SAFE Network Client Testing Commences

I deleted the previous Launcher Archive, and downloaded it again. The size is identical to the first download.
I extracted it and launched it and I successfully registered. I don’t know why it worked this time.
Next I put the provided .pac URL into my Firefox browser proxy settings.
Now comes the interesting part:
I downloaded the MaidSafe Demo App, extracted it and launched it.
I allowed it in the SAFE Launcher, and the demo App started initialising and it eventually gave me the three choices shown on the web site.
I successfully set up my public ID: laocoon.
I had a quick look at Manage Websites and Files, and then
I went to View and Manage Private Data.
— I thought, what do I do here? Let’s try dropping a file into the window and see what happens.
What file would be appropriate to drop here? I decided to use the Star Trek pilot video “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. I was expecting to see the file listed in the View and Manage Private Data window.
But instead the pilot video started playing inside the Demo App window.
Where has this man gone?
Can someone explain to me what has happen?
How did the View and Manage Private Data window know to get a video player for the file that I was dropping in the window?
How do I end the playing video short of closing the Demo App window?
This behaviour was totally unexpected.
Thanks

1 Like

Congratulations on this development milestone! Going to give it a try soon.

1 Like

@mem I had a similar experience dropping in a photo, it looked like it was a photo veiwer and would even zoom in but the “publish” bar up top had disappeared and I ultimately had to close the app and restart

1 Like

Unfortunately, the demo app doesn’t support dragging and dropping just yet. We will definitely add this in the future but Iguess this was something we overlooked in the timeframe we had.

For now, you can add files using the ‘+’ icon at the top of the file explorer. See here:

6 Likes

So now the question becomes: How does the MaidSafe Demo App know to act as a photo viewer for Nigel, and a video player for me, and this while having a file dropped on it which it is not supposed to be able to deal with?
Maybe aliens are watching our progress and having some fun with us.

1 Like

Now I have been trying to upload a photo which is just less than one Megabyte.
It gets stuck at 51%. And then I got the following message:
“Could not connect to launcher
Failed to connect with launcher. Launcher should be left running.”
My Launcher is running!
Am I right in believing that status messages are getting lost in the SAFE Network, even without churn operating?

same for me. took me four login attempts to get in and now won’t load the demo App. Says ‘Could not connect to launcher’. A bit glitchy at the mo. Worked like silk for me for the past few days.
Maybe work is being done (late for Scotland)?

It’s one of the bugs being fixed, client silent disconnects. AFAIK it is already fixed in routing, but not 100% sure.

5 Likes

We don’t need an escrow site. I am willing to pay you 10 bucks in BTC at the course of 1 Jun 2016 if the Safecoin tokens are implemented in the network.
Important: I am referring to Safecoins, not TestSafecoins!

You can set a reminder, I will do the same. I am a long time user of this forum, so I will not dump my identity and run away :smile:. If you accept and will do the same, let me know, we can for sure tie the knot.

I’d say MVP is proved at this stage. Well done.
You should switch off. It’s 11pm!

1 Like

You sir, have a deal. I will take your bet. NLT 1 Jun 16, Safecoin
tokens will be implemented in the Safe Network. The winner receives the
equivalent of $10 USD (valued on 1 Jun 16) payable in BTC. I am certain
that both of us, for the sake of liberty, are hoping that I win this
bet. In any case, good luck my friend!

Todd

3 Likes

It’s my time now, 6 am last two nights, but makes for helluva long days so it does. We will move forward again this week and the next few till we have vaults in everyone’s homes and start the messaging and safecoin rollouts as soon as all looks well :wink: We creep along now with regular solid updates to the codebase. Nice thing is more folk will see some of the work at least. Most 80% plus is all behind the scenes stuff, but now even there we should see speed and feature improvements.

All in a decades work :smiley:

26 Likes

Dears,

I would appreciate so much if anyone could help me out on how to install the SAFE client (and wallet) to Linux Ubuntu 14.04.

I tried the Source code (tar.gz) from here:
https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_core/releases/tag/0.6.1

but could not make it run.

I already installed the libsodium version 1.0.8.

Thank you guys!

Grouba

How to download and install SAFE Launcher

3 Likes

would be great that safelauncher requests PIN each time that you want to grant permission to an app.

1 Like

It depends.

If the app is just an exe and nothing prevents me from patching or replacing the exe of a permitted app, why bother with getting a permission at all?

Welcome to the world of trusted computing :slight_smile:

The launcher should securely store hashes of permitted apps and linked code like libs/DLLs, otherwise it’s not very meaningful to ask for the creds every time.

It does AFAIK, well at least this is the plan. Too busy in lower layers to confirm, but for sure it will. It is also how we recognise upgraded apps etc. as well. @ustulation or @Viv will hopefully confirm, but this is the release mode for sure,

By extension, then, it would also be possible to create app reputation ratings, although one has to be careful with that (both when creating and using).
But at least few core apps (including the launcher, but that one with PGP keys) could be signed by the Foundation or something like that, so that one doesn’t have to start from 0 in terms of trust.

1 Like

If Safecoins are implemented : price rockets, you make 10$ like pocket money.

If they’re not : you win, you make 10$

This bet doesn’t look very fair.

1 Like