Physically SAFE coins

With regard to this.
I would check legality.
Do you remember " cassicus coins " ?
Physical bitcoins, that guy got some big problems from the law.

5 Likes

Well if nothing else I can make some personal and they can be used as imagery of Safecoin. I canā€™t imagine there is anything wrong with that if they arenā€™t being sold or distributed.

1 Like

@Nigel I am wondering if you might be better off etching a die set and using a hammer create the copper safes that way. A lot quicker and only need to make new dies every so often as they wear out. Also you can let the laser spend more time creating the dies since they should last a batch. I know the dies will not be super hard metals since the laser probably cannot etch those, but you hopefully get to punch out 100 or more blanks and warming the copper to say 50 or 60 degrees will make the die last longer

2 Likes

I see this as one of the primary use cases. While the coins could have a unique number/string added, it would have to be known in advance of and that has some difficulties for our use case.

2 Likes

I think the trouble was due to the coins being preloaded with crypto (selling crypto without KYC)

3 Likes

Yes, he was charged with running a money transmitter business without licenses.

2 Likes

Indeed, they look great.
Just wanted to warn you.

3 Likes

Agreed. Each would have to be designed and ran separately. Would be fun to show it can be done though.

Thatā€™s a great idea. Iā€™ll look into and consider doing that. Aluminum and copper are both soft metals but Iā€™m guessing cold aluminum to die hot copper would be feasible for several separate runs. I would think engraving a die out of aluminum should be possible but I did one run where I engraved the design and it was all messed up so Iā€™d have to account for that.

2 Likes

I doubt Al would be suitable, it is very soft. Iā€™m not sure how much copper softens with temperature, but even pressing Al is likely to squash it.

2 Likes

Do you have any suggestions on a suitable material? I will have to look at what metals I can engrave effectively. I can set depth and power.

I wonder can Al be hardened? I think so. My brother in law could harden a die for me if I decide to pursue that.

No, I donā€™t know about laser engraving. Hardness is easy enough to look up so go for the hardest thing you can engrave and the softest thing you can stamp. TBH copper may not be a great choice because it tarnishes. Most copper coins are alloys, maybe to mitigate this.

I donā€™t know about hardening. Worth asking.

2 Likes

Alright, youā€™ve convinced me. If I do it it has to be gold! Haha. Not sure if Iā€™ll go this far yet but thanks for the input Mark. Cheers

1 Like

Silver is much cheaper and while it does tarnish, also keeps its shine. I guess there may be simple coatings you could apply and as these would not be in circulation the coating would last quite well. In which case copper would be fine.

1 Like

My suggestion: Donā€™t publicize it as a coin but a medallion. Might keep you out of hot water. :potable_water:

4 Likes

If you go ahead, I will will do a special offer on chest-wigs to go with the medallions

2 Likes

Hey @Southside is that coin you had made through coins for anything 33mm? And Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s a standard size?

2 Likes

They can do various diameters. I got sent samples of different sizes, finishes etc. I am sure there was one that would have been close to 33mm. The only one I have left is ~50mm. I think I posted a pic further up the thread. Its more of a medallion than a coin :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Southside Okay, Iā€™ve been in correspondence and I realized how small 33mm is and was wondering if it would look as ā€œimpressiveā€ or detailed at such a small size. I personally like the medallion size and I thought 2inches was perfect which is actually almost precisely 50mm. Which do you prefer? The photo you had shared in another thread looked like the 50mm

Couple more questions. There must have been two molds? Was the 50mm mold much more than the 33mm?

50mmm is better as a medallion and gives you a lot more ā€œreal estateā€ to get various messages across.

But I wouldnt like a pocket full of them - well not without a belt AND bracesā€¦

I am fairly certain they will be working off various standard blanks. Their ā€œdesign your own coinā€ tool will let you see the price differences between 33mm and 50mm. TBH I think my pref would be somewhere in the middle, 40-44mm .

2 Likes

Thatā€™s usually my answer for everything, haha. Well Iā€™ll see what they say tomorrow.

Iā€™m only looking to get a run of 10 for personal and then I want to make sure that I can share here for others to contact them and order. It would be nice to get a lot of use out of the mold and to give them the business. I really like them so far, thank you for the referral.

1 Like