Pi network. Mine on Mobile

Just today, a friend of mine that I’ve made aware of cryptocurrency in the past but I didn’t really think kept up closely, sent me a link to mine Pi on mobile for the Pi network. It was brought to his attention from another old mate and they’ve both been sharing these titled links that lead you to learn about how to mine Pi on mobile and also links to claim one Pi gifted by another user.

I thought it was neat that it is said to be lightweight enough to mine on mobile and not drain battery but wasn’t sure how that worked exactly besides that there is federation involved. I asked my friend and he said that you engage with the mobile app once a day to “prove you are human” where you apparently go into a “chat”. This reminded me of a discussion on this forum here about proof of unique human (I’m not up to speed on that thread per se but sounds aligned.

I asked my friend what he thought was so appealing and he said a couple different things. One was that you didn’t have to buy a crypto that was potentially unaffordable and it is so much easier to just earn it when it’s on your phone. Another thing he mentioned a few times that seemed to impress him was their apparent user growth over the course of a year or so since our other mate had first mentioned it to him. I asked how much it was “worth” in fiat and he said not much at all but that he thinks this stuff is the future and in time it will be worth more.

On top of this he said a coworker he’s close with was going to buy $10,000 worth of XLM (Stellar Lumens) and he told him the same thing he told me about buying something so expensive when you could just mine it. His coworker is well off so it’s a speculative move. Somewhat ironically, Pi is actually a fork of Stellar AFAIK. I did a quick read of the project.

A lot of the focus seems to be on mining on mobile and being accessible to the little guy, giving everyone an opportunity to be part of the cryptocurrency movement. Apparently there is supposed to be an app ecosystem but there was basically no information on it. I think I saw links to an SDK and they are now in beta I believe but nothing beyond that.

I do think a lot can be gleaned from this simple conversation though. It gives me the impression that we’re definitely on the right track and maybe what drives some regular everyday people not steeped in the space. Given the Pi folks have such a narrow focus and are so successful leads to some interesting points. They obviously have a honed message and make sharing links, Pi, and the mobile app super easy amongst mobile users. Lacking much more than that makes you wonder how much bigger it would be with something like what @JimCollinson has cooked up, as well as novel underlying network features. Like network storage, ID management, data sharing and permissions, third party apps, etc.

Even though Pi users have to interact with the app everyday, they are still willing to. I haven’t tried it personally so I’m not sure if it’s engaging or monotonous or creepy or what. I would assume being as passive as possible (like farming without having to engage or open an app continually) would be more attractive.

Maybe people like the engagement?
To expand on engagement (or make learning easier) things are usually “gamified”. I personally think gamification is easier said than done and I always feel like I’m partaking in a gimmick so not sure if that’s useful or relevant (might just be me).

Anyways, I hope this conversation I had with a person(s) totally outside of this sphere brings someone here some incite or value and I would be interested to hear if anyone here has heard of or participated in the Pi Network.

• Pioneer . A user of the Pi mobile app who is simply confirming that they are not a “robot” on a daily basis. This user validates their presence every time they sign in to the app. They can also open the app to request transactions (e.g. make a payment in Pi to another Pioneer)*

• Contributor . A user of the Pi mobile app who is contributing by providing a list of pioneers he or she knows and trusts. In aggregate, Pi contributors will build a global trust graph.

• Ambassador . A user of the Pi mobile app who is introducing other users into Pi network.

• Node . A user who is a pioneer, a contributor using the Pi mobile app, and is also running the Pi node software on their desktop or laptop computer. The Pi node software is the software that runs the core SCP algorithm, taking into account the trust graph information provided by the Contributors.

Found this on a site promoting the network. These roles personally put me off. It seems like a multi level marketing scheme in a way but for crypto. Hmm

2-3 years ago someone sent me a referral link and it seemed useless to me, but I had not looked in detail. However, the fact that there are desktop nodes speaks well. I’ll have to look at it again.

There are similar schemes that are positive for the world. For example https://sweatco.in/ was created to make people move more and live healthier lives.

You click on an app on your phone and it counts your steps - that’s basically what it is, a pedometer. But there is a community around it and it has been developing well in recent years.

There are advertisers and you can get free stuff. I have personally received bluetooth headphones, shoes, cash and various other digital products. There are also various charity campaigns to which you can donate your coins or auctions for various prizes:

I try to say that such schemes work on the following principle: You gather a community of people with promises, sell those people to advertisers, and share some of your profits with people in the community. Everyone wins from the scheme. So if Pi follows the same pattern, it can also contribute something…

1 Like

This is interesting:

1 Like

I find the system built on verifying other humans in such personal or intimate ways creepy. It feels slippery and like it could morph into some sort of social credit or accountability platform. How does anyone know that people verifying them etc aren’t collecting the data?

