Safenet progress questions

Half the internet is talking about decentralization and how they’re gonna fix this. I know at least 4 or 5 cryptoproject that claim to do this. The thing is, this isn’t 2014 any longer. Media outlets might get a bit tired of all these projects making all these claims. So instead of flying around the world one is better off working on the actual project to make it happen. So get attention when you release something and for the rest work on your code. Reach out to devs and provide them tools to work with. Build a community. But don’t waste time poking the media over and over again.

3 Likes

Maidafe is building a business, not a R&D incubator. Building a successful business is more than having devs with their nose to the grindstone. The BNK fundraise is a perfect example of how “flying around the world” (your words) would have been beneficial to Maidsafe. My reference to current events was a small example of how pounce on widely known event with the upcoming solution. And I dont mean tweeting about it or posting a comment. There are many more of these opportunities and many more to come.

I agree with @polpolrene. I spoke to the TechCrunch author to say I was surprised he hadn’t mentioned MaidSafe and ask if he was familiar with it. I offered to help if he wanted to take a look.

He said he couldn’t mention them all, and omitted “my own project: Matrix”! :slight_smile: He knows about SAFEnetwork and had been given a demo of it by Paige in the past.

When this thing flies, it will rock the world. Until then I think there’s only so much we can do in terms of raising awareness and interest. MaidSafe themselves are I think best placed to judge this, and now have the budget to do it.

It has always been a case of the community seeing the potential and straining at the leash to get the message out there. Nothing wrong with that, but the fact it isn’t headline news shows the limit I think, and that will change when the network is ready.

I sense we are building interest among developers currently. Those here are getting the hang of it, including myself, and starting to put up little apps and better websites which will attract more, and who we can help get started. I think that’s the most productive focus right now: attracting new app and website developers and getting them up and running.

To do that we need functional demos, and these are just arriving - so this is perhaps the point for those who want to promote SAFEnetwork to direct their efforts towards developers, and get some of them to try building something. Then as they start asking for help here and on the Dev forum, things could begin to grow and we could have a lot ready for when the headlines go mainstream.

Nothing a developer likes more than to tell and show people something new they just got working. So this is a usefully viral approach.

Right now, there still isn’t quite enough to make much of wider more general publicity IMO. This is one of the lessons of the funding round. It’s not so much we didn’t have enough publicity (though more would probably have helped, I don’t deny that :slight_smile). But perhaps a lot of people already know about SAFEnetwork have been hearing about it for a long time, and are not easily enthused about it because of that.

What we have is good, but what I think we need to work on is having a range of apps, and a group of people who can help users and developers, ready for when the network is live.

My understanding is that MaidSafe believe they have what they need to get to that point now, and that everyone else can make practical contributions: getting out there and attracting developers, answering their questions, learning about the network and it’s potential, and about the API, and doing end user testing, giving feedback etc. Translations can get going too as soon as the documentation is stable (not quite there yet - API still not finalised, and the tutorials too I expect).

6 Likes

Im sure he would have mentioned Maidsafe if it was the talk of the town, Its not the talk of the “decentrailzed town” and it should be the talk of the town,

Of course he couldnt pump his wares. His editor would have nixed that and sanctioned him for trying.

I see a whole lot of weak attempts at rationalizing why Maisdafe doesnt need a effective and efficient tool to promote their progess.

Is that your understanding or do they? If you have no idea where “that point” is, how can you estimate how long it takes to get there?

SAFEnetwork not being “talk of the centralized town” is perhaps, as I suggested, nothing to do with a lack of awareness - as shown by the fact the author was familiar with it.

I just explained why that might be, and why more general PR would be a waste of effort, so please go read that and explain why you think more general PR would help at this time.

If you accept there is awareness, but not enough enthusiasm, for SAFEnetwork in decentralised town, please explain what you believe would turn that awareness into enthusiasm.

Me:
My understanding is that MaidSafe believe they have what they need to get to that point now,

You:
Is that your understanding or do they? If you have no idea where “that point” is, how can you estimate how long it takes to get there?

Regarding MaidSafe, they don’t need to know, or more to the point, they don’t need to publicly declare when they expect to get there.

They can have confidence that they can get there (already declared), and as they get to the point where mainstream publicity is productive, they have the budget to do that.

1 Like

So you’re suggesting that Maidsafe has or will have the resources to last indefinitely. This is impossible to forecast. I dont care if they publicly declare “when” . I simply suggest “how”, in an efficient and orderly manner, would be beneficial.

Yes Im hearing that. And you believe it. And I hope it happens. But history is a better indicator of all things in the future. I would have preferred that they reach the goals set out in BNK.

I dont think Maidsafe is on a path to failure. I do think you are oblivious (or just toeing the corp line) to the things that could make this path easier and I also think Maidsafe would like to see this. From what I could deduce, David was doing a little vacillating on the issue of roadmap.

He didn’t say that, obviously.

I want to do something too, but theres not much I can see that I can do right now that would really help. Helping is great, but sometimes its necessary to wait a bit, until this help can be utilised efficiently. So I’m gonna start translating whatever I think won’t change anymore and wait for frabrunell and co. to prepare the real translation work. That’s my perspective, maybe it helps.