Low tech examples of making profit from farming

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

mmm, sounds pretty beefy. Think this will be my first RasPi.

1 Like

I looking at these Pi-zero 2’s AU $26.10 (buy 10-25)

And following neo’s thinking now, noticed that micro-SD’s are now quite large (when did that happen?) - can get 256GB one for AU$36 … So could run max nodes and have some spare on the drive which will help with it’s lifespan.

So could get 10 of each for AU$621. I’ll have to look into the NFS option - probably cheaper but maybe too slow.

Don’t know if I’m outdated but don’t the MicroSDs wear out much faster than an M.2 or other such laptop/desktop SSD would? And aren’t their read/write speeds like way worse also?

4 Likes

There are differing grades, but the larger they are generally the faster. The one’s I’m looking at now can write at about 90MB/s and 200MB/s read … read is maybe more important? Also having some extra capacity helps to deal with wear.

I think I will start off with one and experiment to see how many nodes it can run as that would determine the drive size and verify the read/write is sufficient. Can always switch to external USB if read/write isn’t good enough. I just like the compactness of this configuration. Small Pi zero with microSD, means only one cable - for power and possibly for ethernet --if wifi isn’t so good.

Yea I hear you, I mean I would want to use a MicroSD 512GB or 1TB. I would just worry that using it for a NAS would kill it like 10x faster than using a 512GB or 1TB, M.2 drive in one of those sleek external enclosures.

There are even those ‘short’ M.2 drives that are only like 1 inch long. Might be more expensive because they are rarer but haven’t looked.

2 Likes

Maybe, but wouldn’t go with NAS if I can just do this for each pi-zero. It’s cheap enough and will be faster than NAS or NFS I think. If going with NAS or NFS then definitely get a faster drive.

why not 8TB HDD?

I want some idea at least rough,how many maid I can earn from farming, can somebody share his number from latest testnet and how many space their provide?

1 Like

Next testnet will be coming soon. Maybe try starting up a few nodes and see how you do?

1 Like

I am not IT expert number one, I rather rely on some easy node setup coming, (like GUI)

1 Like

Fair enough … it’s maybe still a bit tricky without hole-punch just yet - hopefully that will be on the road map.

I haven’t run nodes yet either for that very reason. That said, I don’t know that you’ll get much info about rewards anyway. All in the testnets are volunteers and don’t actually earn anything, so they have no incentive to leave if the price goes too low. – In short we won’t really know what is possible to earn until we have a live network.

I would expect it will be near cost though - don’t expect to get rich. Who know though the early days of the network may pay more or less than in the future - before it becomes large and stable, hence may get a lucky payday or three.

3 Likes

Why is it necessary/recommended to run more than one node on a machine?

2 Likes

Nodes are fixed in size (this is by design) - currently 2GB. So you can run many on one machine. You don’t have to of course, but if you have spare capacity running multiple wouldn’t be too hard and the more nodes, the more earning potential.

10yrs following this project and i didnt know that! Thanks.

I guess the 2GB figure is just for testnets and will increase. correct?

1 Like

I don’t think it will necessarily increase, could even decrease. But maybe stay the same. They’ve built a node-manager software and this will make it easy to run as many nodes as you like from one interface. So in reality for the user 20 nodes will be as easy to run as one.

3 Likes

ok then i have misunderstood something.

if you say 2GB fixed and i want to farm with a 4TB harddrive, I would need 2000 nodes?

1 Like

Yeah, you won’t be able to run that many nodes I think. Each node uses a certain amount of processing horsepower and RAM. So it adds up. They have worked and continue to work to reduce the computational and memory needs of each node to maximize the number of nodes that can be run, but effectively there is a hard limit.

OTOH, this really forces decentralization. Billions of smaller nodes split over a lot of computers as opposed to just a powerful machine with huge hard drives or massive NAS.

2 Likes

IMO, the real “profit” that will be made with the network is decentralized data storage and privacy … not so much in terms of $$$SNT earned. Certainly the SNT earned have to cover enough of the cost such that people stick around and continue to host data, but maybe won’t be the main reason that most people run nodes.

If you would go for MicroSD cards, industrial grade cards would be better as consumer grade cards are not used to continuous writing.

Both WD (Purple line) and Micron have them. They are build for continuous (re)writing and have been specially designed with Surveillance cameras in mind. Depending on the Mbps writen they could outlive cameras. Now the safe network might be a very different beast, but I think 1TB lays around $200USD. Don’t know what a similar sized SSD would cost.

1 Like

Prob couldn’t use it with current node sizing. 4000 nodes on a PC is prob way too much

Also a number of 8TB drives are SMR drives and they can be extremely slow at writing if you write more than the cache size in the drive. And I mean slow.

When you can run 20 you have 20 times the earning capacity. At 2GB disk per node it is easy to run 20 nodes assuming your PC can handle the load and it seems most reasonable consumer PCs can.

Not sure on this. Churning with large sized nodes causes a lot more traffic when a new node appears or one dies. Obviously if you turn off 20 nodes at 2GB then the traffic is still upto 40GB. BUT the kicker is that the load across the network is spread out since the 20 nodes are each at their own random XOR address.

To increase to much larger also means cutting off the small sized phones, smaller sized tiny computers. The smaller the node size the more inclusive the network is for node operators.

5 Likes