So these apps kind of indicate to me that this is a potential direction. I’m not crazy about what I know so far but it’s amazing how many people do like it and that is what I think is important to focus on. What the heck makes so attractive to people for Pi Network to have such successful adoption and for people to be so willing to spread it like wildfire. I’d like to hear you thoughts there @Dimitar

I do like the propose and poll format though.

I think people really, really like the idea of pushing a button and getting free money… In my opinion, this is the reason why Bitcoin became so popular - because of the freemium. In the beginning, you could either buy it or mining it for free and the people like to receive things for free that are expensive or have the potential to become very expensive. I think Pi also has that potential if it gets enough people. But we all know who will be the total champion in the long term :lol:

1 Like

@Nigel I thought how to determine Pi - Proof of Interest, I think it fits, 10 million people prove every day that they are interested in the project.

1 Like

My friend keeps getting other people to sign up, I can’t believe it. The token apparently isn’t traded on exchanges yet but they all get on everyday to prove they are humans so they can get Pi in hopes it’s valuable someday. Gives me a bit of faith Safe will have an easy time being adopted. Though we could benefit from engagement incentives obviously.

1 Like

People love free stuff. It’s super easy to promote it. I now have 5 friends who click every day:

1 Like

A month later, 5 of my contacts still click every day:

1 Like

So I just found out from my friend that you get paid more for those you sign up in your security circle, is that correct? That is a blatant pyramid scheme. It’s obviously effective.

I’m not exactly knocking on pyramid schemes entirely because tbh any limited resource (land, gold, bitcoin) are pyramid schemes in a sense. The earlier you get in the more you benefit as more people join the pyramid.

In Pi’s case they intentionally promote it as a scheme in a more truer sense.

What do you think about it’s effectiveness? I personally dislike such things as they seem self serving and disingenuous to who you sign up but the people I know that are participating are intelligent people. My ideals can tend to get in my way at times.

1 Like

There is 1 referral level only. Tesla has 1 referral level. Amazon has 1 referral level. Definitely not a pyramid + this referral level is only temporary until the network grows and then the referral disappears.

My criticism of this project when I found out about it 1 year ago was that there is no mining - there is a centralized database of users with numbers against their name. But now they are introducing a blockchain with nodes and plan to decentralize the system, so it may become interesting over time.

This distribution of the initial money is a very clever way to catch a lot of people in the scheme, it all depends on whether the scheme is to drain money from these people or to create something of value. In my opinion, the desire to add a blockchain and the fact that they do not take money in advance from anyone shows that they are struggling to create something of value.

https://minepi.com/white-paper

2 Likes

It’s kind of funny. @JimCollinson is right that people can be sold on a promise. Granted these people have to participate daily and incentivized to refer people but it is with the promise that eventually they will launch and the coin might be worth something someday.

My friend subtly mentions the pitch that professors from top US universities developed it (thought I have read it’s mostly a fork of Stellar), that earning it so easily is worth it compared to paying tons of money to buy crypto. When I asked him whether he’d rather passively earn (by farming on Safe) he implied he liked the interactivity with the app. I thought that was strange tbh. Would you mind asking your acquaintances the same @Dimitar? Or could you speak to that personally? I’m wondering why someone would prefer to spend their attention and time to earn something when it could be mostly passive… like most people strive for passive streams of income.

1 Like

Most people love free money. That is all. Safe will require effort and if we don’t make the explanation clear enough that tokens have value (like currency storage value) few people will engage in farming in my opinion. The good thing is that the project is decentralized and as I said I will advertise it as earning free money in Bulgaria, so we can compare which is more effective in attracting new people.

2 Likes

I looked at running a node months back but it was Windows only IIRC.

They have 13m users already. How much common ground is there? I have not really looked into Pi in any depth at all.

1 Like

All my friends who “mine” Pi also have small MAID bags, so… :lol:

2 Likes

Why do you think having to interact daily is potentially preferred over passively? Maybe I’ve got a weird friend? Our whole bunch was weird since school though :joy:

It’s just easy and free. It takes 1 second to click on the button and it reminds you on its own. I think Safe will work the same way, it won’t be very passive. You sit down at the computer and start it.

If you have a phone interface to watch your money in your wallet grow along with statistics on how much space you have and charts to keep you interested will be cool too…

1 Like

I think stats and/or node health would be neat too. Mostly I think people like checking their daily crypto balance so I think that is one thing to keep people engaged. I think the idea on SNAPP is pretty great as ‘Safe’ management is within the same app that can introduce you to new apps or encourage you to store/manage files, or even publish a site. So that is good that engagement can be encouraged from the same app that will show your farming balance grow.

1 Like

Have you looked at the apps in Pi Utilities?

I earned 0.001 Pi for reporting I had no COVID symptoms.
Some KYC app proposals in their Brainstorm section.
The chat is crap, it makes you realise how lucky we are in here.

1 Like