Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

released with the latest update and as far as i can see they’re all there

1 Like

Is there Windows here? I don’t see a windows binary.

1 Like

First one says win.zip

EDIT: your link doesn’t, another one also didn’t show windows, this one does Release safe-beaker-browser-v0.2.7-Windows · joshuef/beaker · GitHub

@joshuef

2 Likes

What do you mean by RFC ?

Request For Comment

As we introduce changes / additions etc. we go though a process of writing up a proposal then seek review and debate then if accepted it is implemented. It allows the community to see progress and what we are addressing at the moment. It also provides some documentation that defines the motivation and design of system components.

See here for a full description and the process happening in real time GitHub - maidsafe/rfcs: Request for Comment (RFC) papers and discussions on Project SAFE core libraries and APIs

2 Likes

but why put a hurdle in the way?.. the suggestion of the proxy being removed, seems odd to me. I haven’t see a good reason why that would be done.

Arguably, the proxy should always have been a separate service app anyway. It is doing a different job and doesn’t need to be part of the launcher.

There is also the question of security. Should this mechanism be part of the core product or should it be something people download and use at their own (security) risk? I suspect it was an compromise too far on this risk front, to be included in such a security sensitive platform.

Personally, I would like to see the proxy as a separate app, that could be run as a service for those who want it. They can then have it running all the time (even when the launcher isn’t) and have it available if needed. This would also be great for appliance software which may wish to talk to safe net without rewriting the communication layer.

I understand your frustration though, but at least their is an easy solution to the problem.

Reasonable points there.

No-one will mind if there’s continuity of that option. It’s fair not to be part of the core product or even advised but having option on it at users risk, preferred to some conservative sense of what is best for all people.

1 Like

Rust Sodium is at version 0.1.2

Refactor/low_level_api: update low level apis #258. This is quite a big one actually.

3 Likes

Safe Core is at version 0.21.0

10 Likes

Safe Core at version 0.21.1

2 Likes

This is new in the safe_examples repo:

feat/protocol_change: update protocol from http to safe (LINK)

This is the most clear evidence that the team is moving away from proxies and “mixed browsing” and moving to the SAFE Beaker Browser. Fully disconnected from the the unsafe internet.

And a immutable data refactor (not pulled yet)

9 Likes

A very good choice in my opinion!

3 Likes

but still .safenet? 20chars

I don’t know. Looks more like safe: or safe:// if I check the code. We’ll see.

4 Likes

What oh what will the tutorial be… perhaps MAIDSAFE would be so kind as to give us a hint… first letter of the name or a game of hot or cold. :grin:

2 Likes

My guess is this virtual file system from the roadmap maybe.

That means a mountable drive right?

1 Like

with zero to no substance to my claim I guess… messaging :stuck_out_tongue:
But is that too similar to email… or a logical progression. Hmmmm

1 Like

Actually, after reading the roadmap again, my guess is a contact-management system. Maybe with some goodies added in (chat?) but I think saving contacts is the bulk of the next tutorial

1 Like

I think a collaboration example is about to hit. In the roadmap it stated 1.Messaging & 2. Collaboration tool.

E-mail is very similar to messaging so I’m leaning towards collabo. Makes the most sense if the purpose is to showcase the flexibility of SAFE :slight_smile:

2 Likes