Update 25 May, 2023

Short wee update this week as we work towards a new testnet.

General progress

On the AutoNat front, we’ve had a great candidate on the go, but a last minute bug has prevented us getting a testnet up for this today. @bzee and @angus are digging into the regression, and as soon as the source of this issue is found and we’ve a fix in, we’ll be unleashing a NAT detection testnet which should prevent unreachable nodes from joining the network (and thus give us some more realistic “churn” ).

Our churn tests for continuous integration have been much improved by @bochacho, and @qi.ma has been hard at work improving a custom data-replication algorithm and testing it against this. This new setup will mean that we can only republish relevant data on churn, which should be faster and leaner than libp2p’s shotgun approach, which requires republishing #AllTheThings every X time. If this is working well, we’ll likely move to a hybrid approach here, so we have faster, targeted event driven data republishing, backed up by longer intervals of periodic replication (at least until we’re deeper into specific Archival nodes, which may come down the line).

@anselme has almost finalised the DBC refactor, adding DBCs to the libp2p RecordStore, further simplifying data replication. He will be doing the same for Registers right after that.

We’ve also been improving the testnet tool, allowing AWS or Digital Ocean to be used to host nodes. And @chris is now starting in on some refactor work to simplify the release process (and disentangle our node/client code bases somewhat)!

Useful Links

Feel free to reply below with links to translations of this dev update and moderators will add them here:

:russia: Russian ; :germany: German ; :spain: Spanish ; :france: French; :bulgaria: Bulgarian

As an open source project, we’re always looking for feedback, comments and community contributions - so don’t be shy, join in and let’s create the Safe Network together!

50 Likes

Great work!

22 Likes

Thanks for the update, shame for no test net today.

Oh and second for once

19 Likes

Wow, third. Keep up the good work!

22 Likes

Great update team!

I’m giving all the credit for this poem to google Bard:

The Safenetwork is coming soon,
Ant coordination will be a boon.
Ants run the net without a sound,
Decentralized and free of any bound.

With the Safe-network, we’ll all be free,
To use the internet without a plea.
Openly able to share & communicate,
Without fear of data behind a gate.

So join us to support the net o’Safe,
Help to make the world a great place.

It wasn’t me - my poems would be far worse. :rofl:

19 Likes

gogogo team! I can feel the maidsafe’s fire! I can feel it!

16 Likes

Another testnet behind the door :+1:

16 Likes

Can’t wait! Great progress @maidsafe

18 Likes

Thanks so much to the entire Maidsafe team for all of your hard work! :horse_racing:

15 Likes

Thank you to all for the update, Shame no testnet today but this grasshopper needs to learn patience as well.

An interesting couple of posts by @Bogard and @joshuef on last weeks thread Update 18 May, 2023 - #34 by Bogard adds some extra detail for those that missed it.

Avanti!!!

14 Likes

10th!!! finally :smiley:

9 Likes

Thx 4 the update Maidsafe devs

These updates make Thursday the best day of the week
Can’t wait for the next testnet, love the progress

Keep hacking super ants

13 Likes

:rofl: 20 chars

3 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! I add the translations in the first post :dragon:

Privacy. Security. Freedom

6 Likes