SAFE as a mountable disk (safe-vfs): First version

Futon? You’ll make us soft man! We only sleep on beds of nails here!

17 Likes

Beds made of crushed servers

13 Likes

I just uploaded a new version. The last one I think.

It enables the ability to create websites.

How to create a website:

# website files
mkdir public/my-dir
echo “Hello world!” > public/my-dir/index.html

# publishing
mkdir dns/my-app
ln -s public/my-dir dns/my-app/www

Then, open safe://www.my-app, you will see your “Hello world!”.

PS: Please let me know if you find a bug on it (here or on GitHub).

28 Likes

@anon71598723 this is incredible. I had to see that to appreciate it because it’s such an advance.

Unless we spell this out, people will simply not realise that those​ four commands are:

• uploading your website to the network
  • registering a SAFEnetwork web domain and
  • publishing that website forever (nothing else to do, nothing else to pay)

Yeee-haaaaaaaaa!!!

13 Likes

Passes the 4-pints-pissed test with flying colours :+1:
Hello world!

9 Likes

Doesn’t it feel good to :

mkdir dns/mydomain

:smile:

10 Likes

Man, that is pretty awesome @anon71598723

6 Likes

The frustratimg thing is, it takes illustrating this step for people to appreciate everything before it. The maidsafe devs will know that they put everything in place to enable this, but people cannot see it until the final step is made.

It is great to see it though! It really shows everyone what the full stack can do!

13 Likes

wahuba! where is my network? :smiley: to me the most important features are working now (and who cares about windows users :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) easy file backup / easy website publication and administration / easy and secure messaging =D let’s clone wikipedia into the next testnet :smiley:

(oh and btw - since wikipedia is blocked inside turkey we could already bring some freedom to the people living there xD still in alpha but already changing the world for the turkish)
[ ps: and right - there are probably a lot of countries blocking at least parts of wikipedia … so not only turkey :hushed: … that was just the first thing that came to my mind ]

9 Likes

Time is scarce, but I’ll see if I can find some time to implement an “/immutable” folder.

This will enable the ability to directly read / write immutables on the network in a similar way to what IPFS does with the “ipfs cat” and “ipfs add” commands.

Example:
“mplayer immutables/237939H2” will play a video, “ln -s immutables/23812789H2 private/cat.mpg” will create a symbolic link (“cat.mpg”) to a video stored as an immutable object. “cat immutable/12387293 > some_file” will download a file, and so on.

17 Likes

Yes please!

Then someone could make short video showing how to do each of these things. It will blow people away :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure how feasible this is but could the virtual drive be made persistent in some way, so it’s automatically mounted when you start the launcher /authenticator and the data remains intact?

Unless im mistaking, the change from launcher to authenticator paradigm was partially so that apps could authenticate directly with the network? So couldnt it be possible for a virtual disk to authenticate directly through a startup command (at least on linux?)?

4 Likes

@moderators there seem to be a bunch of posts missing from the end of this topic - where I asked lourieorg about updating this to the latest API and he said he was too busy.

I had problems finding a post yesterday which later reappeared - I think may have been because it was moved but I can’t see why any posts would have been moved from this topic.

Or am I going mad? Quite possible :wink:

1 Like

You could say that they were… unmounted. LOL.

…I’ll get my coat.

10 Likes

When posts are moved there is text+link placed at the point from where they where moved which provides a link to the moved posts

Yes I thought so. I’m confused - do you remember the posts I’m referring to.

2 Likes

No but there has been more than one topic on this.

I posted in that other thread, I looked at my history and found this.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one, sorry @neo and thanks @zoki. I forgot it was in a reply to you. :grimacing:

5 Likes