Siacoin - a highly efficient decentralized storage platform

What I see now in the Files is that
Known Hosts: 30
Estimated Price Per GB: 0.01222KS (it is about $0.0005)

Sia market is not a mature yet. In A mature free market, the price will be driven by the demand and supply, namely, the market.

Generally speaking, the more decentralizing, the lower the cost and the price and entry barriers. We can see it in eBay, uber, and airbnb. Sia is even more decentralizing than those companies.

And do have to keep that storage on-line for the whole month to get paid? Or only on-line when its actually requested, which allows some downtime with probability saying you have a good chance of being paid?

If your ‘known hosts’ is less than 20 the pricing algorithm is going to break and you’re going to get some weird results. My client is reporting that there are 32 hosts on the network.

This is what I have:
Known Hosts: 32 Estimated Price Per GB: 0.00007 KS

1m Sia = ~$40 , 0.00007 KS = less than 1c per TB per month. Storage is only this cheap because nobody is using it yet. I imagine that will change in our next release, when uploading entire folders will be enabled.

If you are seeing a much higher price, it’s probably because there were internet connection issues during startup. If you wait a day or two things should resolve on their own. The software is still firmly in beta, please forgive us for any errors and be aware of the fact that it’s beta software before buying a ton of coins. Most people have not had problems, but if you are reckless or aggressive the software may break unexpectedly.

We are making rapid progress though. I think we will be out of beta sometime between October and December.

@neo: you have to be on most of the time. Oversimplifying, if you are online 75% of the time, you will get paid 75% of the time. At current network settings, the timer doesn’t start counting you as ‘offline’ until you’ve been missing for 2 days in a row. This is only because the network is new and just getting started, we want to make things easy on the hosts. As the network matures, the tolerance will be brought down to something like 4 hours.

These parameters aren’t built into the protocol, the clients negotiate them on a per-contract basis. As the network grows and evolves, we’ll continue adjusting the default settings to whatever makes for the cheapest, fastest, and most reliable overall storage experience.

People with custom needs will be able to set custom parameters. (For example, you could make it so that only hosts within 50ms of you are chosen for storage).

3 Likes

Everything is running well for me. I have one client running on my ubuntu 15.04 desktop and another on my HTPC with win8.1(Interesting that it runs from my skydrive cloud folder). I am forwarding one of the two ports to each computer. Is it possible to have three clients? Not sure with only 2 ports?

Transactions are working. I had to sends that didn’t go and it took a couple hours for the KS to come back to the wallet. Here is where you track the transactions: http://explorestaging.siacoin.com/

Second question, when I share a Ascii file do the recipients (Add Ascii File) have to pay rent for the file as well? I also have not been able to get a 50mb+ file to create a share code? It goes through the normal % upload and then confirms upload. When I hit share it says: > Error calling /renter/files/shareascii : Cannot share an inactive file

okay got a 50.1MB file to share, here is the Ascii file:

