Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Closer than it was prior to the commit :slight_smile: That’s all we all know really.

15 Likes

That"s why I post version updates for the most part, these are implemented in the code, tested and finally “made it”. As you can see here few replies above is that caching is active again (better speeds on the network, data more secure). Also running several Vaults on the same computer is prevented (so no 20 nodes running from a single PC) and more. But this points for the most part to the next test. And when we’ve had TEST 5 we all can see how that worked out. So lot of great info in all this. No release date for the MVP, that’s right. But nobody really knows. All depends on how the tests work out. And when I look at the hack of the DAO I think it’s a great thing to test :grin:.

12 Likes

The Safe Vault got updated to version 0.10.0

5 Likes

Safe Core at [version 0.16.0] (https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_core/commit/f117cd0f731efce47990257a3326d0e0b00b0581) with quite some updates.

Demo App at version 0.3.0

The Launcher arrived at version 0.5.0

7 Likes

… seeking alpha … :wink:

1 Like

What is “streaming”?

NFS API updated with streaming

Does that mean we can throw away our memberships of Netflix? :wink:

4 Likes

With a market cap of Netflix around 37B i guess you can see were maidsafe would go if your right.

2 Likes

Netflix would have licensing issues, the major media companies that license content to netflix would not agree to the content being on the computers of the public. They would take the view that anyone can just copy it.

That is a very weak argument. It would require extreme ignorance on the decision maker’s part to not understand that if anything, the safenet would protect their content even better than possibly breachable netflix servers.

Have you followed the garbage around what the movie studios decide. It is exactly what they will decide.

In any case netflix has already installed better infrastructure in the local ISP centres for supplying content and as a second nail in netflix on SAFE, they are not going to throw that away on a system that is not even past initial tests. Maybe in 10-20 years we might see it.

Like Bittorrent the studios will see SAFE as a pirate system to steal their content. And bittorrent users will likely use SAFE and prove that SAFE is a better system to supply the studio’s content.

1 Like

I never indicated they would do it NOW. Just that if this project works as intended, they very well might. Timeframe IMO is 2 years of being in production and no issues being found.

Amazing that people can’t see the obvious. Netflix is not going onto SAFE. Netflix, the movie studios, News Corporation, etc, etc, are going away.

7 Likes

David Irvine answered this question.

5 Likes

This world you speak of @bluebird sounds like paradise :sunny: oh wait it’s the safe network! Even better :smile:

3 Likes

Yes and no. They will go away as they are but the smarter ones will surely adapt just as Facebook has a darknet friendly version per this Ted talk.

8 Likes

Facebook has a Tor address, sure, and it makes perfect sense.

The oligarchs seek to co-opt rather than destroy (cf. Marxism, created by a member of a banking family, that displaced the republican movements of 1850s Europe; and the color revolutions of recent years).

Tor has certain flaws that make it exploitable by global adversaries, and it was created by the US military. It is useful to them.

And, although I can’t quite put my finger on it, there is something not quite right about TED. That, and the Onion, I have the spider sense that they are laughing at us.

3 Likes

I may be missing something here, but couldn’t a content provider set up a site and load up videos and get safecoin for each view?

no subscriptions, no ads, no BS…and if I recall there is even a de-duplication function that would prevent a lot of the pirates…

This would seem to be a very easy and scalable model for sites similar to Netflix, youtube, etc…

1 Like

They could, but precedent suggests they won’t until it is too late.

The publishers of encyclopedias were way too late to the personal computer revolution; Brittanica went bust. The music and movie industries use lawsuits to fight the emerging models of online distribution. Blockbuster went bust after Netflix ate their lunch. A very few big corporations, such as IBM and Google, are nimble enough to reinvent themselves or logroll on the changing landscape, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

SAFE is unlikely to be on anyone’s radar. That’s goood!! For innovative, and piratical, ants.

One of my (many) dreams is re-streaming major sporting events. Occasional ads for other SAFEnet goods and services is the revenue model.

7 Likes

The small ones will and hopefully by the 100,000s of them

The large ones have used political donations to get governments to legislate to protect their old ways of business. In Australia they have donated millions and we now have obvious legislation enacted to protect them.

The others will use their grey matter and see the amazing benefits of SAFE

Yes, but unfortunately the netflixes of the world are bound to the license deals they can do with the major studios. But as @bluebird said SAFE plus the rise of the creative (N99 style) should start bringing the downfall of these “major studios” as crowdfunded movies and the like take over. It won’t be fast and like big oil will take a decade or more. “The technology is there but protective legislation props them up for many years”

EDIT: fixup of my bad english which @bluebird pointed out.

And the quote of what @bluebird said

1 Like

Hmm, I need to make the correction that I said nothing about “the rise of the creative”, which I’m actually a bit sceptical of.

I just want to help break the oligarchs IP game by giving their stuff away.

1 Like