About the new "guidelines"

This is the last thing our (still small!) community should be doing to each other!!

This has been mentioned multiple times already so maybe in the future you should do some research before you start screaming, fyi: multiple threats which were both physical threats and threatening with cyber attacks and about 5 other points which were the reason to ban.

I’m searching very hard and can’t find any threats? Maybe you guys can help me?

A Ban is very serious indeed. I think if you guys are going to force someone (especially a regular) off the site for any amount of time, the responsibility should be on you to write up a post explaining and showing all evidence and reasons why someone was banned.

Should be extremely explicit. I think that is owed to the community, each and every time (perhaps not with brand new “spammy” accounts though).

?? Very vague?? Fluff argument?

1 Like

Yes, fluff arguments, same goes for the threats. As if threats weren’t enough :). I guess you’re trying to say you want me to mention the other ‘fluff’ reasons as well?

I’m not sure if it is any of other people’s business what the banned person does to get banned, shouldn’t we protect his privacy or should we tell everyone what he did? It’s not all that easy to decide.

I personally wouldn’t mind from the moderators position to share why we ban someone, we’ve got nothing to hide. But the fact that I’m getting the feeling that you’re asking us to share it is because of us and not because of the ‘potential damage’ the banned people can do to the community makes me very much question if we should use the banned persons for that.

I’m sorry for stating that is has been discussed publicly, it wasn’t. We’re using the staff category to discuss moderation topics and we’ve discussed it there which made me think it has been public.

2 Likes

Heej, Goindeep is gone for a period as well. You can check profiles to see when someone is back. It’s indeed very serious when we ban, nobody likes to do it. I talked putting up a “ban-list” with other mods several times. I think we should have one, but I’m not alone to decide. I agree with @Melvin that we don’t want to have all reasons in a topic as well, maybe we could point to some guidelines. The list would be empty most of the time. From all users on this forum only 4 ever got banned. The shortest one being a day, the longest being 3 months if I remember well. The users are still able to read the forum but they can’t log on at that time. We intentionally never use a IP-ban on users (we do for spam accounts) because we don’t want to shot people completely off from following this forum. We also try to have about 7 or 8 mods agreeing before we do.

4 Likes

The ban was over the PM that you as well as others were invited to. You should be able to find it. I’ve since closed the PM thread.

1 Like

I too am uncomfortable giving details about a temporary ban. I would want to make sure the banned person can come back without a bunch of baggage hanging around their person. If they continue in the former actions though (especially threatening any kind of violence) I for one, will push for a permanent ban.

1 Like

I agree with you @chadrickm and feel the same way. All I’m asking is for extra special consideration for long standing members like Tonda. May 8th seems like such a long time. After all, he did say

and he was at the time [quote=“Tonda, post:50, topic:8253”]
both literally sick and tired
[/quote]

I am not prevey to the PM but I somehow doubt that he meant all that he said. Tonda is very committed to the success of SAFE and he knows this community is big part of that success.

I need my Tonda back. :cry: Please take it easy on him. Thank you.

1 Like

Wow!. I don’t know the circumstances around how that happened and don’t care to find out but what I do know is this:

Can you see where I’m going with this? @goindeep, I know I’m out of line but just using you (if you don’t mind) to reiterate my point to take extra extra consideration for long standing members. Not in terms of banning but the length of that ban. Thanks

He’s been banned until the third of May (you can check his profile)) and because he’s (according to you) a long time member doesn’t mean that he deserves some special treatment.

You can check both the profile of Tonda and Goindeep and you’ll see that this isn’t the first suspension they received, that’s also part of the reason why the bans are longer than the first and second suspension.

I appreciate your concerns but you only seem to take into account that you see them as long standing members and not the things people do to receive multiple bans :slight_smile: .

This is good to know but I checked the profile and can’t figure out where to find the ban history. I agree that I don’t need to know the details of the ban but who and for how long and how often would be good information to have on a dedicated thread like @polpolrene suggested.

You can visit someone’s profile and see the amount of helpful flags , number of deleted posts and next to that it will say how many suspensions someone received (isn’t mentioned here but you can check other people to see if they ever got suspended.

[quote=“Safety1st, post:173, topic:8253”]
I agree that I don’t need to know the details of the ban but who and for how long and how often would be good information to have on a dedicated thread like @polpolrene suggested.
[/quote]

@polpolrene already proposed this as you say and we’re discussing it this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did not know they had multiple bans until now and respect your decisions. Having this information ahead of time would have helped me cater my pleas accordingly. I don’t think it hurts to point out things that you may not have considering when banning. I don’t have to know the details to point out things I see. Consider me like a self appointed mediator. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just so you know when discussing the dedicated ban thread that I do not see ban and flag history on my end.

1 Like

Ok I didn’t know that :slight_smile: I guess it’s a feature for staff only.

Maybe this is one of the privileges we should consider giving regulars if technically possible. This way no dedicated thread would be necessary.

Some people might consider these statistics being private and for their and staff eyes only :slight_smile: I can understand that the software has been built in a way that not everybody can see this, it might influence the debate when you see someone has been behaving a certain way.

I think creating a ‘current bans’ list would be a good idea, better than giving everyone the ability to see the amount of helpful flags and deleted posts as well.

I like the mediator role suggested by @Team_2E16 but my reservation is the burden this would be on whoever was “appointed” to this role. I would rather see all regulars with the ability to PM mods (which we already have), see ban flag history and a list of those who have been banned or are in consideration for a ban. The mediator role should be spread wide to reduce the burden IMO. This way, all forum members can appeal to whichever regular/mediator they prefer. Maybe the dedicated ban thread can be put in the lounge where only regulars can see it.