Technology & Choice podcast #11

This is a podcast about Storj, but it is very relevant to the SAFE Network, and we discuss and relate to SAFE throughout.

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/technology-and-choice-11-storj-shawn-wilkinson

13 Likes

Just listened in John, really good job once again. Nice to dig in and not only slightly technically but understand the business model and objectives (vision would be nice). It’s good for many folks to see this and I think there are another few projects that would benefit from that same kind of “so what is this and why”. There is siacoin and others then some other utility companies / projects like Factom, Etherium, monero etc. that would also be good to know more about. I really like the approach of short and to the point questions and the way you get answers.

I am sure these help a lot of people get the first step on the ladder and that is a great thing. Knowing why a project exists and what drives it is really important. Also it may encourage some of these projects to pop along here and show their wares and discuss the issues they face as well as sweet spots they find. Surely helps everyone.

Anyway, nice one.

13 Likes

Will be interesting to see if Storj can seriously compete with the commercial cloud storage providers. Decentralization is the way of the future I think, but I prefer the SAFE model where the data is stored forever without me having to worry about paying month after month as in Storj.

6 Likes

@fergish nailed STORJ’s message perfectly. It makes me so happy to see companies building out the physical infrastructure (Tech and People Network) needed to bridge legacy (Amazon S3) systems to the disruptive decentralized platforms. This infrastructure of enterprise facing object storage that provides support, fiat payments (decreasing the obstacles with required network utility tokens SJCX), and driving more talent into the space with a goal of >million developers (Already have 9,000)

Totally agree, pay once to PUT your data and it is there forever…that is the definitive solution. The beauty of STORJ and their intellegent choice of markets to compete in is going to prove the fact we all know that the use of millions of unused PC resources is better than any solution that involves building these ridiculous monolithic data centers that really are not a true “cloud” since it is just another person’s server (Amazon’s).

IMHO STORJ is already succeeding in competing against Amazon’s S3 services being 50% less in cost while at the same time offering performance that is likely going to get stronger with more users rather than bottle necking with a centralized data approach. Imagine how competitive STORJ will be when SAFEnetwork offers a “pay-one-time” upload option that STORJ can pass on to their customers. This means there will be no additional steps needed for the million developers already building on STORJ to have there S3-feature-needed applications run on SAFEnetwork.

Great interview John! Love the addition of the video option to the previous audio only podcasts. A picture really is worth a thousand words, but when those words come from your show…priceless.

6 Likes

So is it assumed that storj will utilize the safe network?? Or would that be convoluted? Still listening to podcast atm

They are brilliantly building the user friendly, customer focused “store front” for data storage. People/companies usually do not care much about how their data is stored (Heck most don’t care that their data is hacked daily), so think how easy it will be for STORJ to change out what core layer (layer 1 - SAFEnetwork) they use. STORJ has built layer 2 for the million dev’s building layers 3, 4, 5, etc.

2 Likes

I think that’s totally possible, and that makes me think…they explained how Dropbox is doing their business by renting on Amazon S3, well…it sounds to me that storj will need compete with Dropbox when it decides to switch to use SAFE too.

3 Likes

In short, they won’t have to compete directly, really.

The interesting thing is that all these companies that have built out big infrastructure under centralized models, will still have the ability to make money by just running nodes for decentralized platforms like Storj and SAFE (and others that incentivize resource provision). That’s what the resource is for and why we’re happy for them to do so. What they give up is (a) central control (and thus the ability to spy and manipulate for profit), (b) the liability of being a controlling proprietor of all that data, (c) the necessity to keep a huge stable of costly software engineers to mind the moats and walls of the fortress.

Their problem is that their business models are built on the profiteering models of centralized control and the big corporate organizations, even though they will be able to see that their models are doomed, will probably not be able to pivot and will likely go bankrupt rather than adapt. They’re tied into various commitments and inertia (contractual, regulatory, predictive, social, mindsets, etc.) that will likely keep them from fully adapting to a hard decentralized reality. That’s when bitcoin millionaires, etc., with a different mindset can sweep in and buy that infrastructure cheap and put it to productive, profitable use, just exchanging infrastructure facility competitively for crypto.

That’s one way the future could look, anyway.

4 Likes

FYI related to the interview. I love finding the synergy between these two amazing projects.

Storj’s v2 whitepaper: https://storj.io/storj.pdf

1 Like