SAFE Network Dev Update - September 5, 2019

:see_no_evil: let me get that sorted

7 Likes

Ah a human English explanation. I love it

Edit: the last 4 lines will determine the success for the network IMO

5 Likes

Question: Is the planned hackathon still on or delayed to post Flemming?

3 Likes

In short, we do rounds of testing at the end of each design sprint (or when we have a testable design hypotheses agreed, and packaged and prototyped in a way that we can gather meaningful results from a test).

These hypotheses are tested in person ,or via a Google HO with cameras on as a last resort, with no more than 5 participants per round. There are rapidly diminishing returns in doing more than 5, if the test is properly constructed, and testing is pretty time consuming, so we donā€™t want to over-egg it.

Testing is always done by members of the team designing and building the product, as itā€™s really really useful to actually watch people using your software. A joy when it a just clicks for the user, but also great to see your assumptions shot down, and a path appear. Humbling and invigorating!

Recruitment can be burdensome for sure, but we donā€™t outsource, and we always test on people brand new to the project.

Typically this involves approaching strangers, going through a screening question or two (scripted and determined by what we are aiming to test), testing with them whilst recording so it can be shared with the team, and then offering to buy a coffee as a thank you. Funnily enough, no one has ever taken up the offer of a coffeeā€¦ most people really love helping out, and just want to know more after the test!

The demographic is actually pretty broad, as we are making core network features that should be usable by large swathes of the population. Typical screening questions are things like ā€œhave you heard of Bitcoin?ā€ or ā€œwhat web browser do you use?ā€, which allows us to exclude people who arenā€™t regular internet users, or are so far off the map that they are unlikely to provide helpful results.

Screening, combined with the locations we use to recruit from, such as coffeeshops near university campuses, or financial districts, has given us a pretty good source of participants.

Iā€™ll perhaps go into more detail on what the tests showed, and how they influenced the designs in some of the screencasts after we get v1 of the Safe Network App rolling.

27 Likes

Unsure right now, I am personally much more in favour of keeping the pace and launch though.

35 Likes

I tend to agree. Full steam ahead. No distractions

12 Likes

Keep up the good work chaps and chappettes. Canā€™t wait for some time of work to have a play with all the new releases.

3 Likes

On the wider use of getting people to initially use the Network, it may be wortwhile talking to behavioural psychologists to identify and hone in and how to maximise chances of attracting a section of the right demographic.
Love them or hate them Cambridge Analytics did a brilliant job on Brexit and the Trinidad elections. The latter is a corker to watch on the You Tube videos.
There must be some appropriate people to chat to at Ayr University

5 Likes

Loving this! I think itā€™s a great idea!

10 Likes

Iā€™m not sure where else to put this, so Iā€™ll just post here. In the article on

I see the following terms that I think are used incorrectly or have not been defined:

UnpublishedAppendableData
PublishedAppend

Maybe ā€œAppendOnlyDataā€ should be changed to ā€œAppendableDataā€ everywhere?

6 Likes

Great update as always Maidsafe devs.

Congrats @oetyng Maidsafe couldenā€™t have picked a more suitable community member. I hope it also inspires other community members to just help code and get discovered. :tired_face: that the devs that iā€™ve been talking with are still Ethereum minded.

:kissing_heart: these tokens will only wake up on the SAFE network

Another 39 euros converted into money that can be used tomorrow :crazy_face:

Selling the SAFE network is so easy I got so many family & friends waiting to become farmers.

If the economist only knew
Have a nice weekend all you super ants out there
:stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Is just the frontend UI payment concept deprecated? What do we call a ā€˜chunkā€™ that is uploaded to the network?Is the concept of chunks sizes to be fixed or just pay some nanosafecoin per byte?

3 Likes

Massive update, really cool.

Thanks everyone for all the congratulations and kind words!
I am very happy and proud to now be working with this team and in this project. Itā€™s going to be a wild ride :rocket::smile::sunglasses:

It used to be AppendableData I think (could be that uses in the article were some rests from that), and was changed to AppendOnlyData, and I think that makes sense, since it is actually append only. ā€œAppendableā€ in comparison does not imply that limitation. Also, ā€œappend onlyā€ is used regularly in programming contexts for just this thing, from my experience.

25 Likes

@Oetyng You have so much skilll, I have thought too myself that there are probably few people in the world who make database structures on their spare time and I very much appreciate you and thoose who have that energy. Exiting times ahead.

19 Likes

Wow, just wow!!! This is an exciting update and tremendous progress is being made at an ever quickening pace. It is sending shivers up my spine watching this life-changing network coming into being. To the developers responsible and to this communityā€¦ thank you from the bottom of my heart! Humankind will be forever grateful for your contributions!

16 Likes

Thanks Jim, interesting work for sure.

2 Likes

It really is coming together quite nicely isnā€™t it?

At a very minimum we have the following sprouting up in parallel, maybe a perfect storm.

1. Browser on iOS and Android.
  2. Browser on computers and Laptops.
  3. Website management software.
  4. Fleming with all its bells and whistles, test safecoin etcā€¦ what sound like a FULL network test.
  5. Upcoming ruling on the SAFENetwork nameā€¦

All of the above point to a massive marketing push/ release coming up in the next few months.
Why release a network without the toys, the backbone and the name?
On Fleming release, the public (reached by advertisements or otherwise) will actually be able to play with the network.

Not to mention all of the known, and unknown websites and services being worked on at the moment waiting to shine on release day.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: We are so close!

2 Likes

bls shows 3-4 months is still needed for completion acording to github, then there is SMR and node agin to be done that is still alot isnt it
obviously no fleming in 2019

1 Like

To be not very optimistic about soon release date is best way to be surprised one day.

1 Like

I know, I keep saying Flemingā€¦ which is a little incorrect considering the barriers and tasks
being knocked out every week - the team are surpassing the original Fleming goals. It is full steam ahead to full release.

10 Likes