Node age and relocation

This is part of the issue. Relocation for a young node is cheap for the node, too, with not too much to lose. So it’s still easy for the attacker to add young nodes until they get to the section they want.

This is also the problem. For the fee to be enough to put an attacker off then it’s almost certain to be enough to put off the poorest from joining. Plus the fee has a circle jerk type approach. Poor may farm to get initial cash, but they cannot if they need initial cash to join.

They just join and see where they land. If it’s not where they want and if joining is cheap for them then they restart and do it again.

is answered perfectly well here

Thanks @tfa

I think you can see now why node age and relocations are a powerful mechanism. Good to see it for what it is, but yes, relocations are a PITA for sure and having an integer value for age is also a pain.

I think this is a worthwhile investigation, though, for sure. If nothing is will cement the power of node age and it’s a loose relationship with a staking-type protection. Still, it feels too complex and I feel there is a clever simpler move here. We will see, though, but it never costs us to think about it deeply. There is a lot at stake here.

7 Likes