"DECENTRALIZE" - The Perfect SPIN Word for Manipulation

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to blockchain and related full-consensus technology, but would like to start this thread as I feel it is very relevant. With all the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency hype lately, the general public is beginning to become more aware of this technology. However with it’s inherent complexity most people will have no idea of what is the underlying technology or how it works. With that being said, people will be open for manipulation and propaganda by those who wish to use this technology for more power and control. As a community of people who understand this technology, we must do our best to ensure it is used in a way that actually helps to decentralize POWER, not just decentralize the network.

6 Likes

Welcome. Good to have you on board. Safenet won’t be using blockchain. It will use Datachains. A clear point of differentiation for Marketing. There is nothing that comes close to it

4 Likes

Doesn’t that kind of make blockchain look like a massive waste of storage and processing power? :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a wonder climate change activists dont start an anti campaign as they have against coal mining companies. Thats another great Marketing point. I should have been in Marketing

1 Like

^ this guy gets it. I am absolutely on the same train.

:+1:

1 Like

Mark Zuckerberg commented about decentralization on his FB several hours ago:

For example, one of the most interesting questions in technology right now is about centralization vs decentralization. A lot of us got into technology because we believe it can be a decentralizing force that puts more power in people’s hands. (The first four words of Facebook’s mission have always been “give people the power”.) Back in the 1990s and 2000s, most people believed technology would be a decentralizing force.

But today, many people have lost faith in that promise. With the rise of a small number of big tech companies — and governments using technology to watch their citizens — many people now believe technology only centralizes power rather than decentralizes it.

There are important counter-trends to this --like encryption and cryptocurrency – that take power from centralized systems and put it back into people’s hands. But they come with the risk of being harder to control. I’m interested to go deeper and study the positive and negative aspects of these technologies, and how best to use them in our services.

5 Likes

Yes and this… was to be expected
Zuckerburg to Study Cryptocurrency in Quest to Decentralize Facebook
https://www.coindesk.com/zuckerburg-study-cryptocurrency-quest-decentralize-facebook/

3 Likes

And we’ll have “facebookCoin” soon. What better way to centralise spending within facebook.

3 Likes

I doubt it…The Winklevoss twins will have to come up with it first.

2 Likes

Thanks! And Good point, but it is still a Distributed Ledger Technology, and the same warning still applies. This is why I said, blockchain AND related full-consensus tech, such as DataChain or HashGraph. They are still under the umbrella of ‘Full-Consensus Distributed Ledger Technology’.

Check this out:

2 Likes