Launch Planning: Community Update šŸš€

Why hello there, so Iā€™m doing my first Forum post ā€¦ :partying_face:

As mentioned in a few chats with some of you guys, am sharing with you a write-up regarding the plans for letting your network loose in the wild, it includes information around the role of an ERC token - and touches on some of the key pieces/activities for the coming months and requirements for launch.

The below will take you to the Autonomi Git-Book. Beyond appreciating you taking the time to read (if you can, thank you), I would also be super grateful if you could reserve judgement until youā€™ve made it through to the end, it covers a fair amount of ground, with new, news even in the last paragraph.

Please note: while weā€™re only sharing this on the forum for now - just so we can have a back and forth here - we will be happy to tackle some of the open questions related to the write up during tonights Discord stage as well.

Link to Write-Up

Bux :two_hearts:

37 Likes

First comment! :eyes:

15 Likes

First non-team comment :smiley:

Excited to read this one!

Edit now Iā€™ve read:

Wow - really interesting developments :slight_smile:

Quite the bombshell at the end there:

There will be a reduction of maximum token supply (by 50%)

Looking forward to hearing more details on the changes around the foundation and how token issuance will be handled towards that new lower-max cap (I guess now max token supply of 2,147,483,648 if I understand correctly?).

It will take time to digest, but I have a very positive view of the new ā€˜Network token ERC20ā€™ at launch, and ā€˜Native tokenā€™ that comes later.

I feel some advantages Iā€™ve thought of so far are:

• Launch can happen sooner than would be possible if the full development and testing of the Native Token were a pre-requisite for launch
  • If in the early days a network reset were needed due to bugs etc, it wouldnā€™t touch peopleā€™s token balances
  • Going forward, when both tokens are available, if anyone wants to hold the token, but doesnā€™t yet fully trust the Native Token, they can hold the ERC20 equivalent (assuming they are 1:1, and it will be possible to swap between them using some kind of bridge).
  • People can store Network Tokens on any hardware wallet thatā€™s ERC20 compatible
  • ERC20 compatibility gives huge access to DEXs etc
  • Potential for use cases to be developed where smart contracts engage with the Autonomi network, e.g. for adding bulk data storage options to EVM smart contracts
  • Potentially much bigger audience initially if Autonomi can become a kind of data-layer for the Ethereum ecosystem
  • Not sure if possible, but if the Network Token and Native Token are made interchangeable, perhaps itā€™ll be possible to make ANY ERC20 token interchangeable with an Autonomi Native proxy token, enabling Autonomi to be used as an L2 for EVM tokens?

As long as the development of the Native Token is prioritised, and the Network Token and Native Token are easily interchangeable, I think this is a fantastic development. Well done Autonomi, and bring on the next few months :smiley:

I do wonder whether ā€˜Native Tokenā€™ and ā€˜Network Tokenā€™ will be confusing to many thoughā€¦ why not just have ā€˜Autonomi Network Tokenā€™, and it can be ERC20 or ā€˜Autonomi Native / ATS20 (Autonomi Token Standard 20 / whatever)ā€™?

P.s. please let me know if Iā€™ve misunderstood anything/everything, as I just had a brief read through.

15 Likes

Interesting turn of events, I see your angle, I can understand why, final thoughts need some time to stew.

It is a big change, my initial concern is ~6 weeks to implement the erc20 token and have it all working for launch?

Max token supply is reduced by 50%, why?

6 Likes

So it turns out we are a blockchain network :rage:

7 Likes

Not sure that is accurate. I think the benefit of opening the door to the Ethereum community is definitely worth exploring the positives with a open mind.

12 Likes

No, the Native token needs more time - but we can start to scale ahead of then, is really the approach. Nothing about the storage is to do with blockchain, we should be storing data for those guys.

12 Likes

So when the native token is ready the erc-20 token will be removed from the network?

4 Likes

We aim to do optionally of both first, and then transfer to Native.

7 Likes

If everything works it will never leave and then we are just another blockchain project :man_shrugging:t3:

ā€œas a result of consideration around potential volatility of ā€˜privacy coinsā€™ (based predominantly on legislative influences). ā€

4 Likes

The fundamental is the self-custody storage network - thatā€™s nothing to do with blockchain, and even with a network token supporting initial scale I donā€™t think describing it as a blockchain project is an accurate depiction of the technology.

5 Likes

MAID and eMAID as legacy/origin tokens will convert to Network token, for those that donā€™t want to do that and wait for Native token (OMNI only) they will have that choice.

3 Likes

Since Iā€™ve been here weā€™ve talked about not being blockchain ā€œwe are differentā€ now we are using a blockchain project for our payments system :man_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

The network itself isnā€™t blockchain based, itā€™s not a blockchain project, and functions as before. The token is just one part of it, and accessibility is key.

7 Likes

So payments will still be free?

2 Likes

In a world of crypto where most projects are just tokens, itā€™s easy to to conflate them, but the token is not the project.

4 Likes

To add to thism the total daily active users in the Ethereum ecosystem was reported to be about 2.25 million in Q1 2024 - which is nearly nine times greater than in Q1 2020. We can try and use that to help Autonomi launch

8 Likes

Can we keep all fundamentals using the erc-20 token?

3 Likes

there is section on this in the write up, using an L2 the cost is cents (not dollars), and with batching we can reduce further. This will of course would be followed by zero with Native token, but the route to getting there, requires there to be demand for a token, and for that the token has to have value - for which we either need demand (scale) or accessible (ease).

8 Likes

Native starting January and erc20 starting October - right?

1 Like