Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

Nothing in Revelations…?

2 Likes

Not as far as I can tell. I don’t suppose the sun has become black like sackcloth of goat hair in your neck of the woods has it?

3 Likes

This kinda suggests that binaries will be available very soon for v0.21.0

which is nice cos then
willie@gagarin ~> safe vault install
Latest release found: safe_vault v0.21.0
Downloading https://safe-vault.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/safe_vault-0.21.0-x86_64-unknown-linux-musl.tar.gz
[ 00:00:00] [========================================] 45B/45B (0s) Done
Installing safe_vault binary at /home/willie/.safe/vault …
[2020-03-03T23:26:32Z ERROR safe] safe-cli error: Error extracting binary from downloaded asset ‘/tmp/safe_vault-0.21.0-x86_64-unknown-linux-musl.tar.gz’: UpdateError: Could not find the required path in the archive: “safe_vault”

is likely to work.
I’m going to try building it myself which hopefully will allow me to do this, as threatened in the latest update of https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-api/blob/master/safe-cli/README.md#run-a-local-network

6 Likes

Can’t tell I’m afraid - it’s dark and windy here and the very walls reverberate with portents - or maybe its the local boy-racers across in the car-park…

2 Likes

The boy racers. Are there four of them? On horses?

4 Likes

Nah 2 Hondas and a particularly badly tuned Subaru.

Talking of horses and boy-racers… The Rubberbandits - Horse Outside - YouTube

1 Like

Phew, but still. Close. The plague and all.

3 Likes

Toyota Coronavirus

3 Likes

Bless you! [and other things to make up the wordcount]

2 Likes

I have baby-fleming running here - well sort of…

can’t connect to it yet though …

I did
safe networks check
safe networks switch my-network
safe auth stop
safe auth start
safe auth status
safe auth create-acc --test-coins

Did I miss anything?

safe_vault is hammering my CPU

EDIT: After I got the 8 vaults running message I then ran
safe networks add my-network

At first I thought I was failing to connect cos I was looking for my-vault but then I ran the safe networks add so when I do
safe networks I get three entries

but after doing
safe networks switch
and re-starting authd I still fail to connect.

12 Likes

Think I might have found the problem
dunno yet how to sort it

safe networks add my-network
adds config info at /home/willie/.config/safe-cli/networks/my-network_vault_connection_info.config

That file begins with …

{
“peer_addr”: “127.0.0.1:51757”,
“peer_cert_der”: [

Note port no 51757

But the vault launch message said
Launching genesis vault (#1)…
Genesis vault contact info: [“127.0.0.1:46223”]

8 Likes

Sounds like a bug, we have a couple of UX type bugs to sort out. This looks like one. Perhaps an old config somewhere @lionel.faber and @bochaco I think had something similar earlier today.

Thanks Wullie, we want this to be as simple as possible (I want fully automatic and CLI questions where there is conflicts) and this feedback all helps.

13 Likes

Dunno where it got port 51757 from ? I presume it picks ports randomly
THe only port I can configure is the endpoint for the auth daemon and I have always just left that at the default
I’ll kill it all and try again if I get no joy I’ll write it up as an issue in Github

4 Likes

Teamwork makes the dreamwork :muscle: .

7 Likes

Hey @Southside, when you run a vault locally it should rewrite your default vault_connection_info file but I think you can try a quick hack. You can try creating a new .config file manually and put your genesis vault endpoint in that file (example below). After that you can try adding that in the cli to connect to the locally running vault.

New file should contain address in this format:

"127.0.0.1:64356"
7 Likes

Awesome @Southside, useful canon fodder as always :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I see you also using htop :+1:.

Suggest we include network monitoring tools in the toolbox. Bandwhich is very good, you have to build it from source but that was a breeze.

3 Likes

Yes bandwhich is good, I have it on both desktop and laptop. So simple to build, even I managed it. Seriously , dead easy, no issues at all.

2 Likes

Thanks @ravinderjangra

It does seem some of my problems last night were due to an incorrect config file.

I’ll update the issue I raised. It was late last night and I raised it in maidsafe/safe-network-launch-tool when it should have been raised against vault, I think

However I still cannot connect, but the timeout is a LOT longer. I have logging at -vvv on the command line but I think it will only report at -vv according to this

This is tail -f safe-vault-genesis/safe-vault.log

CPU utilisation is constantly at 100%

but it is a unoptimised+debuginfo build…

its certainly talking amongst itself

6 Likes

Debug builds will be cripplingly slow, even when we are launched proper. It’s the cryptography in debug mode that’s painfully slow in debug mode. Bet to always test networks in release mode for sure.

8 Likes

Should I wait for the 0.21.0 vault binary to be released then?
Hopefully v soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes