Discussions about marketing - forked from trading thread

Ok, if I’m reading this correctly it’s less about having the funds (although still crucial) and more about having the plan against which to allocate the funds. That’s understandable, and something I’d be keen to help think through.

Happy to help :blush:

See below:

As already indicated, my experience includes:

• Media planning for a $3B beverage company
  • Strategic planning for a $60B insurer, $12B tech company, and not for profit clients
  • Marketing, operations & sales for a $2B industrial goods supplier
  • Management & strategy consulting w/ Bain where I worked with clients across multiple industries and capabilities including growth strategy, organizational design, R&D strategy, marketing, procurement strategy, etc.
  • Currently lead a cross-functional innovation and product dev team for a $45B insurer
  • Hold a BA & MBA from the University of Chicago as well

I’ll pause there, but that should help paint the picture.

Precisely. Different skill sets. Both needed.

Appreciated, but what matters most to me is getting results.

I would like to think that I’m thinking…

The time to lay the groundwork and start building the foundation is now, thus paving the way for incremental growth.

In addition to goals, I also strongly believe metrics and KPIs are absolutely necessary. Exchange listings are a priority target, and I will revisit the earlier Marketing Initiatives proposal I already shared to see what else may be relevant/how we can evolve from there.

Thank you!!! I once had a client—executive brand manager (for that $12B tech company) laugh when I asked whether she was sharing marker research data with R&D. She said “we don’t do that here.” I shook my head and thought, “and you wonder why you can’t sell your products…” No brand platform or messaging strategy can fix a product that doesn’t stem from consumer-centric design. This is why involving marketing in the developmental process is so key. Spoiler: things have not gone well for that tech company b/c they refused to prioritize marketing and integrate consumer-centric design.

Yet another reason why marketing is necessary. If marketing had been central earlier on there would be much less difficulty around articulating Safe’s positioning.

Exactly. Products are important, but clearly not what moves the market in the short to mid term. If one leans on strategies and tactics optimized for the long term only, then one will not make it to the longterm.

That’s been done several times. Now is the time for action. At the end of they day someone has to do something instead of just talking about it and endlessly pontificating.

23 Likes