Marketing Initiatives

If the supplier could somehow generate a list of the drive identifiers for all the drives ordered it would be fairly simple to check those numbers against the identifier being transmitted by the requester when he asks for the coins. Only allow 10 coins to be sent to each requester. The biggest drawback I see is the requirement for the requester to have access to a BTC address for the receipt of the coins.

I doubt this will be worthwhile though until we have a SAFE Network setup file we could place on the drive that would provide a simple install with a meaningful experience to be gained. The Folding@home setup file is a great example of how easy it should be. Those people at Stanford did a really good job with that.

3 Likes

A little engraving would be so cool. Something like: Get SAFE. Be free.

Thinking about people living under internet restrictions, or with a need for serious privacy due to political or other pressures, USB sticks that can get you on to SAFE and leave no trace on the machine, easily copyable and shareable offline, could become a big thing.

Iā€™m not sure if posting loads of USBs with SAFE into a country like that would be a good ideaā€¦ Or maybe it would? Would be a bold statement to be sure. Legally and ethically a tricky one though. In any case, just throwing the idea out in case there were some way to modify or use it here.

6 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Brazilian regime

Just not sure you would want to engrave that onto a USB stick to be sent into a country with strict censorship laws. Could get the sender and recipient into deep shit.
Nice slogan, though all the same.

4 Likes

I honestly had not even noticed how little sense that made aha oops. Slogan for the friends, and nothing for the countries who need privacy, indeed

1 Like

Great slogan

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Doing business in oppressive countries

A post was merged into an existing topic: Doing business in oppressive countries

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Doing business in oppressive countries

New member here (Dutch, living in Asia). Iā€™ve been reading many different posts the last few days trying to understand it all. I am not technical at all, so most of it is lost at me. Although I do believe I understand the basics, and I definitely like the no hype, just get stuff done first attitude. Technical wise I have no adde value, which is why I havenā€™t left a post until now. The idea about sending/selling USBā€™s is good, but imo 3~4 dollars per stick will add up cost wise. Wouldnā€™t it be a good idea to get plastic coins (a safecoin) made with with a nice print + QR code and an NFC chip encoded with the URL to a sign up/landing page? So they only have to read QR or tap the coin with phone. Once they signed up with email you can send them the link to the file. Can even make the URL unique, linking a wallet to each plastic coin?? Less efficient and not as fancy as a USB, for sure, but cost wise it could be done for +/- 0.12 incl chip and less than 0.05 with only QR. Theyā€™d be good giveaways at events or can be attached to direct mailings. Full disclosurešŸ™‚ NFC cards/coins are products I produce myself in China. Now I normally do not go around crypto currency forums promoting my wares, but reading this talk it did make me think about this, so willing to help set it up and get samples done if you guys like the idea.

11 Likes

I like this idea. I mean it is kinda a roundabout way to say ok just give me your email and I will send you a link. But people donā€™t remember to check for that later. If you give them a physical novelty item that ā€œcontainsā€ said links I think it is much more likely to see people follow though after they get home from the crypto convention or whatever.

2 Likes

Folks, have you heard about PARLER? It is a new twitter promising not to thave censorship!

What do you say the MAID Embassy set our flags there too?

3 Likes

Is PARLER run by a company or person?

If so then they will be constrained by laws of their country, thus censorship eventually. SAFE is really the only way since it is global run by the people

5 Likes

ThatĀ“s far beyond my reachā€¦ I donĀ“t know much about the laws in the US. I think it is american!

3 Likes

I would think it is French, but youā€™re correct:

But do they have no censorship, or only no censorship for like minded people? It certainly seems not very diverse (atm), reading that Wikipedia article.

4 Likes

The only way for knowing the path is travelling on itā€¦ only by looking at the map will bring no answer to your question!

3 Likes

my first instinct is ā€œlets just plant a flag on twitter then worry about these side husslesā€ ā€¦ but thinking about it a bit, most people on twitter might not care much about censorship. Even if Parler canā€™t be successful at being uncensored in the long run thatā€™s not imporant IMO. What we care about is that its a place that has collected/concentrated people that actually think about censorship at all. I would expect a large percentage of those to be interested in the SAFE network if we pitched it effectively. On twitter you will get alot of stonewall ā€œnot interestedā€ people that are really kinda a waste of energy to sell to.

4 Likes

Its a cesspit where fascists go to spout their bile.
An echo-chamber for arseholes - Enjoy.

1 Like

and you arnā€™t worried at all the SAFE network will include some of that? I am quite sure if it becomes popular there will be some assholes on there lol. If we are about anti-censorship we need to acknowledge this cost. If freedom increases some will abuse it.

I havenā€™t really checked out the platform, but I would hope its not all like that. I would think at least SOME people are there because their system of ethics entails ā€œgoodā€ things like freedom of expression. Lets reach out to those guys if we can. Of course there is really no way to stop the ones with ā€œbadā€ ethics from using the tool as well.

1 Like

No, Iā€™m under no illusions that ā€œfreedomā€ to some means they are free to espouse hatred and to share opinions images and memes that a large majority of us would find abhorrent. And the public perception of that is a factor that Maidsafe will need to counter , certainly in the initial phase.

As for parler, I dipped my toe into it and was appalled.
Still if its somewhere they can go and not bother the decent section of humanity then that is at least something.

Had to laugh at all the English nutters who hate anything European, and especially French, getting so enthusiastic about the French for ā€œto speakā€. But then the right were never that intelligent anyway - wish I could find the academic references that have proved that point in several studies.

Not at all surprised at who the fan in here is though :slight_smile:

2 Likes