Funding for a MaidSafe project

As a MMORPG Veteran, I’m happy you’re starting a game project for the SAFE Network. I think entertainment is the easiest way to encourage adoption.

As a F2P (Free to Play) supporter, I’m unavoidably biased, but here’s my thoughts for what it’s worth.

P2W (Pay to Win) is an ugly stain in the gaming industry. But developers still need funding. Usually, they go to investors who want a guaranteed return. This creates a situation where the developer must get more revenue than the original loan. Most often, they resort to expensive cash shop items, early access, special benefits, etc… and it usually ends with a P2W atmosphere.

Game Features is another way to go. I saw a kickstarter project that needed XXX dollars to get the basic game started, then showed a list of features with smaller amounts to get it done. This gave supporters the option which features they wanted most.

This part is going off the reservation so I’ll put it separately.

In-Game Crowd Funding

How does in-game crowd funding work?

It’s a cash-shop that applies globally. Current cash shops only benefit a single player. This creates a division in player experience as well as P2W atmosphere. Solution? Let’s strip out the individual.

We present “new features” as a cash shop item.

Want player housing? XXXX Safecoins needed.
Want new mounts? XXXX Safecoins needed.
Want new monsters? XXXX Safecoins needed.

Basically, you will have never-ending crowd source funding.

This reduces the initial loan needed from investors. Long term, players support and guide development. Personally, I get way more excited inside a game, wanting to have a new mount or seeing a new monster, or new zone, than being outside a game. Since everyone benefits globally, there is no P2W atmosphere. I think players would constantly check the global cash shop to see which new features have been funded. Impatient ones would add more Safecoin to speed it up.

What about lack of instant gratification?

It goes against mainstream game mentality. But this is the way I see it. A P2W player follows a very short lifespan. They buy up stuff, beat on other players, then get bored, and quit. This new model changes the incentive structure from individual to community. And history has shown, strong communities extend a games lifespan.

I hope this has been helpful.

5 Likes