H4sIAAAJbogC_-xd228ct_l9lv4KY5-NNe-XvP2Q5IcERRLBbtqHIg-cGU68sLTr7kpJ3SL_e7mS5jufh5R6iWVV9giGPeZwORzezuH5DrWrV5v07NXrtM_Ds__fnOfV6Uqs5er0L6cn_zg9OVl9ny7y6otnq6_fSvHsLG1-zs_O8mXeH3bb9cVbvXp-zPTl69y_OVxdlIzlcycn4vmT_bv89dP1O329T4erfX7Vv843LXDzqmeb3OfDy_zXq01pspIur5N_eHu5uUjnL3O_-yXv393kKnevS139cXeZzmdp9N_rFju29THjPm0PY97fFK2EsCoE7Z7f3P2__nLzy7Eul_urfJv2Mr9Nm_1m-3NJHtP5YUr_cre93Kf-siTflH2yOnbvq83fjwVYIbVSIj5nt77L-zfn-eVudzlVqvxIb2_znCil6VJOV8ZNV3TTTBfONXKxMijRKkoU9DjpcGnoeZaulEHFqCRpNT5EGQwSAz4vUSg-Lz1dKoVSA9WfEoOg98TdgNpRme7m35-mtv7zZjvsfn11mfbHhpbeOP_-ra-31-PKezu1wOosvdtdHbN7K2PQUlvx3s-U70_pfDOc7Xe78Yery7dXlwfWlbfD4CbX1XEU-NJy1vqo_FSeZIWVjD9uz3f9m2_S4fVxAngdZFR9H6T2WoXRjCLZ0cguOdNHq3Nnx9zl8n8rezWIrH3SZux7MSjvRW86L4wXqc9erG6f8duscb7bHA75wd5A_M6fEHMnBpdCcvGuN3jAJ06PeJl_2Rw2u-33Vxdd3h9XlOsbv82m_rdfoe0kDc0wDUyM9egpaZop09zR0xKhKU-c5k3QlBSrJK_o5lSWMnjOVIaxdJOy0Rog6W6kbPTB6X1oRcCUc_RsWlmkwrOpYlRZWkCUVKesN1ff7A6X355dD_6CijKuy3utpdBfxBjUbX-srqfyt9sh_21a3I_wsR3mSdcrfnMBvrlVF9Hv3xVc2W3_kN-hK6kDlUBr314IaovpCh0v5dQYDkni7iTqS2pqaaZ-VrQOKoPemlrW0qDBCKFc2lB-U41ElEGLonSULVJvYhB7UXfnlKTde505Zylors_u35t2OaVFo0k_ZmP0EdgHhvFJBBoHwmilQQKEbvCBAOSPoUFkJLCbCnWx5iXW4BN0WwrQGsZAUDnUCLeVAAFBoYE-5ViNfeM1vMR9PIrVz4PBaMta54FZyIdgIPdit-60GvukRQwiDX0ISaoYRxmyTtL0WSvtg-xtX4hldr0fpBv0ELUeeplSr3KXemdcGKQPD8I-FubRZB40NWi5JzxRRLGxjNPKHsKcIgRT85UpNzF0Boo0qegpQDkVKiQDuoHi0GRSxB8UzSo8QFbgORXl53XH_KR5Je1dnMNdcw6lwzqqQjncY1GOqaa0JcMqqMAXCP7pvahdpjYmMkJbLnTS1EKWEN27qkOowxWNK2ryqeMVuAYVjv42vh599GxAB-gokRPj5nSr9A69q1m4xtPmGlq24DoCrkNDxEBWJWQDgxUtdpwuEEHmxIE9yuDStqQJh6qKRvEKOgQnSLLBMWRLj8HcOoEyA70FTPuk9fZKhIdXPD6Q4HEvZquygMWhH2NZeYXo9NgFq00fBqOtyUKbaAaZtLVxGMOQc6m_1GMuvWeHAiaDi2POauhzzOmh9I6FdLTlDgd8J8ynhpJOzUFHkpynqs0rUC-oOUtxtbhh60d7bNTBfVAqgQil0Q6FMpHwEektIIFQLlqjsN3xZk5SCMaMvoN4lK3FOuq1En7t7WNqHWUtqYQiSgFxoyZRuups4DcaB11rai5naqYHjsgaL8w7hBKI_NEwkxgmJFehJDUfJlBLQHXR7zRKwK-CWNjHk2YfEvECgxCDbIU4nGgoAADvVhpmQ5lRDNKJJkBqkEyVQLCDABubN7Ylek_qoCcFFMTUCSakNLkFLYaYPdCe2cxljRMYHZMfknpoE8raoo1Q5a6Jzh95wH9JPbQ21qngvBAmCK2Mcvcg9-AKdZDOdto62Q3SpmC63Ns-CS_9kHWQbux1cjYG34VCOro0qkJOou5V2ZV0hZu4OBQOIoYPRD3-sxf4fKkHKRmKYpFE9xHkQIgCsnWYx1ykBWzoar-NDQPiL6AXwldSh4yIHMQ5eAGYAD70SUqitUdaCh7JajMMrUSJWgugiHKQd9CPQj7WUq5DeEzqIQXQ1VThCVH1KJEFDICGxgQOAkIjTBXBwjpHYren3tZzvmHqqA-RUHo0jSXWFRQLQ6CGxg0CMAjqGQwgcKlF-Hja1MM2PAuYy8zTQFOeuSA4MYm1agCQZtYI17BoMJXENBQRWmTYlQL6YFoxaQVMAnGQgIpL5hShVMGYRIOFoVWYrGPVp2LwcNE5U-obUh5tUtnGOAozZKfHkhh6l3qrOu2dLMvemJTsdBhT5_uywA22y7p32Urb2SzNYvD4uLSjkuihhosajUExpgvnKokCtILtjmmmwTBQyyO0kABqXIWTtD0B6gEdCfYkNsV1yAE7GKijUFyZpwEaULhL8ghhXTjt2sa1c48qeaANJIQa6kw5Vz9aOO181UCE8IxKMgpCPQ2aEULlu0BkhqqhK6sN9oU0aqhQIiGgxDAWBTWPr8CjByyg0RIXd8cT1zyYkmGhWsCNCVcEmAACGqbpc2BChm2YJriJFVpCFLVnlQVheOiFBVTABqRuiSqgFZIFVPChAA7BBBBGwphPhe5rUBTDXtA_vO7xwYQPdR-CdyEMKvTZ5d4MZrTZdKMackrR9d6XwTG4oF0cgu9TWWlcTNEOTuVehs6HaKzK3pRk4-PDKR9q4SAtDiIq4YBkDvgFabxhi4udrahyQfcGJecQFio5Ha4BPec2MIcAK0l8p9IJyWiux8rIAKGFVB4sAggcsOADKT_3iB4qPra51Poq8gB1Fgst4saM_sGkC0xH9AlXZq4qERkA0WGfU_UVrayhoXL5ishCiKscRNi_tkYoutHNRTol7EI_nrbhw9c-z6bLlIVEsO0HpUDAJQLbfct3CsIhbUOcsKLhNWFCBIQTUvxOYuNgDLtkblPbOPjCBBjNfKWyocCAnfPK2_ipaB9R5Wj6MUftOxe1CKP3PowqiLEUo320wXoXRCq06BiMGVVnYiFGQade2EJCkhi6Mdg4CL9oHx_Z7QFpgIaxkrUeD2chTSUiCzSfKTwRTa2IwCIKyyD5rkBLmKWDtr4BZgBVxUlofyBx-IW2_6FyjDKhH3EeW52pwXkJIKy4y_MRzLrMvnUof_yj6h9EHkK15Qfr0DUXjJUtgp1G8nUf4USQrY6VwN6KloYqASMRC4PMxxErHzyC3kSLytiDYjEcUG9bD2ejFgbyxE0fLULA5QxIDOAWbNsfRYNmSOZJBbPhx1kFO8KCVHhOoWawGgbmK9E1q9AtWYI_iBlpIZYYJuLIhr2V-1PBZRhBgcnEqE-HioSQhmzNaMRoZGEaYz8WnJQ2aadLUb5LXchK9Z3Ngx-NC9IMIrsCqIWjFCpSNkiyG3U2bqEiH5eKQHlHkILF22uV3VcCBpwYmGiYB7E6bgH7Iywcvj61K-Y2UBhjQWVkRZAAY9AyfE0wZO1JtJWLxbOi7grDiLhWQq2dXEunHvWYLbQOHAXRjT5yla-WlloE0LSs3RcC9M_UWguiIThhSz3mqp5GPVwV8oG3Wdd2Z1PXkYYWqxioFwQvYkkmLEzkiTOR2iHhAd6QRWIjEMN9I7SfOmFnYEAyYNVkR1wE-60ZvhVdYaZRqCGMMDGVAvEbZhXFUscey3yykf0qEQoEiaYtRjTOAfNTyFJ8KizEyOitUirl3Ck1hNgFldJoR23k0Ovejk7nzg2DL0ualFmPYxe9GjvrVfB2lF0oXETErk9qYSEfWRBhwfhQAw_tFbDNpckCjQSbYVntwy2wTlTKBcQPE-qNsqrYALhJrM-XsrO-tg4l0Mxnv_yhNmsCssj3giDRXUzE23VQ6xjWZR48Jg-hl_XA4lD1A_NhmOomO7LMWCZFR_xcoSJCyQhhxIjSlaeHBXyEq7o81mefWSxH1vIZyR_aVx5ZyczUroq8Fca8MJHfwUTEnIJwrsE5CKMm91MQ8S-5h3i-XLQu7iUSokUiREUg7qUK26vz83uRmGf433YcfKazuQKtR8KopRsWsFnAZgGbBWwWsFnAZgGbBWwWRFnAZgGbBWwWsFnAZgGbBWwWsFnAZgGbBWwWsFnAZgGbZZVbwGYBmwVsFrBZwGYBmwVsFrD5jMGGvnHzx7fnuzScpX26OExYcY0K29vvIH3xeneRX1wUQBquv4D0xVe7X7fHzxxe3Pf1pCerr6726TgmSyH0S2tX32_6N9t_49tN2Vd1Xn9TS6nwb6c__TMAAP__dYz8LDh1

