Travel

For those of us not fortunate enough to be able to travel so extensively, I recommend this YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/baldandbankrupt

This bald geezer travels the former USSR (and beyond) and talks to the people rather than govt sources to find out what folk really think. Might just cause a few closed minds to ease open slightly.

6 Likes

That looks like a nice channel. I have thought about traveling through the former USSR, like I’ve done in e.g. Asia. The main problem for me is I hate the cold. Summer is OK in Finland too, but come winter, I want to go someplace warm.

1 Like

I’ve been a fan of the Bald & Bankrupt channel for close to 2 years now. Really interesting vids he puts out. I remember being particularly fond of one of his Belarusian gopnik travelling companions, I can’t remember her name now.

3 Likes

Aye - she was a hottie - and her mother as well ;->

Absolutely love the channel and the history he touches on. I’ve been following since the beginning. It is interesting when he asks was it better during Soviet times many say yes. It was not perfect as no system is but what their countries have turned into now such as Ukraine. They are letting babushkas starve in Ukraine. They get a $100 dollar pension a month. Things were much better post Soviet times with a Russia backed government that now.

Before the 2014 over through of the government a judge was paid $2500 to $3000 a month. After the US backed over throw they were paid $300 a month. The choice is go corrupt or stop being a judge. So the new government encourages corruption by such changes in pay. This I learned from a man that was a diplomat and judge now in private practice as he did not want to corrupt his nation.

1 Like

Consider a trip to Georgia. Far south and quite a bit warmer during the winter. Amazing culture. Food and wine is divine.

3 Likes

I hear good things about Georgia. I’ve actually been there as a kid during Soviet times. But isn’t it still pretty cold all over in the winter, especially in the mountains?

1 Like

Yes very cold in the mountains but toward the south it is not too bad during winter and it’s shorter in time.
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 9.39.00 AM
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 9.41.44 AM

2 Likes

Has anybody here visited North Korea? I hear it’s expensive because you have to pay for all the “guides” following you around, but apparently it’s very safe. And there is probably not much Covid, since it’s so isolated. Maybe it’s a bit like the old USSR. I’m thinking about going, if I can find the money.

2 Likes

Come to Scotland to get used to the media censorship first.

2 Likes

I’d love to! I never visited. But there is the damn virus. And Scotland isn’t cheap either. I’m toying with the idea of El Salvador, but maybe I’m getting a bit old for that sort of place on a budget. I reckon if you have money, anywhere can be good.

4 Likes

Time your visit for when @neik is at home and let him buy the beer. That should make it cheaper…

2 Likes

I’d love to meet all of y’all. I only drink non-alcoholic beer, though. I hope that doesn’t get me killed in Scotland. Not drinking vodka in Russia can be seen as an insult and even be dangerous, I suppose. I have a religious aunt who thought I committed a great sin against God when I didn’t have a drink at my father’s funeral many years ago.

3 Likes

I make a mean cup of tea if that’s any use?

3 Likes

We’ll ensure your Irn Bru glass is never empty. I am told you can get non-alcoholic beer but it’s not something I have ever tried since Kaliber 30+ yrs ago and that was crap.

1 Like

Tea is good. Any sort of tea. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s settled then your coming to Glasvagas it’s every bit as good as north Korea!!

3 Likes

You should suggest this to the Scottish Tourist Board :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m sure southside and Neik would be cheaper “guides” as well :joy:

3 Likes

Visit Scotland with accommodation and tours provided by @neik and @Southside for active safe forum members

4 Likes