"gossip" (news) fom discord and stages in one place

it should be permissioned by the node owner, whether they contribute their state, also very useful for debugging…, happens all the time out there… :wink:

It is though one of the aims for that to not be possible.

You can crawl the nodes though, and that way any client can get a picture of the size of the network, crawl more neighbours and get a better picture.

Also it being permissioned means that you could not expect an accurate picture anyhow. And if it was there people would want it off anyhow,

But the biggest point is that people running nodes on their NAS, SBC and dedicated PC will not be running a client on those machines anyhow, so the bigger node machines will not be reported on. I would think this would be a major inaccuracy without considering those who disable it.

For test networks then definitely it si something that could be added to the node s/w to send a startup message to the startup peer nodes and heartbeat every 8 hours or day.

1 Like

Back in the day there was a concept of sections, and sections had an ideal size. They would split as a section grew and had a predictable “name” as they split that kind of looked like a binary tree. There was a way to roughly figure out how many nodes there were by finding the biggest “name”.

I know we use a different system now, but we have buckets, and those buckets all have a number. Is there a way to get a rough idea of network size based on bucket numbers? Or does it not correlate like that at all?

1 Like

Yes, the closest bucket is the closest K (20) nodes we know of, so it’s equivalent to an old section. That gives us a very close network size guess.

3 Likes

And for a client, they can do this

• pick an XOR address
  • use the process to find the close nodes to that XOR address (same as it does for getting a price)
  • Then pick each of those node’s xor address and use those xor addresses to crawl further
  • repeat and rinse until have all nodes within a range of XOR addresses

The larger the range chosen the closer to the actual number will be the result, but the major downside is time taken and 2nd downside is the topology of the network may change too much in that time. Thus almost impossible to do the whole xor range and get an accurate figure. So better to pick a range with hopefully a few thousand nodes.

Permissioned is just that, they can choose to participate AND it can be anonymous, its just reporting state…

ie send state info for debugging purposes, anonymously

Yes that is the way I took it. The drawbacks (participation rate, no client on many machines) to me make it more unreliable than just having the client crawl a few thousand nodes connected to each other.

This actually has been done in the past and in their internal testnets. And I am in total agreement for testnets. With the live network though with hopefully millions of nodes, the data qty may be too high. Also being a privacy centric network it would seem this is not welcomed by many and may make the network appear to be spying back to a central authority that can be ordered by court to give up IP addresses and other data that may not be desired to be given out by many. Even if permissioned

3 Likes

Actually thinking about it, it would be possible, for nodes that wish to, to post debug data to a common register area on the network with debug info which is anonymous of course with maybe a self generated ID so that messages from the one node can be correlated together. Then any dev can scan those registers with the idea to fix a problem.

5 Likes

Bux and Jim Episode 5: Beta and Builders @ 7:23

3 partner-builders will be anounced this week, and showcased in next Tuesday Stages.

8 Likes

Can anyone provide info about this builder partner from yesterday stage? Thx (I have no idea what is it)

CLOUDPROX TURBOSAFE

2 Likes

And a brief summary of yesterday’s stages would be much appreciated! :pray:

3 Likes

Was there some “partners” announcement or something then in the end?

Keeping track of here and Discord (and Twitter, whatever happens there, I don’t know) is too much for me. I presume the team are busy and don’t have time to be doing up summaries of videos and discord/twitter spaces/chats/whatever they’re called, but there is a disjointed feel to the whole thing.

The discord seems to be mostly gifs and vibing anyway, but presumably the videos and chat things have some relevant information in them? Anyway, even following the forum is harder, because you aren’t sure if you’re getting the actual up-to-date facts.

EDIT: by summaries I mean text summaries there!

3 Likes

Agree. Even visiting Discord daily, reading all the messages and announcements, reading everything on the forum I don’t get important info.

… because I didn’t attend at Tuesday at 9pm for half an hour.

So I don’t know what was said about/by the partner builders which I understand was supposed to elaborate on the brief listing we had last week, which again I think only appears in Discord.

@JimCollinson Following comms should be easy, so can we have something like the dev updates where everything that has happened is summarised say once per week with as little to read as possible, and links for more info.

6 Likes

It was a chance for the builder themselves to walk us through what they are working on, and their bigger visions. It was very cool to hear from them direct! That’s the intention of the stages.

There will be a text summary coming, but it’s still the intention that it won’t be recorded to relieve the pressue of those new to being on stage, and allow folk to speak more candidly/off-the-cuff without the need for too much prep.

I’ve fed back your comments to our comms team though, we’ll see what we can do.

7 Likes

its me :sunglasses: What information are you looking for? website is www.cloudprox.com TurboDataSafe is WIP, looking for Community feedback and at some point CloudProx will pay for dev/qa test integration of Autonomi Network as contracted help, once the requirements and spec for a software appliance and hardware appliance set of skus are defined. It’s a journey. A Channel is being setup for this on Discord soon I am told.

8 Likes

Three autonomi builders channels are now live on Discord along with a summary of each project in the news section.

14 Likes

Hey cool. Good on you.

I did leave a message asking you to break up the blocks of text into paragraphs please like you do on the forum.

2 Likes

Yeah I cant get ctrl+enter to work in the editor using Brave Browser, I’ll have to dive into brave to see what is going on with their hot keys.

It could be discord