Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

you probably have a cargo lock causing the latest version being used, that you could delete

do cargo clean and delete the cargo.lock file should clear up the compiling latest version

The igd issue is a compiler bug: `unexpected panic` when compiling the `lalrpop` crate · Issue #32530 · rust-lang/rust · GitHub
Rust stable, or the nightly from 2016-03-25 still works for me.

3 Likes

You know something tells me we might get vaults this week. they updated the vaults file on there and from the screenshots earlier it looks like they made some progress.

Bubble burst alert :slight_smile: Still a couple of (hopefully) small issues in vaults to add and a remaining issue in crust, so a wee bit to raw for deliver this week. Lets see though what the next week brings, probably couple in reality as these weeks are like hours to us at the moment.

Hopefully we progress client side API’s at pace though which helps app builders (the initial real customers) and will also help us create some apps when we get time.

18 Likes

Amen. Now’s the time to make backwards incompatible changes. I’ll also add that I am sure some of us would love to review or give feedback on any API designs.

2 Likes

Thanks, going back to Rust stable fixed the igd error.

Now I have just one more error:

Compiling safe_vault v0.5.0 (file:///C:/Users/user/projects/safe_vault)
error: linking with link.exe failed: exit code: 1181
[…]
note: LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘sodium.lib’

error: aborting due to previous error
Could not compile safe_vault.

I have double-checked the correct installation of the libsodium binary ( https://github.com/maidsafe/QA/blob/master/Documentation/Install%20libsodium%20for%20Windows.md ). I note also that that binary is called “libsodium.a” and that there is no “sodium.lib” anywhere on my system.

My MSVC (command-line only, I left out the GUI) passes its hello world test.

Is it possible that there is another binary, “sodium.lib”, that should be added manually?

I found the git repository for libsodium but it is C++ source code and I am totally unfamiliar with compiling it, and anyway I’m not sure if my thinking on this is correct.

Any ideas, anyone?

There are 2 ABIs for Rust on Windows:

• GNU ABI
  • MSVC ABI

And libsodium.a is for the GNU ABI.

This is the one I use and it works fine for me, but I have a special setup: MinGW-W64 compiler inside Cygwin environment.

1 Like

Oh, that’s news! That Windows.md page doesn’t specify that it’s only for the GNU ABI.

The GNU ABI was not suitable for my purposes, hence my use of the MSVC ABI.

I have now found prebuilt libsodium binaries for MSVC at https://download.libsodium.org/doc/installation/index.html (link on that page).

The static library file is named “libsodium.lib”. I renamed it “sodium.lib” and put it in the folder pointed to by environment variable SODIUM_LIB_DIR

I then did a “cargo build” and…

IT WORKED!

I then copied “safe_vault.exe” to "c:\program files\safe_vault" and I copied “safe_vault.crust.config” to "c:\programdata\safe_vault" as described here: https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_vault/tree/master/installer

I then started the SAFE launcher.

I could only find these command-line options for the exe, as described in the main.rs:

-o , --output= Direct log output to stderr and . If does not exist it will be created, otherwise it will be truncated.

-V, --version Display version info and exit.

-h, --help Display this help message and exit.

I then opened a DOS shell, changed directories to "c:\program files\safe_vault", and ran “safe_vault -V” which replied with “safe_vault v0.5.0”. Whoohoo!

I then created a shortcut on my desktop with the following properties, which seemed to make the most sense for possible debugging:

Target: “C:\Program Files\safe_vault\safe_vault.exe” -o c:\temp\safe_vault.log

Start in: C:\ProgramData\safe_vault

I ran the shortcut and I see that two new files have appeared in C:\ProgramData\safe_vault, as expected:

bootstrap.cache
safe_vault.vault.config

This is what I see in the safe_vault.log (just one line):

E 23:46:09.273086 [crust:…c128001ac3a9a\crust-0.9.0\src\service.rs:230] Failed to start listening for peers.

Why is it failing to start listening?

1 Like

If you have one vault running it will steal the listening port. You may have inadvertently started one first. You will see this log message on all others.

2 Likes

Thank you. I just now rebooted (and also turned off the firewall) and I’m getting the same result: failed to start listening for peers.

Hmm can you run another node and see if it joins this one?

just to ensure what we are doing here is correct

and after that “cargo run” in the safe_vault directory

=>

E 01:35:48.142548 [crust:...c128001ac3a9a/crust-0.9.0/src/service.rs:230] Failed to start listening for peers.

here too

ps: when the launcher is not running besides the vault i simply get no feedback Oo … no error code but no other feedback either …

pps: 1 vault with no feedback + another started results in the first error that comes up when having the launcher running wile starting it

ppps: @bluebird what i’m simply doing all the time is the “cargo test” command which runs the pre-configured tests implemented by maidsafe - that generates much output and you see that something is running =D

1 Like

This is the second vault error as the first vault got the listening port.

There is a service_discovery crate we did a while back. It allows nodes on a LAN to find each other. So they listen on a udp PORT. Only one per machine can do this, so subsequent attempts from other nodes on same machine fail to get that port (it’s OK though) and print the error. It could say “Could not get port, potentially another node is running”.

2 Likes

okay - and the launcher uses the same port too …? (the last released precompiled binaries)

1 Like

I shall indeed do so first thing in the morning.

1 Like

OK! So I just now ran cargo test and it seems OK although it appears to be stuck at the final “get” test for 15 minutes now. I have pasted the results at pastebin.com to save clutter in this thread:
http://pastebin.com/raw/qKU6a6WY

1 Like

I tried that just now: Two nodes, running at the same time on the same LAN, show the same error message as with the single machine above. I checked the rules on both firewalls, and they are open.

it’s that day of the week again… yay!
and this thread is surprisingly silent… any guesses?
or do i need to create a pre-pre-dev-update thread :wink: ?
everybody waiting for vaults i guess - same here

3 Likes

i think it’s going to be a few more weeks…

2 Likes

The network will never launch, MAID is going to zero and that’s being optimistic.

I bought 2,000 MAID domains and as an investor I’m entitled and want the MVP yesterday :baby:

sarc/

15 Likes