Last question. How do I upload a sia file to http://staging.siafiles.com/?

This should be continued on a Siacoin site as the discussion is not related to SAFE.

Okay sorry. It seemed appropriate being under “other technologies” and being a decentralized storage platform we (SAFE network fans…ME) could learn a lot from their launch.

5 Likes

Link to the site and the forum is enough, opening up a faq is a bit annoying imho :smile:

See you on the Sia slack @MrAnderson
Well seen we’re not wanted here - flounces off with exaggerated “harrumph” and slams door on way out ← is there an emoticon for that? AND IF NOT . WHY NOT?

Seriously though,
I see your point but would still argue that it is highly relevant related “other technology” and we could have LOTS to learn. @taek please stick around and thanks for your help
Maybe we are getting a bit deep for a Maidsafe forum though…

2 Likes

It makes sense. This thread should probably be more about how the technology works and less about ‘how do I use it?’ You’ll get more help with the second part on our forum + slack anyway :smile:

3 Likes

By all means come back with your learnings and inspirations. The thread has been useful in highlighting a live coin/storage project we can learn from.

2 Likes

happybeing, in the decentralized world it pays to be platform agnostic. Have a look, always good to hedge your investments. Also check out twitter.com/@sia_community

@jef_diesel thanks for your concern, but I’m not agnostic. I’m committed to Project SAFE for now. I wish Siacoin every success though. There’s a time to spread oneself, and a time to commit. Good luck.

2 Likes

MaidSAFE’s goals, as I understand them, are more ambitious than Sia’s. If they succeed at making a fully decentralized internet, it will be a much bigger deal.

I MaidSAFE them luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Besides the technology advance, Sia also has a unique business model which can sustain Sia development with stream of income and resource.

As we know, most of current crypto coins rely on donations or a chunk of premined/IPO coins to pay the devs and development. They are not sustainable income and the risk is very high if the devs and development rely on something which they can not control and is not sustainable.

That is why we see in many coins the devs have to hold full time jobs in other place and only can work on their coins part time, which hurts the long term plans and development of the coins. It is not the way an enterprise is supposed to operate.

Sia, in the other hand, brilliantly solved this issue by create a second coin called Siafunds to sustainably provide income and revenue stream for the devs and development and the devs can control it.

A small portion (3.9%) of the payment in each transaction in the Sia platform will go to the Siafunds. The Siafunds represent 3.9% of revenue in Sia permanently. Devs can either sell them to raise money (likely in the early stage) or use the income generated by Siafunds (likely in the mature stage when Sia gets popular and there are lots of transactions in Sia).

Either way, Sia devs have much better avenue to raise funds to support them and their work sustainably to allow them work full time on the project and be able to have long term plans and road map. It is the way an enterprise is supposed to operate.

I can guess that in the future, more cryptos will adopt this model to sustain their devs and development.

interesting, very interesting

will have to study this a bit

SIA is on Poloniex now - Poloniex - Crypto Asset Exchange

Cheers!

The problem with sia adoption is the port forward issue for many people. If it is too hard to use and you have to be a nerd to use it, then people will only go to the next best option. I am hoping when maidsafe is released it is as simple as a install.

It will change in a couple of days. The new 0.4 version will be much more user friend and have more easy to use functions. It is Sia’s goal to make it a user friend app.

sia coin was up 200% today with 100btc trade volume on poloniex. It seems storage will the focus in 2016

I agree with your comment. Want to add that half of last year and this year was the contract idea; Open Bazaar, BlackHalo, and Ethereum. (And including bitlaw but it is still infancy.)