Update 20 April, 2023

Just a short update-y update this last week! Here are the things afoot:

Transfers

Transfer fees are in place :muscle: . Basic double spend protection is in place :tada:

(This will be strengthened down the line). Wallets are now backed up to disk :tada:

And the CLI has been updated to do deposits and sends between wallets! :tada:

A couple of things still left to do before everyone can use this, specifically the sending to output the created dbcs so that you can hand them over to the recipient, and generating a genesis, but we’re almost there :slight_smile:

All great improvements to both the DBC functionality in the network and end user usability there. :money_with_wings:

Files

We now have some more user friendly File apis, rather than the lower level Chunk apis as previous. :muscle:

Node RPC

The the gRPC code from the previous code base has been flown in and set up to allow basic analytics and node control. :tada:

For example:

cargo run --release --example safenode_rpc_client -- 127.0.0.1:12001 info
Node info received:
===================
RPC endpoint: http://127.0.0.1:12001
Node Id: 8db048(10001101)..
Logs dir: /home/bochaco/.safe/node/local-test-network/safenode-1
Binary version: 0.1.0
Time since last restart: 247s

With these basics in place we’ll be able to expand functionality there relatively easily down the line :muscle:

Data replication

We’ve drilled down into when nodes are deemed “lost” in kademlia, and are confirming how this propagates and how reliably we can use such events to trigger data replication flows.

Those same flows are being worked on in tandem so we can hopefully get all that strung together in the near future. :muscle:

Once we have that we’ll really be able to hammer test networks, and will move onto working out what sort of churn this network can handle and tweaking things there, i.e., getting towards some metrics to measure idealised node sizes and counts in the network.

Hole punching

It seems like the quic implementation of libp2p isn’t as fleshed out as the TCP one. But, the neat thing here is that switching between the two is a only few lines of code!

So we’ve been testing out how hole punching might work with TCP nodes too and what more might be needed. :female_detective:

Useful Links

Feel free to reply below with links to translations of this dev update and moderators will add them here:

:russia: Russian ; :germany: German ; :spain: Spanish ; :france: French; :bulgaria: Bulgarian

As an open source project, we’re always looking for feedback, comments and community contributions - so don’t be shy, join in and let’s create the Safe Network together!

54 Likes

Early first :partying_face:

24 Likes

Extraordinary update! Thanks for all the work!

24 Likes

And I’m the third?! :)))

20 Likes

It can’t be! :slight_smile: I can’t believe it! :)))

I always read the Update first, then read the comments - and I ended up here anyway… :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Sneaky fourth

18 Likes

Filthy fifth

But seriously - great progress
Lots of loose ends getting tidied up here. Its all looking good for areally useable and feature-filled JoshNet

Well done to everyone for their hard work.
Yum-yums all round!!!

18 Likes

Thx 4 the update Maidsafe devs.

Short update, but extremely powerful, I’m supercharged for a week. 4 tada’s and 4 muscle’s, what an amazing update.

Can’t wait to test DBC’s again

Keep hacking super ants

19 Likes

Thanks so much to the entire Maidsafe team for all of your hard work! :horse_racing:

17 Likes

:confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:
Can’t wait!!!
:tada: :tada: :tada:

This rough diamond is soon going to turn into the De Beers Centenary Diamond, $15+ in the next crypto bull-market, taking Filecoin as a reference (although SN is way better).

David and Team, thank you so much for your perseverance and dedication! It’s clear that patience truly does pay off in the end.

16 Likes

When Miracles come true :boom: :full_moon: :fire:

14 Likes

Short and sweet. Thanks team! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Does that mean that applications will be interacting with node through gRPC, or it’s just administrative functionality?

Perhaps there could be 2 simultaneous networks, with QUIC and TCP? Just for comparison :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have no idea what that means. But great!!!

Seems like a great update all round.

15 Likes

:partying_face: :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

you see, i knew it must be good

7 Likes

Snap! …:smile:

9 Likes

I must not get excited.
I must not get excited.
I must not get excited.
I must not get excited.