Closed Poll: To Move or Not to Move

Yes! A bit off topic, but safenetwork.io would be an excellent domain for a website with SAFEnet resources. For the forum however I’m used to maidsafe.org. Ok a redirect link would work I guess.

2 Likes

Some ideas take longer to catch on… :smile:

2 Likes

this is how it stands and it’s pretty good I reckon, the ‘safe’ part has really grown on me and I reckon people will appreciate the reassurance that ‘safe’ evokes over terms like ‘bit’ and ‘block’

5 Likes

I agree with most of the sentiments here. I think there needs to be a big push towards separating the public perception of maidsafe the company, and the autonomous ‘SAFE network’.

There needs to be a proactive push for this distinction to be made prior to launch and definitely before there’s too much publicity. If the first big news report refers to the network as ‘maidsafe’ and not the ‘SAFE network’ then undoing that confusion would be hard. We need to remind everyone that by definition no-one can or will own the SAFE network, and that ultimately it belongs to everyone who uses it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

At the time I am writing this post, the results are 41 votes in agreement of moving maidsafe.org to safenetforum.org and 5 votes in disagreement.

So it looks like we will indeed be moving :smiley: .

I’ve made arrangements with DiscourseHosting (our hosting provider) and they will take care of the migration. I sent them the new SSL certificate for safenetforum.org yesterday.

And I just confirmed with them that the migration will take place this Friday around 11 AM CET.

They told me:

Downtime will be very minimal, two times 10 minutes maximum.

Once the migration is done, it will still work when you type maidsafe.org, but you will be automatically redirected to safenetforum.org. Same thing for any other links that contain “maidsafe.org” (e.g. https://forum.autonomi.community/t/poll-to-move-or-not-to-move/3306 would be automatically redirected to https://forum.autonomi.community/t/poll-to-move-or-not-to-move/3306).

2 Likes

Has anyone talked with the people that maintain maidsafe.net? The site still has the maidsafe.org link.

2 Likes

The buck stops with the COO on this one, total chaos :unamused:

We picked up on the ‘community’s’ choice to transfer the domain, but the actual transfer has not been coordinated with MaidSafe. I’m sure that that link will get addressed soon enough. @ioptio

EDIT: The move has been discussed with MaidSafe; I did not intend to imply the opposite. This has been a forum moderator initiative, and I am not aware of any attempts to sync the actual forum move with an update of maidsafe.net. I am only reacting to @chrisfostertv which I deem is quite inappropriate.

I assume that you’re referring to

http://maidsafe.net/get-involved

is it mentioned on other pages as well?

It’s also on the main page after the roadmap slide.

1 Like

Totally tongue in cheek mate…thought it might have been obvious without a /sarc

So instead of saying “hey mate give the guys some space, it’s hardly important right now” it’s suggested that “yes this is awfully lax and we should string the culprit up from the nearest tree”

2 Likes

Yes I would blame him as well @chrisfostertv. You just can’t get the staff these days :slight_smile: . I think @ioptio is busy with the MIT conference this weekend. The redirect makes sure all forum traffic from the site still gets there, but @Viv, could you or one of your guys amend the forum links from maidsafe.net to reflect the new forum domain? Thanks

4 Likes

I think it will need some new graphics but @Shona and @ioptio will know best

Sorry for overreacting @chrisfostertv :slight_smile:

All good mate, I’ll try and be a little more succinct :slight_smile: