Anyone interested in developing a Hardware Wallet for MSC and SC?

With something like a private key it is nice to have it ONLY on paper imo. I use trezor for everything non-omni, but I’m happy enough with air-gapped paper wallets for my omni assets. At least I know no digital form of my private key has ever been online anywhere. It feels as secure as my trezor given I still have to store my recovery seed for that on paper anyway. There’s no way around storing a bit of paper as far as I can see - other than SAFE’s more ‘memorable’ passwords. Trezor’s big advantage is that it is really friction-less to send coins and you don’t have to mess about making new private keys and swapping bits of paper when you do. I never touch my omni assets anyway, so I don’t mind keeping them on paper for now.

3 Likes

OK. You can just use a hardware wallet then. Unless you’re interested in a cryptosteel? I guess this, too, would go against your preferences?

I think hard copies have a valuable role to play. They are a very practical form of ‘out of stream’ backup. Out of stream meaning that it’s kept separate from the online networked area, which could be compromised.

2 Likes

Yes, I guess that’s true - however I inevitably lose bits of paper . .

2 Likes

If you lose the recovery seed you’re really screwed with any hardware wallet too. I’m on my second trezor, the first broke after 18 months. Keep your recovery seed very safe. I can’t lose mine, I’ve gone to pretty extreme lengths to secure it :wink:

2 Likes

Ah . . very nice! - no, this would not go against my preferences - I would be much less likely to lose that gadget . .

Thanks!

Yes, you are probably right . .

1 Like

Definitely - CryptoSteel does look interesting in that regard . .

2 Likes

While we’re on the subject I’d like to remind people about the importance keeping more than one copy of a backup solution in geographically separate locations!

4 Likes

I had my windpipe tattooed with my recovery seed. I’ve got a tiny USB inspection camera which I can use to recover my recovery seed. The recovery seed on it’s own, however, is useless. In order to get the correct derivation path to access my private keys a BIP39 passphrase is necessary. The location of this passphrase I’ll leave you to guess at!

:rofl:

2 Likes

lol :wink:

I split my private keys into parts and store them across multiple locations. Someone would need access to all the locations to steal any full seed/key and each part is stored in an equally indestructible way but with less hassle than the cryptosteel thing (laminated, in fireproof wallet and waterproof ziplock). It felt like a huge hassle, but that cryptosteel looks like it would have been even more annoying than laminating and shoving into fire-wallets and bags. I have too many keys for it to be practical for me really.

3 Likes

A better compromise might be to split in three parts and keep two different parts at three locations. In case one location is inaccessible, you have a backup. Good luck :wink:

I have gone even further than that, although this is one time I don’t mind a bit of ‘security through obscurity’ so I won’t give any more detail :wink: