Likes

oh ya there are certainly a lot of factors at play. Was just trying to encourage the OP that at least there will be some kind of coin in the system even if its not the final SAFEcoin you swap for MAID. I do think it will at least help us figure out very roughly the scale. Does a test coin buy 1kb or does it buy 1gb? At least on the ultra zoomed out view we can get an idea if SAFEcoins are likely to be worth cents or dollars.

3 Likes

It will no doubt help us figure out how much data we will get to put to the network at different times of network capacity.
As it wont get listed on exchanges I don’t see how you could determine a fiat price.

2 Likes

it would be a large guestimation. I think it would have to at least be comparable to legacy cloud storage prices. Like if we are talking a small number of kb per SAFE coin its obviously wayyyy over priced right now. If we are talking about gigabytes per coin then there is much more room to grow. Then again people might pay a lot more for the additional features of the SAFE network. Thinking this inspired me to start a new thread on how much people would be willing to pay relative to legacy systems. here: Would you pay MORE to store data on the SAFE network?

1 Like

Maidsafe is like GOLD and SILVER :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I would say a test coin will be accurate cause its the same mechanism it is just how much to “price” PUTs to support rewards its the same as normal safecoin network in that regard! its the same algo! (if it doesnt get changed because it works)

1 Like

It seems to me that we could get a good estimate of cost per Gb from a test network, but cost per coin is still set by the overall size of the network, demand at the time, and the total number of coins in circulation, which is capped. Once the network gets established deflation will set in and the value per coin will rise (this is what made Bitcoin so potent as it has a relatively small cap). The cost per Gb of storage doesn’t need to change as it will just take less coin to accomplish the same task even as the value of the coin goes up. The free market nature of the farming reward algorithm should ensure the cost per Gb stays fairly stable over time at least compared to the value per coin, which I would expect to change significantly.

3 Likes

My common sense tells me, looking for a roadmap, that we need things like “Upgrades” (Maxwell) and “Network Restarts” (upcoming) to be sorted out before a real sustainable coin could be deployed.

2 Likes

I would agree but then again I do remember hearing Pierre talk about how they were going through rough plans of how to achieve all of this stuff when designing so the whole system was considered in engineering the solutions they are currently implementing. Unfortunately I don’t have a source to this thread just something I remember reading.

1 Like